My NAV is awful

When I picked up my SEL a few weeks ago in Philly, I could tell the Nav was a problem when I was travelling on I-95, but the map placed me on the runway at Philadelphia International Airport. (I did not have Air Traffic Control clearance for this...)

Took the car back to the dealer, where they stated "we re-programmed the satellite connections", and the Nav has been spot-on since; it places the car accurately to within a few yards. Now if I could only get the phone to download the numbers off my Galaxy SIII....

My Nav has been hit and miss, although to tell the truth most nav programs except for Google Maps is generally lousy for Alaska.  Sometimes the location is spot on and other times I will turn where indicated and it suddenly show me off route and halfway between blocks.

Today was the first time it went off the deep end.When I got to my destination it was telling me to make a legal U turn to go back.  I went ahead and turned the car off and went shopping.  When I came back, the car promptly reported a navigation error, see the screen which was blank.  When it eventually came on, I backed out of the space, and when I shifted into drive it came back with the navigation screen but with a frozen image from the backup camera in the background.  Presets on the radio where blank.  It took a couple restarts and switching between various options until it recovered.  I will find out tomorrow and if necessary do a hard reboot.

Well...another crash this afternoon as I headed to the gym. Pulled Max out and it was 55, which is chilly here. As soon as I put it into drive the whole LCD froze, the mp3 was playing though. No response whatsoever. Kept driving and in a few more minutes, the song started sounding cutting in and out and then a black screen on the LCD. Next thing I get the schedule maintenance screen...ala BSOD (Black Screen of Death). 

Kept driving and booted up fine. It was weird. No ryhme or reason and I didn not even touch the voice activated paddle either.

Next.... :waiting: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

MyFordTouch is what is going on. My regional rep could only say "there is no ETA for the update release."

This is really the worst software experience I have ever had, and I am forced to use it without any alternatives...

I'm coming around your way. I can accept some crashes but 2 days in a row and as I am on long drives, it would drive me nutz not to have any music. One tell tale sign is that part of the display appears to be "missing" - its as if the software does not know how to draw the navigation or the entertainment graphics/lines/boxes - just a blank wall paper background.

*sigh*

Probably not, they're all driving Teslas or Prii. Not b*tching but Its as if they dumped the Millenium/Vista team into the Sync software. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh x 1,000,000,000,000  :rant2: 

This is going to be a BIG discussion point with the Ford Engineers when I meet them in 2 weeks time. I'm off to do a master reset now, hopefully, that may stabilize my MFT.

It may be "powered by Microsoft" but I put the full blame for the MFT glitches on Ford. In the end this is Ford's vehicle and they gave the stamp of approval to start production using MFT despite all the problems. If I had bought my MFT/Nav radio from a retailer it would have already been returned with the explanation that it was a defective unit.

In all fairness to Ford when it works it's awesome and I actually enjoy the interface. But unfortunately it's just not consistent enough and the glitches are just too many.

Yeah, my Chrysler UConnect was trouble free. Not the most exciting thing but it worked great.

isn't Uconnect just a glorified Bluetooth connect for your phone? The Bluetooth pairing works great here also, only drawback is I want multiple phones active at the same time so that I can make and accept calls on two phones on a simple voice command like "call my id1ot boss on work phone" or "call girlfriend on personal phone"

No, UConnect started out as just the Bluetooth. When chrysler started the stuff - the entertainment was called MyGig, started around 2004 maybe....

Similar to how Ford has Sync and MyFordTouch.

About a year after I got the Chrysler one of the updates merged UConnect and MyGig and called the whole thing UConnect.

It was the system which did everything such as running two DVD players on three screens. It had a 10GB hard drive (later models got bigger drives). It had USB ports that I could connect external devices to. It had Aux in. It had navigation. It had Sirius radio. It had a back up camera.

It was very stable and always worked. It's main processor was much much less powerful than the one in MFT. It had less memory too.

MyGig/UConnect was based on the QNX operating system. It was made by a company called Harmon Becker and they would actually respond to emails and listen to suggestions. Although I believe eventually Chrysler took control in-house, but I stopped following that all in 2011 when we traded the van on a Camaro.

:)

My nav system never shows up!   Oh wait, I didn't order it!  ;)

This does bring up a question: do most people who have had really quirky problems with MFT have nav?  I have had a couple glitches, but nothing as dramatic as what some people are reporting. Hmmmm....

I have nav.  Everyone is going to define dramatic as differently.  I've had a few quirks w/ MFT, but overall am very happy with it.

While not as sophisticated as the MFT Nav, I have to say my 2007 Jaguar navigation with the ole DVD was far more accurate and stable, and kept track of all my past destinations. And you can change the voice as well  ;) 

Another fine example of the accuracy of the MFT Nav... 

8477243215_c432aa54d1_c.jpg

Bring on the update. Please.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

No, UConnect started out as just the Bluetooth. When chrysler started the stuff - the entertainment was called MyGig, started around 2004 maybe....

Similar to how Ford has Sync and MyFordTouch.

About a year after I got the Chrysler one of the updates merged UConnect and MyGig and called the whole thing UConnect.

It was the system which did everything such as running two DVD players on three screens. It had a 10GB hard drive (later models got bigger drives). It had USB ports that I could connect external devices to. It had Aux in. It had navigation. It had Sirius radio. It had a back up camera.

It was very stable and always worked. It's main processor was much much less powerful than the one in MFT. It had less memory too.

MyGig/UConnect was based on the QNX operating system. It was made by a company called Harmon Becker and they would actually respond to emails and listen to suggestions. Although I believe eventually Chrysler took control in-house, but I stopped following that all in 2011 when we traded the van on a Camaro.

:)

I see, the last Chrysler / dodge / Plymouth that I swore I would ever own or pay attention to was the Plymouth Superbird, have leased almost nothing but ford products since then except for the one H1 I owned for a few years, still kicking myself for selling the Superbird

While not as sophisticated as the MFT Nav, I have to say my 2007 Jaguar navigation with the ole DVD was far more accurate and stable, and kept track of all my past destinations. And you can change the voice as well  ;) 

I don't see this type of error at all. Its slow to update during turns and sometimes freezes but it works well otherwise.

I don't see this type of error at all. Its slow to update during turns and sometimes freezes but it works well otherwise.

I'm going to throw this back to Galpin next week (if I have a free day) rather than wait for a new update and show them the photo. To be off by a road is length ain't bad as most GPS are off by a yard or two but that photo is RIDICULOUS. My SkyCaddie is way, way, way more accurate than this pos MFT Nav. Yes, I said it...pos...  :nonono: 

Today my wife took the car to visit a college with my daughter.  The NAV couldn't even find the entrance to the freeway.  Luckily she knew how to get on the Interstate and had printed out directions to get to her final destination.  That was her first time she tried to use the NAV in this car and she now agrees with me that this is the worst navigation system available on the planet!  On the bright side, since we linked her clock to the GPS it has never lost the correct time!  Hmmm...  we paid a grand so that the clock is right!  I can't wait for the updates to be released!

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I was in a parking lot waiting for my wife.  I turned on the Nav. and it showed me about 1/4 mile north of my position.  I pressed my finger on the map where I actually was located.  The Nav suddenly moved to show my true position.   May be a fluke but I think I'll try this next time I'm out and the Nav shows me off road.

I just use my eyes and read road signs. Getting lost is half the fun. ;)

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Generally my process is to look up the address before I start, get a general idea in my head, and then I go find it by hand. Sometimes I will pop up nav to check distance but mostly if I get turned around or something I'll pull off the road and pull out the phone and re-orient myself.

I geek out on maps though. So sometimes I play with nav just cause.

I do like GPS data though, a cool GPS screen would be a bonus. Speed, altitude, trajectory, number of satellites, junk like that...

This is what I get on my C-Max Energi, except it was so far off once, the interstate was off the screen. Almost 1/2 mile out of whack, I think.

Anyone hear anything yet about updates?