Backup Camera only works 30% of the time, error message see dealer

So my Wife's 2013 C-MAX keeps getting a message that the backup camera is unavailable and to see the dealer.

When she took it in today for something else they told her the camera was bad and had to be replaced at the cost of $900+.

Now a few things, when the backup camera stops working, the whole touch screen stops working also.   How would this be a bad camera.  I feel like this would be an issue with the MyFord Touch System and fall under the 12M02 Extended warranty on the unit.   Anyone run into this?

The BCM communicates with the camera module via a Local Interconnect Network line and the video from the camera goes to the APIM module (aka the SYNC module)..  Since you got the message that the camera is unavailable, perhaps the BCM got a response from the camera module that the camera system failed or got no response from the camera module.  It's also possible that the response from the camera module was OK but the APIM did not detect a video signal from the camera and hence the message.  

I assume the touch screen starts working again after one shifts out of Reverse?

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Did they troubleshoot the problem or just say what it costs to replace camera.

You may just have a bad connection at the camera or the other end MFT screen.

I don't know how much they fully looked at it.  Her car was in because the O2 sensor they replaced 5 months ago somehow came loose again.

The BCM communicates with the camera module via a Local Interconnect Network line and the video from the camera goes to the APIM module (aka the SYNC module)..  Since you got the message that the camera is unavailable, perhaps the BCM got a response from the camera module that the camera system failed or got no response from the camera module.  It's also possible that the response from the camera module was OK but the APIM did not detect a video signal from the camera and hence the message.  

I assume the touch screen starts working again after one shifts out of Reverse?

The touch screen completely stops working.  So even after the car is back in drive mode the touch screen is unresponsive until the car is turned off and restarted.

I believe there should be a DTC for the message.  Is there any listed on the service order?  The SO should describe what the dealer did / found on the issue. Evidently, the modules are not resetting without  turning car off / on.  It may be designed that way.  Make Sync  inoperable for a camera failure so customer becomes frustrated and ops for a new camera rather than restarting after every reverse to enable Sync.  :) 

What version of Sync is installed?  Make sure you have the latest version.  Dealer will install latest version free per 12M02.

Unfortunately, if a non-warranty item (camera) causes a warranted item (APIM) to malfunction (not reset when the car is taken out of reverse), 12M02 would not apply.   How does an owner determine what is causing the problem - the camera or the processing of the video by the APIM without replacing the camera or the APIM and testing.