2014 C-Max, Sync 2 without touchscreen and Siri Eyes Free

I've been having an issue since I got my car in February. My iPhone 8+ will sync via bluetooth to the C-Max, but Siri is unusable. If I activate Siri it'll try listening, but won't actually hear me talking. I took my car to the dealership and got them to update the software(which was a waste of money because I could have done it myself), so I believe I should be running the latest software for my car.

I see in this video the voice button should work, but it seems to only activate the nearly useless built-in Sync voice commands. I've tried holding onto the voice button for short presses, long multi-second presses and it still doesn't want to activate Siri.

I've been having an issue since I got my car in February. My iPhone 8+ will sync via bluetooth to the C-Max, but Siri is unusable. If I activate Siri it'll try listening, but won't actually hear me talking. I took my car to the dealership and got them to update the software(which was a waste of money because I could have done it myself), so I believe I should be running the latest software for my car.

I see in this video the voice button should work, but it seems to only activate the nearly useless built-in Sync voice commands. I've tried holding onto the voice button for short presses, long multi-second presses and it still doesn't want to activate Siri.

https://youtu.be/cGyT2Xm6nxw

In my car, I have my iPhone where I can see it, on a mount. Typically, I'll hold the "voice button" until what looks like an outline of the front of a car comes up on my iPhone screen, and then let go. It seems like I need to hold it several seconds, at least 5 or so.

I think there is a distracted driving mode setting on the iPhone that might interfere with Siri Handsfree - try looking at your Settings under "Do Not Disturb" and you may find that Apple has defaulted some of the settings to be active when the phone is locked, etc. to keep you safe?

• 1 month later...

I think there is a distracted driving mode setting on the iPhone that might interfere with Siri Handsfree - try looking at your Settings under "Do Not Disturb" and you may find that Apple has defaulted some of the settings to be active when the phone is locked, etc. to keep you safe?

I've turned off the do not disturb features on my phone and still have had no luck with this. In looking for a solution to this I came across this video talking about downgrading to 4.4. When I bought my C-Max used I had the dealer upgrade my vehicle to latest. Hopefully this works as I find this whole botched integration has really downgraded my phone experience. I used to be able to dictate texts and what not while driving, but since getting the C-Max it's really hamstrings things.

I have SYNC 2 with My Ford Touch (Technology package 203A) built in texting seemed to work with Android, it does not work with iPhone but you can dictate to Siri through CarPlay in order to read and respond to texts..one of the few things you can do while driving. I'll need to go out and check which version of software I am using, will let you know later.

One other thing, I believe when you talk to Siri, even using the Sync system, it still uses the microphone in the phone to hear you. So, if you are too far away from the phone, or there is too much noise in the cabin, then Siri isn't going to be able to hear you. In my case, I use this phone mount system -- the picture shows you where it is mounted in my C-Max -- so my phone can typically hear me when I activate Siri.

One other thing, I believe when you talk to Siri, even using the Sync system, it still uses the microphone in the phone to hear you. So, if you are too far away from the phone, or there is too much noise in the cabin, then Siri isn't going to be able to hear you. In my case, I use this phone mount system -- the picture shows you where it is mounted in my C-Max -- so my phone can typically hear me when I activate Siri.

I'm not really too worried about the mount situation at this point. It's getting it to function period. When you press and hold the voice button, it simply does not activate Siri.

I found a version of Sync 4.4 but wasn't able to install it. I was given an error saying it there wasn't enough space. Now the thing I was wondering is if Sync software is generic to all Ford vehicles, or is the download possibly specific to the C-Max? Is it possible anyone around here might have that 4.4 update kicking around on their computer that they might have diligently backed up from a previous update? As a new C-Max owner I don't have any history of running these updates to have the older files.

I'm sorry I still haven't had an opportunity to check my control panel because I wasn't feeling well last few days.  Think the version I have installed is 3.8 and whatever it was, that was the last release I got an official notice on so newer versions may not work for Sync 2 hardware?   I'm sorry to say that the USB stick I used to upgrade has long been reformatted.  I'll go out and check it at lunch.

Confirmed that it's 3.8 I have running on Sync MFT 2 hardware.  I upgraded in 2015 with a lot of the other people on this board, although in the HELP screen it actually shows "System SW 3.08 and a bunch of other numbers" .. I did a google search using the box at the top of this page for "Sync 3.8" and it looks like someone made a reference to most cars having either 3.8 or 3.10 as high as the version numbering goes for our hardware. So if you have a 2014 CMAX it probably also has Sync 2 hardware, I think Sync 3 came out with the 2017 model year (anyone correct me?)  The software was originally available on owner.ford.com website.  Try the google search for "Sync 3.8" to see more details.  I think the 3.8 upgrade was definitely worth getting, it added feature such as CarPlay, muting NAV voice, etc.  If you can't find a working link a dealer shop would probably do the upgrade for you, if you ask nicely maybe they'll charge only a nominal fee like $35.  I had a shop do that to reprogram the BCM to disable my fleet style -always- on DRL.  One company did have very expensive hardware upgrade kits to convert from Sync 2 to Sync 3, because I think they were essentially buying OEM Sync 3 hardware from Ford and then reprogramming the modules.  You have to run new antennas around the body, etc.

If there are any Ford Reps left on this site it would be great if they could provide a download link to an official known good source for 3.10.  I went to the owner.ford.com site and the Sync Update page says I am up to date as usual even though I only have 3.8.  Most vendors would probably say "if you aren't experiencing issues an upgrade could brick your device" so I get why they probably don't just offer a straight download link.

I did a google search for the filename shown in the wiki article shared by homestead and after trolling around various other Ford forums found one place where someone has shared the 3.10 update file with North American language packs to a cloud sharing service:

https://mega.nz/#!OIg2gTwC!TQPEqHx_0U7I_Kto_LPNvIiIOrMbc-x7IOKnfHx4huw

So now knowing about the 3.10 update I went ahead and installed it.

Unzip the files (594MB) to a FAT32 formatted USB stick - at the root it has the "SyncMyRide" folder and the USB autorun file.

Start the car in READY mode (there's a nice warning about not killing anyone with carbon monoxide poisoning or starting a fire by parking over tall grass, etc.)

Pull out all other USB devices and insert the USB stick with the update on it

I think it will autorun the install, it restarts the APIM and runs a disk check several times

It turned the radio on (but you can turn volume up/down) during the install and of course several cool SYNC and Microsoft logos appear

The second to final message incorrectly states that you've successfully installed 3.8 - when I checked System Information it was indeed 3.10

All bluetooth devices, navigation favorites and several other prefs are reset to defaults (you have to re-pair your phone)

The UI has a more rounded rectangle look to it

I think maybe using the voice command mic is slightly more responsive.

I haven't tried using NAV yet to see if they were able to improve NAV screen redraw speed

It looks like they may have intended Sync 2 to offer in car WIFI but I don't think my C-MAX has the hardware for it

Siri CarPlay where you hold the paddle in for a few more seconds still DOES seem to work okay

I forgot to check the time I started the upgrade but I would estimate about 15 minutes to go from 3.8 to 3.10.

Of course it worked okay on my car but I should say a reminder that the file is from an unofficial source, I have no guarantee if it works on everyone else's vehicle or not and don't want to be responsible for breaking your car, infecting your PC, etc.

Oh, and I got a notice in the mail today that the A9 navigation map card is for sale through official channel for $149 - it still looks like new map data okay with MFT Sync 2.

Edited by jestevens

Yes, I guess it's possible they consider 3.8 to be good enough.  Had a little glitching with pause/playback of Bluetooth audio but that could have just been the audio app on my phone.  I also forgot to reset the hour on my clock apparently, made for a fun drive to work until I was able to ask Siri what time it was at a stop light.