SYNC2 update but no new features, 2014 cmax

So today I updated my SYNC software in my 2014 cmax via USB to version SYNC2 - V3.10. Update got confirmed as successful and it works like before. 

According to the Ford website I should be able to use 'waze' and 'apple car play' now, but it is not showing and I don't see any options on how to enable it. I followed all the instructions on the Ford website. Also my screen doesn't look like on their videos...I don't have this modern look with the icons on the bottom.

Is my car too old?

sync.jpg

If you have Siri set to enable "Allow Siri When Locked" then you can use Apple Carplay by holding the voice button on the steering wheel for a long time .. instead of the usual Sync 2 "bong" noise the car will hook Siri up to the built in speakers and mics and you'll hear Siri's double beep tone.  You can ask Siri to call a particular contact or say "New Message to Jane Smith.." and dictate a message - at least when certain features aren't already being used by the phone and car.

A lot of actions won't work because Siri doesn't want to work while you are driving or you need to have your phone unlocked.

To get the more full featured version of Android Auto and Carplay requires a substantial hardware upgrade to enable Sync 3.  Ford doesn't support it, but there is a third party website the offers Sync 3 upgrade kits for @ $1500..

There were a handful of navigation upgrades, I think you can mute voice guidance by pressing button on nav interface screen now..

In the FWIW department, I'm now driving Sync3, and I haven't really noticed a difference I can ascribe to Sync version. I need to research the background screen options... nope, none found.  Sync 3 wallpaper is not readily changed; we'll need to use ForScan. Need to find my OBDII adapter. 

OK, there's one difference!

Frank

I found this info on an F150 forum:

v3.7
ABOUT THE LATEST UPDATE
The new software update for SYNC® with MyFord Touch systems includes all the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits such as:

Navigation:Map content for Europe and Australia/New Zealand regions
Mute button for SYNC Navigation prompts added to Navigation map screen
Estimated "Time of Arrival," instead of "Time to Destination" now shown on map screen

v3.8
ABOUT THE LATEST UPDATE
The new software update for SYNC® with MyFord Touch® systems includes all the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits such as:

Siri® Eyes Free*:Now iPhone users can use Siri® Eyes Free with SYNC® with MyFord Touch®. With simple voice commands, SYNC® with MyFord Touch® enables you to operate the iPhone and SYNC® together. Siri® Eyes Free can be activated by pressing and holding the voice button for at least 3 seconds.
Secure, simple phone pairing: Phone pairing is now easier.
Automatic reconnection: If your phone disconnects, SYNC® with MyFord Touch® will automatically reconnect it.
Easier entry of destinations for China: Now SYNC® with MyFord Touch® allows for easier entry of destinations.

v3.10
ABOUT THE LATEST UPDATE
The new software update for SYNC® with MyFord Touch® systems includes all the improvements from previous updates, plus additional changes to accommodate new and updated customer devices, such as:

Hazard switch illuminates on Focus / Escape with ignition off and park lamps on 
Next Track / Previous Track controls from SYNC touchscreen
SYNC Maintaining Repeat / Shuffle settings that were set on the device side
Compatibility updates for the latest phone and media devices