2013 C-Max Sel Hybrid - Will replacing the radio fix the dead battery issue?

BZero

Hi, Forums!

My 2013 c-max battery has died three times. One time, I caught the radio not shutting off when I turned the car off. I had to pull the fuse to shut it off. My dealer mentioned to me that if I replace the radio, it might fix the issue.

Has any one had experience with getting their radio replaced? Did it fix your dead battery issue?

Thank you in advance,

BZero

1 hour ago, BZero said:

Hi, Forums!

My 2013 c-max battery has died three times. One time, I caught the radio not shutting off when I turned the car off. I had to pull the fuse to shut it off. My dealer mentioned to me that if I replace the radio, it might fix the issue.

Has any one had experience with getting their radio replaced? Did it fix your dead battery issue?

Thank you in advance,

BZero

Interesting.....I am a new owner of a 2016 and I was worried about my USB charger plugged into the lighter.....but the radio is an interesting one to consider. Actually, any item that decides to stay on. I didn't even know the radio would operate / get powered with the key off....I will keep an eye out for that one! (I think I remember it stays on until I open the door.....interesting if there was a bug in the firmware that kept it on after I got out)

Your radio will stay on after key off if you don’t open door for a period of time based on SOC of the 12V battery and the age of your 12V battery.  If you reset the battery age PID (which is done when battery is replaced) and the SOC IIRC is above 40%, the radio will remain on for exactly 10 minutes.  As the health / age of the battery declines, the time the radio remains on decreases.  For very low SOC, the time on is very low ( around a minute or so) until the radio turns off.

Try it and see how long it takes for your radio to turn off. I believe the dead battery issue associated with radio not operable is virtually always the APIM not the radio as the APIM won’t go to sleep and drains the battery.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dealership finally thinks they fixed this issue. This is what they did:

Ultimately we found a short to ground in the wiring on the passenger side of the vehicle under the scuff plate.  Our theory is that this bad ground was backfeeding electricity into the center speaker and then through the APIM module.  We repaired the ground and have not been able to duplicate the concern since the fix.