In/out air button

Buggs1a

The button to set air in or outside don’t work in the air circulation button. I set it for inside air. It shuts that off and does outside air. I’ll drive 30 miles and this happens 6 times or more sometimes. I only want inside air cus outside stinks bad. May be air filter in car I don’t know. But every time I set it for inside air it goes to outside air by itself constantly. It should never do this. I’m talking while driving. Not turning car on. 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:12 AM, stolenmoment said:

The car really doesn't like to recirculate when you have the defrost on.  But yes, it turns off recirculate on its own.

I only have windshield and feet vents open and set. I’ll set for inside air. Drive. Changes to outside air constantly. 

On 2/28/2020 at 11:39 PM, Buggs1a said:

So the air stays inside when the windshield vents are not on. What gives?

I  think this is standard on many cars, I can think of two reasons.....first, they might use the vent at the windshield as the "input" for the recirculate. But even more important, I think most cars turn on the AC a little to dehumidify the air pointed at the windshield so that if the windshield is cold it does not frost or fog up there.

Causing frost or fog on the windshield would be a safety issue, so they dehumidify the air when it is pushed onto the windshield.