Car plugs my ears

Buggs1a

When driving my ears plug up. I can’t remember this from before the last couple months or so and I had it two years. I’ll drive and going around corners or acceleration affects my ears a bit. I can tell they feel different. When driving my ears will plug a little towards the bottom of my ear and sometimes fully plug and yawning pops them. This never happened in any other car or truck I drove before my 2013 cmax sel. 

I was in a Ford Focus lately and noticed my ears got weird but maybe not as bad as in my own car. I don’t know if it’s my ears or car. I’m going to see a dr about this. But my ears should not plug every time I drive when there’s next to no elevation change. 

The only thing I can think of, short of allergens being stuck in the cabin filter or mold growing under the seat is that this car, like many new cars uses electronic noise cancellation?  The mics and speakers are used to generate white noise that deadens some of the background noise? 

The cabin air filter is sort of a pain to change but it is doable with the right screwdriver bits - it's directly behind the center console stack near the floor of the car - inevitably I'm always replacing it when it's 100F outside and you have to contort your body to reach it.  The side panel of the air box comes off and then you sort of have to squeeze and rotate the filter to get it in place .. sweating like crazy when it's done.

Edited by jestevens

Thank you. 
I wonder does the Ford Fiesta have a similar cabin to the cmax? My moms is 2014 or something. I’m not sure exactly. And my ears felt weird in it too but I don’t think as bad. And how come I just now am noticing this in the last few months? Hmm. 

Would I hear this noise cancellation thing? This sounds cool cus my ears feel bad in my Bose QCII when I tried the noise cancellation. But I never use it. My ears have a similar feeling. My mom in her fiesta doesn’t have any issues with her ears.

Does a 2017 or 2018 Prius have something similar to my cmax? I was in my cousins but can’t remember how my ears felt. 

I’ll try to leave the driver and passenger window open a few inches the next time i drive later today. I have opened the windows Before but not for long and I can’t remember how my ears felt. 

could this be my ears have a problem now? And no matter what car I drive I’ll have this problem? Or is it likely the car even though it may be totally normal for this car? And if I drive another vehicle my ears would be fine?

i might be able to try a 2018 or 2017 Ford Edge top model I think. My sister has bought it brand new when she got it. And I can try a 2004 or 2007 Acura MDX top model. 

Edited by Buggs1a

Thanks all. 
I tried windows down. Not really any difference. But I’m not sure that matters since I’m still in the car and it’s still sealed or whatever elsewhere. 

BUT,,, I went to my Dr today. I have mucus in both ears with the right Having more then left. My ears even don’t feel good at home now. So he prescribed a nasal spray that may help. He said it might take 4 weeks. I’ll pick it up tomorrow. 

I guess this makes some sense and seems like it fits. I don’t remember having this problem before maybe Dec/Jan. I don’t know though. Just guessing. So hopefully once my ears are healed then they won’t hurt anymore. My ears do get much worse in the car though then when I’m not in it. So that sounds like a car thing too. I’m guessing. 

why was mold and a fan or air filter mentioned in the first reply to my post? How does that relate to my ears? It was it related to my other post about the inside or outside air circulation and then having a bad smell?

Thank you. 

The reason I mentioned the cabin air filter was because if an allergen is irritating your sinuses it might eventually impact your nose, ears or throat if it's severe enough...depending on how long you spend in the car or how sensitive you are to whatever it is.  I am not sure how old your car is, if you were the first owner, etc. it was just a thought.

Edited by jestevens

I have the 2013 cmax sel. Can I get rid of the ANC if there really is any?

i was in an Acura 2004 MDX and my ears felt better then in my car. I think so. I don’t get it. 

im scared I have to save for another car because I don’t want to hurt my ears every time I drive. There’s gotta be something that can be done. I hope. 

No offense intended but you need to try to relax about this. You just said in your previous post that:

1. Your doc found a medical problem with your ears and said it may take 4 weeks to get over it

2. Your C-Max never previously caused issues with your ears

So try not to worry or speculate or do anything until you've got your medical issue under control. It's very possible--likely even--that once your ears are healed that you will go back to no longer having problems in your C-Max.

If there were some widespread issue with the C-Max hurting peoples' ears I think you would have seen others mentioning it online.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed an odd pressure in my ears due to the ABC. It doesn't bother me anymore or I don't notice it, but yeah, I've felt that. 

Your medical condition probably made it more noticeable. 

If you disconnect the microphone, you'll have to remember to disconnect Bluetooth when you get a call or try to talk to your phone, because of the disconnected microphones, they won't hear you. 

8 hours ago, 101st monkey said:

I've noticed an odd pressure in my ears due to the ABC. It doesn't bother me anymore or I don't notice it, but yeah, I've felt that. 

Your medical condition probably made it more noticeable. 

If you disconnect the microphone, you'll have to remember to disconnect Bluetooth when you get a call or try to talk to your phone, because of the disconnected microphones, they won't hear you. 

Not true.?  There are 3 ANC microphones, located in the left front , right front and rear in the cabin headliner, which are inputs to the digital audio control module via a connector under the glove box.  There is one SYNC microphone (voice) located in the overhead console which runs through a different connector under the glove box and is an input to the APIM.