C-Max MPG Changed on HybridCars.com

Catmobile

The Energi guys spend as much time here as you do. EV-later mode makes the car behave like the hybrid, except the hybrid is a little more efficient than the Energi.

It is hard to know from this display how much charging is actually taking place in the battery when the ICE is on. The car doesn't seem to stay in EV very long or even to blend EV with ICE, like the Prius seems to do. As I say, I think this more a function of the display. The Prius displays energy movements very well. The C-max doesn't do that as well, but it does a much better job of letting you know the boundaries between EV and ICE, so that you can drive more economically.

For you Energi owners, does EV-Later skip charging the battery while accelerating, or just skip going into EV mode?

EV-Later makes the Energi operate pretty much identically to the Hybrid. There's a 1.1kW battery range that will get used, and the car will charge and draw down the battery within that range. Interestingly, if we're on a long downhill or something, we can keep charging the battery beyond that operating range, probably up to the normal 'full' charge the pack will accomodate. So the car limits the downside to reserve battery power for later, but not upside.

...The car doesn't seem to stay in EV very long or even to blend EV with ICE, like the Prius seems to do. As I say, I think this more a function of the display...

I agree that this is a display issue - I'm sure it's often blending both on acceleration if there's battery available.

I'm looking forward to the new MFT display that may show more about the energy flow.

... the car limits the downside to reserve battery power for later, but not upside.

Thanks - I couldn't find a clear explanation online anywhere.

I don't mind it charging while coasting, since that's not using extra gas.  And I do enjoy using as much EV as possible, but no system is 100% efficient, and I wonder if overall it would save gas to not charge while cruising on the ICE.

I wonder if there will ever be Ford tweaks to the EV behavior or even alternate ROMs.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1st C-Max I didn't see very good milage on, it seemed it continuously reported around 32/35... of course, Ford ended up buying that one back. I've been in my replacement almost a week now, and right off its leveled the overall average at > 37, and I regularly see 42/43 MPG on my 20 mile trip to work. Today I had a short 20 miler and it reported 45 MPG at 55 MHR. Its still breaking in so I expect those numbers to rise, but I wasn't seeing those on my previous one after 1600 miles. This leads to think the electrical issues that were draining my battery and ultimately led to a buyback were also effecting the EV system in some manner.  Or it could be that upon getting the new one I just knew how to drive it properly  ;)

I have a C Max with 2500 miles on it and I bought it December 21, 2012.  I live in southeastern Michigan where it is winter.  Average mileage since new is 33.6 mpg.  Being new kills mileage.  Cold weather hurts mileage.  Trip to work is 18 miles with max speed 55 mph.  Mileage has improved over the last few hundred miles and my commute to work is 38.5 mpg and coming home is 42.3 mpg.  It's uphill (166 feet higher elevation) but I don't think that's the culprit.  Route is the same.  Car sits out over night before going to work for 12 hours so it's cooled down.  Coming home the car sits in the company garage which is enclosed for 9 hours.  So, I think the cold weather has a greater effect on mileage. 

Cold weather (below 20 deg. F) will restrain electric mode more than I would think.  The batteries like to be warmed up before engaging.

• 2 weeks later...
My 1st C-Max I didn't see very good milage on, it seemed it continuously reported around 32/35... of course, Ford ended up buying that one back. I've been in my replacement almost a week now, and right off its leveled the overall average at > 37, and I regularly see 42/43 MPG on my 20 mile trip to work. Today I had a short 20 miler and it reported 45 MPG at 55 MHR. Its still breaking in so I expect those numbers to rise, but I wasn't seeing those on my previous one after 1600 miles. This leads to think the electrical issues that were draining my battery and ultimately led to a buyback were also effecting the EV system in some manner.  Or it could be that upon getting the new one I just knew how to drive it properly  ;)

How did you get Ford to buy yours back?

I just got back from trip to Phoenix and back, 3880mi which gives me the dubious  honor of being the highest mileage CMAX on fuelly with 7700mi. On my trip I averaged 40.8mpg with temps 26-60deg.F. My experience tells me at 70deg.F I have no problem getting 47mpg city but at 40deg.F It's very hard. BTW my CMAX wil stay in EV at 63mph actual, tested with GPS. I did have one tank that I averaged 45.6mpg with temps in 35-45deg.F and a little tail wind. When temps are 70-85deg.F averaging 65mph on fwys around Atlanta I can get 47mpg regularly. I was wondering if anyone has checked their odometer with GPS? Mine is off by 1.5% or about .5mpg to the plus. It is amazing that Hybridcars.com would state something without testing it.

I've got 7573 miles on my C-Max since buying it in September

If you go to HybridCars.com you can see the C-Max is listed there on the right rail with an mpg rating of 35/40.  Apparently they've arbitrarily changed it from the 47/47/47 EPA estimate.  I posted on their forum that I thought this was unfair, as myself and other C-Max owners have reported getting mpg better than this.  I hope the administrators of that website rethink this.  I'm not sure how they came up with these numbers or why they thought it was appropriate to change the EPA estimate, at least until these cars have been on the road long enough to get a good handle on what they're getting.

I'm able to come close to 47 in city driving, even with the rolling hills we have here.  Highway so far has been around 41-42 average although I haven't driven a lot of highway miles yet and obviously my car is far from being broken in.  If Ford and the EPA estimate is high I would say it's on the highway/combined numbers.  But certainly I think listing it as 35/40 is unfair.

Actually these numbers are correct. CMAX shows 35 on normal (70 - 75 mph, few ups and downs) freeway driving and about 40 on normal city driving. Of course, it can get 47 if you drive back-country road in good weather and not big up and down hills, but average is actually between 35 and 40 (my stabilized on 37.2 - 37.5 on approx 6,000 - 7,000 miles in a 3 month). And this (35 - 40) is exactly what average driver will see.

I drive as most drives in CA - 70 - 75 miles on freeways, 60 - 63 on highways, fast ramp acceleration to merge with the traffic on 60 - 65 mph (and not on 30 - 35), and so on - and have 35 - 40 mph on most (maybe 80%) trips. If weather is good and road is slow it can show 42, even 50; but this is usually good luck, or very slow driving.

I disagree. I see consistently higher than 42 and I am in an Energi which is rated lower than the hybrid. And I have significant hills - thousands of feet elevation change daily. I beat 45mpg running at 65mph highway, even with large grades.

This weekend will be my first true mpg stress test though, two 5 hour drives at 70mph over mountains in the cold with 5 passengers and luggage, plus the 300lb Energi battery...

My Life Time average is 43mpg with 82% hwy  and 15K mi.

Actually these numbers are correct. CMAX shows 35 on normal (70 - 75 mph, few ups and downs) freeway driving and about 40 on normal city driving. Of course, it can get 47 if you drive back-country road in good weather and not big up and down hills, but average is actually between 35 and 40 (my stabilized on 37.2 - 37.5 on approx 6,000 - 7,000 miles in a 3 month). And this (35 - 40) is exactly what average driver will see.

I drive as most drives in CA - 70 - 75 miles on freeways, 60 - 63 on highways, fast ramp acceleration to merge with the traffic on 60 - 65 mph (and not on 30 - 35), and so on - and have 35 - 40 mph on most (maybe 80%) trips. If weather is good and road is slow it can show 42, even 50; but this is usually good luck, or very slow driving.

It sounds like your CMAX  doesn't get as good as MPG's as most of us. I have tested mine at 70deg.F and it will get 40mpg at 70mph and 42mpg with Grill Covers on. I get low 50's city all the the time with 60+deg.F temps.  Fuelly average is 37.8mpg and then add in .5mpg for the odometer 1.5% =38.3mpg. By this summer I expect the average to go up to 40+mpg with warmer temps.

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a returning Ford buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates?  Based on the advertised EPA estimates, I would have been ok with low 40's but 28-33 mpg is not even in the ballpark.  This is not an issue about EPA testing standards, but rather an issue about setting false customer expectations in order to promote sales.  Ford's "47MPG" marketing campaign tarnished what should have been the roll out of a truly remarkable vehicle, the CMAX.  Real world MPG estimates should have been promoted in the mid-30's.  No one would have questioned those numbers and the CMAX would have received the accolades it deserves.  How these MPG estimates made it through Ford corporate is beyond me!  Maybe it was the rush to go to market?

I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. For the record, during the last three years I have leased both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler.  My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus. The C-MAX is a well-built car, with extremely inflated EPA estimates.  

I respectfully request that this matter be investigated as soon as possible.  My efforts to deal with this locally and through Ford customer service have frustrated me to no end. The constant response?  "You need to learn to how to drive hybrid type of vehicle ".  Is there a difference how I drive Prius Hybrid vs. the CMAX hybrid?   I think we all know the answer to that.  I need someone at Ford to reach out to me and assist in a proactive manner so we can put this matter to rest.  I have opted not to join the class action lawsuit regarding this matter in order to explore my resolution options with Ford directly feeling this was the most honest approach to the matter.  Can I expect the same from Ford in return?

Respectfully submitted, 

Ronald Kramer  
Yankee Ford Customer
South Portland, Maine

PO Box 2517
South Portland, ME 04116

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a returning Ford buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates?  Based on the advertised EPA estimates, I would have been ok with low 40's but 28-33 mpg is not even in the ballpark.  This is not an issue about EPA testing standards, but rather an issue about setting false customer expectations in order to promote sales.  Ford's "47MPG" marketing campaign tarnished what should have been the roll out of a truly remarkable vehicle, the CMAX.  Real world MPG estimates should have been promoted in the mid-30's.  No one would have questioned those numbers and the CMAX would have received the accolades it deserves.  How these MPG estimates made it through Ford corporate is beyond me!  Maybe it was the rush to go to market?

I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. For the record, during the last three years I have leased both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler.  My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus. The C-MAX is a well-built car, with extremely inflated EPA estimates.  

I respectfully request that this matter be investigated as soon as possible.  My efforts to deal with this locally and through Ford customer service have frustrated me to no end. The constant response?  "You need to learn to how to drive hybrid type of vehicle ".  Is there a difference how I drive Prius Hybrid vs. the CMAX hybrid?   I think we all know the answer to that.  I need someone at Ford to reach out to me and assist in a proactive manner so we can put this matter to rest.  I have opted not to join the class action lawsuit regarding this matter in order to explore my resolution options with Ford directly feeling this was the most honest approach to the matter.  Can I expect the same from Ford in return?

Respectfully submitted, 

Ronald Kramer  

Yankee Ford Customer

South Portland, Maine

PO Box 2517
South Portland, ME 04116

Mr Ronald Kramer, you've had 4 postings here with your complaints and frankly, as a happy poster here, can't see how we can help you when you do NOT participate in any discussions or add details to your issues. Frankly, imo, your posts are nothing more than spam ranting.

If you are for real, please take it back to your Ford service department and have them do a diagnostics on it. As a long time poster here, I don't see any real, owner drivers here having that bad of a MPG even on the coldest of days. 

I think you would far more happier and productive if you actually took the time you spent here to your Ford service to work with them to address your issues. Otherwise, sell the car, not every car is a good fit and the 2013 Prius is probably more to your liking. 

Good luck with it and please cut your continuous cross posting blah blah blah. 

And YES my Mxine is a 47/47/47 MPG car and I have the evidence to back up my words. 

Cheers

:) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It seems that Ronald Kramer of Portland, ME has only one set posting that he uses here (often), on the C-max Facebook page and at least one auto blog: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/01/carscom-reviews-the-2013-ford-c-max-hybrid.html

He doesn't seem interested in finding a solution, but bashing.  Hmmmm, not sure I like that he shares my name.

Ron - Yeah, had to call him on it, can't let trash like that being thrown around like its gospel when some low-info reader will come and say "oh thats why CMax sucks". If it was some other site, I could care less but we've all worked hard to figure out this car here and don't need to deal with this person who obviously has no interest to resolving HIS own issues. I am sure if he came here with less negativity, we would have all chimed in to help figure out why his low MPG like we have for many others.

Man, the cars.com review is like a huge negativity magnet....pooooooh...better stay away lest I catch something there. 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Respectfully submitted, 

Ronald Kramer  

Yankee Ford Customer

South Portland, Maine

PO Box 2517
South Portland, ME 04116

Maybe it's what's between his ears :baby: and not between his feet and head?

My new personal LOW mpg.

BUT

I'm in the last phase of breaking in the motor (ICE).

FULL THROTLE

Edited by wab

Respectfully submitted, 

Ronald Kramer  

Yankee Ford Customer

South Portland, Maine

PO Box 2517
South Portland, ME 04116

You haven't said anything about the type of driving you do. City, Hwy, snow ,rain, car garaged, short trips 2-5mi and temp range. I would love to sell you some Grill Covers, check out my gallery. BTW to get the best CMAX MPG's you don't drive it like a Prius.

Have I got MPG readings in the 20s?  Yes.  Have I got mpg readings in the 50s and 60s?  Yes.  I drove 800 miles and got 37 mpg (70 mph interstate).  When the temps are in the 50s, I get 40s and 50s mpg in local trips.  When its in the 30 degress, I get a wider range (25 to 40s) depending on if I turn on climate control or not.  Does it take a different driving technique than my Taurus? Absolutely.  I agree that Mr. Kramer needs to provide more facts.  The fact that he lives in Maine suggests that he is driving in very cold climates.

If Ford's citation of 47 mpg is false, then all of us should be getting lousy mileage.  But we're not.  And finally, if mileage is the only reason he bought a C-Max, then he probably bought the wrong car.  I bought it because of its versatility, comfort, handling, options, etc.

Edited by joe