First time hybrid owner

snwbrdngtr

Hello everyone!

I made a HUGE leap in vehicles... switching from a broken down '04 supercharged Xterra to a '13 C-Max. I picked it up from a friend for a song. I'm excited to learn how to best drive this and maximize my fuel economy!!!

There are a few minor hiccups that would be expected at 143k and I'm hoping I will find all the answers I need in this forum. A few that I want to address ASAP

- the driver's seatbelt doesn't retract well. The previous owner didn't report any issues with it so maybe I just need to learn its 'handshake'? I assume I need to pull the trim from the pillar to access the seatbelt mechanism?

- the pano-roof cover (moon roof?) won't park properly. It will open and close fully if I keep the switch engaged until it reaches the end, but if I do the auto open/auto close it will close/open fully and then 'bounce' back a few inches

-when I start the car I get a message that the tire system needs to be serviced? What kind of service do I need to have done?

I have always done all the work on all of my cars (timing belts, clutches, drivetrain, etc) and I can't wait to learn everything I can about this vehicle!

PS - I'm from Denver, any other owners in the Mile High?

Also, I like to keep a basic tool kit in the car at all times. Does anyone have a list of commonly used socket sizes, wrenches, drivers that they use when performing maintenance? Ideally anything that will fit in a smaller ammo box?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

C-Max doesn't break down! ? I have no idea what you would need sockets for that can't wait until one gets home.  I carry jumper cables (some carry a jump start), flashlight, needle nose pliers (to pull fuse 79 / put back in for Sync2 lockup and to remove screws / nails in tire), and a quality string tire puncture repair kit (some carry a spare tire, jack and lug nut wrench).

IMO, one should buy the FORScan App for a smartphone and an ELM327 OBDII adapter to monitor vehicle data while driving, for example tire pressure, state of charge of the 12 V battery.  Search FORScan under my name for pics of all the data available to monitor and self tests of control modules that can be done.  https://forscan.org/

Since you do work on your car, go to ebay, buy a downloadable (or DVD) workshop manual  for the C-Max.  

Look in the service manual (download online) for how to reset tire system kit that should be under a cover on the passenger seat rear floor.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 is right , these don't need a lot of work.   The only tools I have needed were for changing engine air filter and the oil pan bolt (15mm). Also you will need a

torx bit to remove the large fiber shield to change the oil.  All of those are done at home.  The only tool I carry with the car is an ice scraper. : )

9 hours ago, snwbrdngtr said:

- the pano-roof cover (moon roof?) won't park properly. It will open and close fully if I keep the switch engaged until it reaches the end, but if I do the auto open/auto close it will close/open fully and then 'bounce' back a few inches

There's a procedure for "re-training" the auto functions - read this thread.  I've had to do some windows but not the roof so don't know if procedure is the same.

Welcome, as well. Former '13 owner here, but we'll get to that. Is it a Hybrid or an Energi (plug-in)?

+1 to needing a spare tire more than any tools. I holed a sidewall; only a spare tire can fix that! That said, I never carried a spare even though I had snow tires. 

My only add to your list? The tire service warning sounds like what I'd expect if TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) sensors were failed or not present. This is an add from the Xterra, and in its simplest form: no pressure readings, just a warning. Ask your friend about them; he may plead ignorance as they're $20/wheel if they fail, and the car works fine without (I investigated for snows on steel wheels). I'd check on the next tire change, at least. 

Did the car come with service records? This is a bit of a loaded question, as the answer may not matter at your mileage. Early C-Max had a transmission issue you'll find well documented here. High failure rate, typically at 100K miles. No issues with repaired transmissions. At 143K on this car, it's either past the problem, or it never had it. 

If you are interested in internal workings, and why you won't service it, check out the Weber State videos. This is his Ford list, scroll down a bit for hybrid videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn3FrDiB1lwAhpYXTHmgEJLHwEDPYv2d

And don't worry about not wrenching... my front suspension links failed, and my friction brakes weren't happy: the fronts dissolved and the rears kept wearing out. But then, I see an awfully lot more snow than you will, and road salt is not easy on unused brake rotors. 99% regen had a downside. 

But you won't need to carry tools, you'll see these coming!

Stay well,

Frank

If you bought the car from a FORD dealership I would ask them about fixing the belt and the pano roof cover ASAP - most dealers will do a little good will work to make sure customer is happy with the sale?

I have a pano roof and love it -MOST of the time I keep it open anyway unless I'm not planning to drive it for a week or more.  I -hope- it's something that you can set the limits on by holding the switches and not a mechanical failure.

In 80K mi headlight/turn signal bulbs, cabin air filter, the 12V battery (once every 7 years or so) are the only things I've replaced.  The service shop changed oil and put new engine air filter in.

Like most newer cars this one comes with a tire inflator with a can of slime under the passenger seat rather than a spare.  The slime expires - you might want to check the date stamped on your can that's attached to the inflator.  Rockauto had a decent price on a replacement can.  There's supposed to be a tire mobility kit warning that comes up on the dash when it's about to expire.  So you might want to consider a tire plug kit with some cement, etc.  Once in 7 years I got a flat from big steel bolt, thankfully it was just within the edge of the tread and not on the sidewall.  I was able to plug the tire long enough to take it to a Ford dealer where they got me two new Michelin low rolling resistance tires the next day. 

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Other than the seatbelt issue I think everything else is something I can live with. I will look into a PDF service manual (I sure seem to have a knack for buying cars not covered by Haynes or Chilton lol). Glad to hear that this is a 'turn key, plant right foot' kind of vehicle!

44 minutes ago, snwbrdngtr said:

... Glad to hear that this is a 'turn key, plant right foot' kind of vehicle!

Yes, and with more than the normal inverse relationship between how far you plant it, and fuel economy. 

Find @ptjones Youtube videos to see what all can be done in the name of higher mileage. At a minimum, tire pressures and a grill block are hard to argue with. But here's the thing: this car can be so efficient that you can see real benefit from little things. Tire pressure. Aerodynamic mods like Grill Blocks. No-ethanol Premium Fuel, and of course, driving style. Once you learn "The Hybrid Game," you'll be getting 50's and 60's on a regular basis. I'm driving the new Escape, and the Game is almost easier than C-Max. 

Stay well,

Frank

The car is not a sportcar but the torque is very nice.

Hybrids are primarily set up to coast - so smoothly accelerate up to speed, then back off the accelerator a little bit but keep a steady pressure on the throttle .. on flat land you will see the car switch over to EV mode and coast round like a big electric golf cart for "in town" driving  ..  With low rolling resistance tires it is possible to get 40MPG without working very hard. 

The battery capacity isn't very big so you may not be able to go along on EV alone for too long, but I suppose the idea is to even out the RPM on the gas engine and provide a bit of power boost - so it's more like a V6 even though it has a fuel efficient 4 cylinder engine.

Hybrid brakes are also typically more sensitive because there are two different braking systems - regenerative braking which shunts friction energy from brakes back into battery and traditional hydraulic brakes to provide more stopping power when necessary.  So you can also coast on the brakes to provide an energy boost back into the battery and it won't wear down the brake pads that much because light braking is handled by regenerative system.  So Hybrids are great for stop and go traffic.

If you choose to use any of these techniques be mindful of traffic around you .. I do practice some of them, but never to the extent where I hypermile and hold up traffic.

Edited by jestevens

If you do that about 11 times in a row the car will use its GPS and EV+ to figure out where you spend most of your time parked.   EV+ will give slightly more range if it looks like you're heading to a destination where it's going to have to run the engine for a while to warm up the catalytic converter (and charge the battery) next time you start.

Edited by jestevens