Another door latch recall.

impaladb

DOOR LATCH REPEAT REPAIR

NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING# NHTSA Date:JUN 08, 2020 Ford Recall number: 20S30

Recall Description:DOOR LATCH REPEAT REPAIR

Risk to Safety:A DOOR LATCH WITH A FRACTURED PAWL SPRING TAB TYPICALLY RESULTS IN A DOOR WILL NOT CLOSE CONDITION. IF THE CUSTOMER IS ABLE TO LATCH THE DOOR AFTER REPEATED ATTEMPTS TO SHUT THE DOOR, THERE IS A POTENTIAL THE DOOR MAY UNLATCH WHILE DRIVING, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND BE GIVEN THE OPTION TO INSPECT THE DATE CODES ON THEIR DOOR LATCHES AND CONFIRM THAT THE CHILD SAFETY LOCKS ARE PRESENT IN THE REAR DOORS, THEN SUBMIT THE LATCH DATE CODES VIA A CUSTOMER FACING WEB SITE. THIS WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT VALIDATION THAT THEIR DOOR LATCHES ARE OK, OR THAT THEIR LATCHES COULD BE VALIDATED (POTENTIALLY REQUIRING DEALER SERVICE). IF A CUSTOMER DOES NOT WISH TO INSPECT THEIR VEHICLE, HAS DIFFICULTY COMPLETING THE INSPECTION, OR RECEIVES AN INDICATION THAT THEIR LATCHES COULD NOT BE VALIDATED, DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LATCH DATE CODES AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2019.

• 1 month later...

So, I get a letter dated August 2020 saying my latches might still be bad but, due to COVID-19 considerations, I can check it myself - don't need to go to the dealer.  (Hmm, might be the only good coming out of this virus mess.)  Anyway, I copy down all the numbers and try to go to www.fordlatchrecall.com but the site just returns an error:

Ooops! Sorry please check the URL you are trying to access, or try reloading the page again.

Thank you for visiting

Thu Aug 06 2020 16:08:16 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Anybody able to get in and check their codes?

This door latch thing is leaving me a bit unhinged!

Edited by SnowStorm

I could only read one of the four latch numbers, really poor quality manufacturing. Still haven't had the charging cord replaced, the closest dealer (about 1.3 hours each way) wouldn't do it and the dealer I bought the car from will do it but haven't felt like driving 3 hours each way unless there is something else I need to do in that city.

17 minutes ago, jdbob said:

I could only read one of the four latch numbers, really poor quality manufacturing. Still haven't had the charging cord replaced, the closest dealer (about 1.3 hours each way) wouldn't do it and the dealer I bought the car from will do it but haven't felt like driving 3 hours each way unless there is something else I need to do in that city.

Try shining a flashlight at the parts at varied angles, doing this I was able to read all the numbers but it was difficult.