What car could replace your Cmax?

homestead

The forthcoming RAV4 Prime sounds interesting.  Too interesting, apparently- dealers are quoting $4k to $10k markups over MSRP.  And all in the initial allotment are going to ZEV states.

https://www.torquenews.com/6626/searching-2021-toyota-rav4-prime-you-will-not-believe-these-stories

The safety features deployed over the last half-dozen years are a big reason for replacing my 2013 C-max.  I would like another small wagon like the C-max or RAV4 or Escape.  AWD would be a big plus, which counts against the FWD only Escape plug-in hybrid. 

I am driving less and MPG is not as important (to me) as it once was, though I appreciate the 40+ mpg the Cmax has given over its lifetime including mpg bashing winters.   So I am shopping, but not intensively, with the 2021 RAV4 Prime being the benchmark for me.  Given the RAV4 Prime is not an option, to save money I am mainly looking at used RAV4 hybrids, which are plentiful enough.  But I'll keep looking for other ideas, including Tesla Y.

Just saw this... C&D used an Escape SE with the 3-cyl. No hybrids tested. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a32161895/2020-compact-crossover-comparison/

"(Escape) Verdict: Feels as if it were built to a price, rather than to impress."

What did they expect?

I considered RAV4 and CR-V, but did not drive them. RAV4 styling left me cold, the price, a bit shocked. The CR-V sounded like a different set-up, but it turns out to be the same power-split device, biased to mostly EV drive at low speed and direct ICE drive at high speed if I understand correctly. 

I liked the C-Max operability, I like the Escape, too. As Paul notes, it's an easy transition. 

Stay well,

Frank

PS: 2019 RAV4 Hybrid comparison... SE Sport vs. Top-of the-Line Toyota again.  

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29878756/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-vs-2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid/

Edited by fbov
more data

Drove a 2019 RAV4 rental (not a hybrid) for several hours and did not find it a desirable vehicle - lots of hard plastic inside,  so-so seats, noisy inside, hard riding.  I was surprised quite honestly by how poorly it compared to our 2016 C-Max in those respects.   

Rav4 hybrid is the only one I'd consider at this point (until/unless Honda CRV hybrid improves).  My real preference is to see the Ford Transit Connect hybridized; that could be ideal (although I'd still be leery given Ford's very poor build quality with our 2 cmaxes). 

Greg

Rav4 is a bit of a conundrum for me.  I appreciate all the options but I absolutely hate Toyota styling with all the sharp lines.  Mirai, Prius, and Rav4 just turn me off.

I want to like the FEH/FEHP but as has been mentioned the insides look cheap.

So as a result I am keeping my eye on the BEV vehicles.  A lot of things are coming out over the next couple of years.  I am hoping battery prices come down.  My CMAX is doing fine so I can wait for now.

Edited by zalusky

20 hours ago, zalusky said:

So as a result I am keeping my eye on the BEV vehicles.  A lot of things are coming out over the next couple of years.  I am hoping battery prices come down.  My CMAX is doing fine so I can wait for now.

Feel exactly the same.  I would love a BEV that can go 250+ miles in spite of rain or cold.  Don't want to end up on a rollback like we saw recently.  We were driving along and saw this truck in front with a car on it with the Tesla emblem!  I knew we were approaching a gas station that had Tesla superchargers and sure enough, they turned in to that station.  A bit later there they were, the rollback was down and the car plugged in!  I wanted to take a picture but thought the owners might not appreciate it!

we have had about 6 escapes in a row now.  We recently had a 2011 and a 2017 at the same time.  The different between 2011 to 2017 was like an old pickup to a nice car.

now the 2020 escape is that much nicer then the 2017 escape.  Its definitely the quietest escape we have ever owned.

the 2017 escape titanium with 2.0 was traded on the 2020 escape hybrid.

1 week later the 2011 escape limited was traded on a 2018 Cmax SE

Edited by Towpro

• 2 weeks later...

It replaced the 2012 Fusion, not the 2013 C-Max but I added a 2020 Honda CRV Touring to the garage.  I went with the FWD 1.5T.  Very nice car.  I am sure the hybrids are nice too.  The only complaints I am hearing are about the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alert System) and the Idle-Stop System.  They work as advertised but the new owners don't like them.  The C-Max only has about 58k on it but it still has the original tires, battery and transmission.  Yes, I am knocking on wood.