Guess the repair bill amount....

Marc Smith

I think we should be guessing how much insurance company’s initial offer will be to buy your car.  As fbov says, IMO, it’s totaled.  You need to look at your state law as to what constitutes an “unrepairable vehicle” and if there are any rules defining an unrepairable vehicle.  You might want to buy it from insurance company at salvage value, get a shop to fix it,  and what has to be done to get it titled again.

Insurance company will offer their estimate of actual cash value.  You need to be prepared to counter and support with data. Based on a quick review of 2013 / 14 C-Maxes in Phoenix area adjusting for miles and sale price discounted about 10% ($7500 seems to be about average retail), my guess is their offer will be around $5000 (assuming your car is in average condition).  Also, trade in value is around $4400.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry it took so long to get back to everyone.  on friday they finally gave me a price of 8061 (after taxes), if they retain the vehicle.  not a hateful offer.  they had some pretty good comp sales in my area to compare against. 

initial repair cost were over 3k, but then started removing parts and looking for more damage and they found it.

Given the whole pandemic thing,  dealing with the DMV is not something I want to do.  Earliest appointment for titling/registration is more than 60 days out.

I am hoping to get a few more bucks out of them.  If I make a private party sale,  it will take me a couple months until I get it legally titled and tagged which means a rental car.  if I end up at dealer,  it means paying the dealer markup plus all the fees.

so Now I'm in the market.  I liked the cmax,  I could likely get into  another one, newer with some cash out of pocket..  Maybe even considering a true plug in... since most of my driving is to from work under 20 miles each way and we have plugs at work.  I do make a few longer trips  60 one way from time to time.

plus 3     ive been working all my linguistic magic,  so far no dice.  My adjuster is just dealing property losses.  No injury claim, so there really isn't much else to go after.

they will pay out sale tax, tag, titles etc.  but  since the earliest dmv appointment is 2 months away,  legally I'm in a no mans land as to whether or not I could swap tags make the appointment and ride...  dealer fees...if I go to a dealer, then the dealer takes care of a ll that and they usually charge a crap ton more...  having to take time off work to make the purchase.  all that going to add up to real money...

I just cant make up my mind on whether or not I want to  stick with the Cmax  if I get into a newer cmax,  it will be familiar, but even if I get into a 2018 its still the same tired interior from 2013.    i like the utility of the suv/crossover aspect of the cmax,  but wife has a forester  so don't really need it.  I could get by with a smart for 2.   then wading through all of the local ads, and then toss in carvana, zoom and all the online dealers mudding up the water,  so if you see something you like  you may not be able to look at it until you buy and it gets delivered or its on the otherside of the country.

heck you used to able browse craigslist and find some decent deals,  but now the dealers have taken over that....

i know  first world problem, and I'm just venting.

now the proud owner of a 2015 cmax energi...

out the door taxes, tags, titles, ect  11400

same color too.  now just  need ot learn how best to squeeze mileage out of the enrgi.  drive to work is only 18miles.  so I should be seeing some pretty good fuel numbers....

Edited by Marc Smith

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 5:52 AM, Marc Smith said:

I just cant make up my mind on whether or not I want to  stick with the Cmax  if I get into a newer cmax,  it will be familiar, but even if I get into a 2018 its still the same tired interior from 2013.   

I beg to differ. I have  two C-Maxen in my driveway, a 2014 Hybrid SEL and a 2017 Energi Titanium. On the old Energi site I posted a list of the useful and pleasant interior improvements. That's lost to the ages now, but I'll repeat: 

- sharper dash screen with more contrast

- a handy button to shut off the screen when it's distracting (for me, that's all the time). 

- left dash vent has adjustable louvers to prevent cold air blowing on your hand, as it does in the 2014

- fully adjustable power passenger seat

I'll take the "tired" look of the C-Max to the cheap interior materials of the new Escape, with its tacked-on billboard screen on the dash. The C-MAX's screen, integrated into the dash, provides a sunshade above the screen, and a shelf for stabilizing my hand when I'm touching it. I don't want to be aiming my shaky arm towards a little box on the screen while I may be bouncing down a rough road. I know, every carmaker is dropping physical controls to squeeze in the biggest screen possible, but thats not ergonomic.

We'll probably trade the 2104 for a hybrid crossover someday, but I've seen nothing that persuades me away from my 2017.

• 2 weeks later...