Can’t play music from android and iphone

I have the 2013 cmax sel. 
I used to be able to play music from my iPhone. It would work with Spotify and Apple Music. Music downloaded. Now it won’t play Spotify. Nothing has changed. It just says can’t read. Might be corrupt etc. I have gotten that message many times before today and it would eventually work. I’d unplug the phone and plug in etc. sometimes it would play but not show the song name etc. it’d say not readable but still play. Now it won’t do anything. 

Apple Music is fine tho. 

Edited by Buggs1a
Update

It sounds like you are plugging the phone in directly via USB.  Did you also try streaming audio over bluetooth?  You can either select it on the touchscreen or tell MFT "Bluetooth Audio, Play"

Try deleting your phone and re-pairing bluetooth?

The spotify client software may have changed the way they play audio?  I was going to use Spotify a few years ago but found that their client did not work well with bluetooth on my iPhone SE.  The audio was buffered weird.  That was many years ago now so maybe it works differently/better.

Edited by jestevens

I still have my iPhone SE, I'll try to test via USB.  It's up to each software vendor to implement the audio playback features as they see fit.  Sometimes they make changes to their software that breaks stuff.  You could try to send a message to their customer support but not sure if they are still interested in supporting SYNC 2 or not.

Is your phone already paired to the car?  (e.g. can you make and receive calls via the mic and speakers built into the car?)  If so bluetooth audio is already another option open to you that routes the audio output that would normally go to the phone's speakers to your car's audio system instead.

Bluetooth is basically a low power digital wireless connection between different devices, so in this case between your car and the phone.  In the case of a smartphone telephony, audio and digital serial (raw data) connections are usually supported.  In SYNC 2 only the phone and audio profiles are probably implemented well (there is an option in the later versions of Sync 2 to pair your phone so the car can access internet via phone but I don't think any of the SYNC 2 apps use it.)

Start an app (Spotify) playing audio on your phone while it's NOT connected to USB -then- under entertainment you probably already see audio sources for Radio, CD, USB .. if you tap the down arrow to go to the next page there should be one for bluetooth there?  Tap it and if the phone and car negotiate correctly the audio should start playing through the speakers in the car.

I think with an SEL you should probably have the touchscreen version of Sync with the Sony radio but if you only have the 4" text interface the easiest way is to press the voice button on the steering wheel and just say "Bluetooth Audio > Play"

The biggest thing you would be missing by NOT using USB is that while it is plugged in your phone would also be charging but you can still play via bluetooth and charge at the same time.

Edited by jestevens

1 hour ago, Buggs1a said:

Don’t work. Phone connected via Bluetooth. Spotify says it’s playing to Bluetooth Sync. Car radio has no sound

1 hour ago, Buggs1a said:

Can’t reach fuse. Can’t take box out. No room. I saw the box but can’t remove it and can’t see 79 unless I remove it. Can’t. 

You say "car radio has no sound." So, now are you saying your radio will not play a sound on AM or FM also??? or just that no sound is coming from the speakers?

There are two fuses to pull / test / reinsert Fuse F79 and Fuse F22.  F79 is located on a panel under the glove box.  You do not need to remove glove box.  There is a flexible trim panel under glove box which is held in place by two push on retainers. Pull them off and remove panel.  You will see the fuse panel.  Look for F79 and pull it out for 30 seconds and reinsert.   F22 is located in the rear junction box behind a plastic panel on the lower, left side wall of the luggage compartment behind the left rear wheel well.  You can download the owner's manual to see location of fuses on panels.  You should also check both fuses for continuity with an ohmmeter.  F22 powers the Digital Audio Control Module / speakers.

Can you try turning the volume up on your phone while spotify is playing?  I still need to try to test the latest version of their App with my phone -- I'll try to do it this afternoon after work.  Like I said I had a problem when I tried it a few years back -- it would speed up playback and eventually disconnect.

It's kind of weird that it says "Ford C-MAX Interior.." as the name of the audio source.  When the bluetooth audio works correctly and it's playing something off the phone  it should show the name of the song and artist.

So to review:

1) Be sure USB is unplugged completely

2) Start Spotify and verify you can hear it playing through the speakers on your phone

3) Choose the bluetooth option shown in red in your first photo again

4) Hopefully you should see the name of the song and maybe have to adjust the volume on the phone or car stereo

Sorry it's not working -- if you can try another audio clip on your phone like a Youtube video that might help troubleshoot if spotify is the problem or not.

Yesterday I tested Sync 3.10 with Spotify running on my 1st Gen iPhone SE with iOS 14.4 and if I started Spotify playing first then picked bluetooth as an audio source from the touchscreen it seemed to play okay, show the name of the song, etc.   Of course if I quit spotify in the middle of playing the car wasn't happy and caused some issues.  The reason I'm quoting all of the version numbers is that programming changes between different software versions and it very well can break playback, etc.

Stupid idea but if you can't get it to play maybe the dealer can help?  They usually do the new car turnover with new customers -- maybe they can spot something with your phone/car setup that I can't see.

Edited by jestevens

Hi guys. Thanks so much. 

I can’t access the fuses. There’s no room. Wires in the way. I see the box under the glove compartment tho. Just can’t access it. 

Music works. I paired my phone like I said. Nothing worked. But I had to I guess re download all Spotify music. I don’t know why since I never deleted any. Seems ok now. 

But I still have no room with the fuse box. Grr. 

Is there a legit way to get Sync 3?

Sync 3 needs different hardware.  Look on EBay for Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade (around $600).  Jestevens’s post on sync 3.10 refers to Sync 2 version 3.10.  See table below for all Sync 2 versions.  Look on the MFT screen for the sync generation you have (see pic below).  You should see numbers that will match a number in the generation column of the table below.  You likely can still find version 3.06, 3.08, and 3.10 on line, download to a usb stick, and install yourself.

You can move any wires out of the way and then use a fuse puller or needle nose pliers and pull fuses out. 
image.jpeg.92ed9ab6b7a3cf1441275441624f0d18.jpeg

CCPU In-vehicle Image Part No. Suffix SyncMyRide.com Version Generation Comment
10212 -AJ 1.8    
10308 -BD 2.3 SYNCGen2_4.22.10308_PRODUCT  
10337 -BE 2.4 SYNCGen2_4.22.10337_PRODUCT  
11038 -BH 2.7 SYNCGen2_4.23.11038_PRODUCT  
11063 -BJ 2.8 SYNCGen2_4.23.11063_PRODUCT  
11081 -BL 2.10 SYNCGen2_4.23.11081_PRODUCT Focus only
11134 -BM 2.11 SYNCGen2_4.23.11134_PRODUCT Released 26 Oct 2011
12023 unknown 3.0.2 SYNCGen2 Released 05 Mar 2012
unknown unknown 3.1.3 SYNCGen2 Released September 2012 (BEV vehicles only)
12156 unknown 3.2.2 SYNCGen2 Released September 2012 (Limited release)
12285 unknown 3.5.1 SYNCGen2_4.29.12285_PRODUCT Released December 2012 + GPS Update (A4) new SD card required. (Compatible up to A11, B11 & F8 SD cards).
13171 unknown 3.6.2 SYNCGen2_4.30.13171_PRODUCT Released August 2013 (Compatible up to A11, B11 & F8 SD cards)
14122 unknown 3.7.11 SYNCGen2_4.32.14122_PRODUCT Released September 2014 (Compatible up to A11, B11, F8 & K6 SD cards)
15128 unknown 3.8 SYNCGen2_3.08.15128.EA.10_PRODUCT Released October 2, 2015 (Compatible up to A11, B11, F8 & K6 SD cards) Rev 4 (Patched) latest Nav Version (5.67.6) Released September 2015
16180 unknown 3.10 SYNCGen2_3.10.16180.EA.0_PRODUCT Released November 2016 (Compatible up to A11, B11, F8 & K6 SD cards)

MyFord Touch availability

Edited by plus 3 golfer

Hi. There’s no way to move wires. It’s a big one that’s tight. I’ll show a picture sometime. But I agree I should test them. Thanks for the suggestion. 

There’s one site. I forget the name. They were selling Sync 3 for $600 with no map. $1200 or so with map. Then they raised the price to about $1200 no map and $2400 for map. Map means built in Nav. I forget exact cost but roughy 3 times higher. They look like a bunch of kids. Not official. So no way of knowing if it’s legit. 

I would upgrade to Sync 3 with Navigation but don’t know if it’s legit and the cost is insane. I don’t understand how someone can legally sell these. 

Spotify does play. But not always with track info. Said unknown once. On an Abbott and Costello track. But it does seem to work so far. 

I’ll try to share a picture of under my glove box soon. I was diagnosed with Shingles last Thursday so my sleep is all messed up and for some stuff it’s hard to think clearly. I’m on Gabapentin to help with nerve pain. 

Edited by Buggs1a