My Ford Touch Poll

My Ford Touch Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of MFT do you have?

• 3.1.3 (no special hybrid screens or outside temp on big touchscreen)
    • 3.5.1 (has special hybrid screens and outside temp on big touchscreen)
    • 3.6.2 (as soon as you pull the voice paddle available commands are shown)
  2. 2. How would you rate the stability of MFT?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  3. 3. How would you rate MFT overall (without stability as a factor)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

For those of you that know me you should know I like polls :)

So here is one on MFT.

Please note that for the 3rd question, I'm trying to gauge how much people like the system assuming it was always stable.

Stable meaning never crashed, never had a problem with phone book download, never had a problem with indexing music, never had a problem with GPS/Navigation etc. (That's all for the 2nd question.)  How well do you like the amount and types of features available, how easy it is to use, how do you like the design, etc.?

Remember MFT includes

• Center Touch Screen
  • Voice capabilities (normal sync)
  • The right display on the instrument cluster.

(Note I used to be able to add more questions to polls, but for some reason I can only add 3.  I'm not a mod so I can't fix this :(  but I'd like to add more questions.

Updated for 3.6.2.

Edited by zhackwyatt

Consumer reports says:

"The controls are overly complicated, cumbersome to use, and potentially distracting"

I don't agree with that personally, especially when you take into account voice and steering wheel controls which they never seem to do.

Looks like the poll results are leaning away from CR.

If Ford could just fix the stability issues, I think they have a really good system on their hands.

• 4 months later...

I for one would like to have the option of ordering a C-MAX with no (SYNC) and no (MFT)!  Some of us don`t need "voice activated" software while driving nor bluetooth connectivity.  Rather then building a better "mouse trap" how about just getting rid of the rodents to begin with?  In order to get the Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, you have to get SYNC & MFT?  Odd, a 14K Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio comes  with Sirius/XM Radio as standard equipment?  Navigation needs?  A $75 Garmin GPS with (lifetime updates) works fine and can be easily replaced as one desires.  Just saying...

The 3.5.1 MFT on my C-Max has been "fair" when it comes to stability. It has rebooted itself twice and earlier in my ownership the voice commands stopped working altogether until I reset everything. It also tends to lag a bit when the car is first powered on.

That being said I really like the technology. I don't know what Consumer Reports are talking about regarding complication. I have found it pretty easy to use for common tasks such as picking radio stations and making phone calls. The large screen with a map has been very helpful at times even when I did not have the navigation engaged. I can't say too much about the climate portion as I have almost never used that.

Bottom line: Despite the bugs I am glad I have MFT. If I had to make the decision again I would still purchase it.

Despite the complaints and bugs the system is very popular.

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-sync-and-myford-touch-sold-on-79-38169

It's sold on nearly 80% on all of 2013 Ford vehicles so Ford has a really big incentive to keep improving the system.

Also, the list showing available voice command was available of 3.1.3.  It was just disabled by default, I used it when I first got my C-Max because I was unfamiliar with the voice command structure and I was too lazy to read through the manual or quickstart guide.

Stable meaning never crashed, never had a problem with phone book download, never had a problem with indexing music, never had a problem with GPS/Navigation etc. (That's all for the 2nd question.)  How well do you like the amount and types of features available, how easy it is to use, how do you like the design, etc.?

(Emphasis mine.)  MFT does NOT necessarily include navigation!

This is my first car with all of these types of "bells and whistles" and so far I love it. Since I only had my C-max about a week before I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 3.6.2 I don't really have anything to compare it to. Yes it is a bit distracting and I need to be careful to not paly around with the controls when I should be watching the road. but the voice and steering wheel controls are really convenient and they work well for me.

I was concerned that I'd run out of warranty on my 2013 C-Max (purchased 2/2013 - I drive a lot) while Ford was still trying to fix it.  I filed a request for buy-back based on Indiana Lemon Law.  The rep said, "No, it is not a driveability issue."  I then called my atty and bought the 2nd car so that I could (a) stop putting miles on while we addressed the buy-back, (b) give time to get updates done/applied, © get over my anger issues with it.

I gave it a D and a D (3.5.1). I get around MFT OK, but it's not very user friendly, and I find Sync to be mostly unusable due to its strict commands. Car infotainment systems should be very easy to use, and MFT is not user friendly enough for me to give it a passing grade. Some minor usability improvements would get it up to a B for me. However, if Sync is going to be lumped in, then it's going to remain a D until they totally re-do it. They need to move to a Siri/Google Now like system that is not dependent on strict voice commands.

I was concerned that I'd run out of warranty on my 2013 C-Max (purchased 2/2013 - I drive a lot) while Ford was still trying to fix it.  I filed a request for buy-back based on Indiana Lemon Law.  The rep said, "No, it is not a driveability issue."  I then called my atty and bought the 2nd car so that I could (a) stop putting miles on while we addressed the buy-back, (b) give time to get updates done/applied, © get over my anger issues with it.

MFT is covered by a 5-year unlimited mile warranty.

I gave it a D and a D (3.5.1). I get around MFT OK, but it's not very user friendly, and I find Sync to be mostly unusable due to its strict commands. Car infotainment systems should be very easy to use, and MFT is not user friendly enough for me to give it a passing grade. Some minor usability improvements would get it up to a B for me. However, if Sync is going to be lumped in, then it's going to remain a D until they totally re-do it. They need to move to a Siri/Google Now like system that is not dependent on strict voice commands.

Google Now/Siri wouldn't work if they didn't have a server farm behind it.  MFT doesn't have an always on internet connection.

I would like a mode where it can remote run the apps on the remote device.  Sort of a HDMI connection if you will.

I see no reason at all for the HVAC controls to be in MFT - they should replace that quadrant with the auto status screen.

It is nice in the Ford Explorer when you have cooled seats and independent, left, right, and rear controls.  Touchscreen can sometimes prevent information easier (due to contextual controls) instead of having a million physical buttons.  In the C-Max, I always use the physical Climate controls.

Google Now/Siri wouldn't work if they didn't have a server farm behind it.  MFT doesn't have an always on internet connection.

This is true, but those systems also run against the universe of data, not just what you have plugged into MFT. I will concede that having such a flexible VR system might be too resource intensive for Sync, but that's where they should try to head.