Highest MPG CMax Club (minimum 500 miles)

Jus-A-CMax

• 2 months later...

And the winner is ................................, well looking at the data a different way, and with a different goal in mind it would be Hannah !  I was pondering a new challenge for us:  highest speed over 50mpgs & 500 miles.

If speed were included as the goal, Hannah achieved an average speed of 32.51 mph over his 50/500.  (50.7 mpg, 508.5 miles, in 15h38m23s)  Check me, I kind of got dizzy looking back at the entries here.  That is very good of course, knowing all of the time we spend idling at stop lights (or sitting in the driveway playing with the dash controls) adds in to the time elapsed.

The new challenge would be to push that 32.51 mph number to greater heights over 500 miles and 50mpg's.  Or if that is too challenging, how about 300 miles?   Hmmmm 30mph/300m/50mpg club, 40/300/50 club, 50/300/50 club???  We might need to use a 300 mile benchmark to keep crazies like me from doing unsafe things - like switching drivers at 40 mph (been there, done that in the old VW Bus - or was that 50 mph?).

Just thoughts.  Maybe we start another thread to discuss?  45 mpgs ?  Fastest 47s?

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

And the winner is ................................, well looking at the data a different way, and with a different goal in mind it would be Hannah !  I was pondering a new challenge for us:  highest speed over 50mpgs & 500 miles.

If speed were included as the goal, Hannah achieved an average speed of 32.51 mph over his 50/500.  (50.7 mpg, 508.5 miles, in 15h38m23s)  Check me, I kind of got dizzy looking back at the entries here.  That is very good of course, knowing all of the time we spend idling at stop lights (or sitting in the driveway playing with the dash controls) adds in to the time elapsed.

The new challenge would be to push that 32.51 mph number to greater heights over 500 miles and 50mpg's.  Or if that is too challenging, how about 300 miles?   Hmmmm 30mph/300m/50mpg club, 40/300/50 club, 50/300/50 club???  We might need to use a 300 mile benchmark to keep crazies like me from doing unsafe things - like switching drivers at 40 mph (been there, done that in the old VW Bus - or was that 50 mph?).

Just thoughts.  Maybe we start another thread to discuss?  45 mpgs ?  Fastest 47s?

Nick

I have already gotten 38mph average with 909miles and 65.4MPG so we need to push the bar up a little higher. I will have to check my shorter distances but I'm pretty sure I've gone over 500mi, 65+mph and getting 47+MPG. I need to check my Iphone pics. I just went back few fullups and got 61.6mph,48.2mpg, 646.1mi.,10:29hrs and 13.4gal and I know I've done better than this, but It will some time to go thru 100+ fillups.LOL :)

With current aeromods I think I'm at 47mpg at 70mph.

Paul

Hurrumph!    :gaah:   Well Paul, I was thinking we might have to exclude you  :redcard: (yust yoking).  Still would like to come up with a third competition option.  We certainly have a good tank mileage and MPG challenge.  Are you sure you have done a 65 mph/500m/47 mpg?  That is outrageous if you have, I'd have peed in my pants a couple times to even come close to that - no 'special tools' would be allowed you know.  I'm thinking that achievement might require more than just aero mods.

Scheming,

Nick

PS  OK Paul, 65 mph / 500 m / 50 mpg, I dare you!

Edited by C-MaxSea

Hurrumph!    :gaah:   Well Paul, I was thinking we might have to exclude you  :redcard: (yust yoking).  Still would like to come up with a third competition option.  We certainly have a good tank mileage and MPG challenge.  Are you sure you have done a 65 mph/500m/47 mpg?  That is outrageous if you have, I'd have peed in my pants a couple times to even come close to that - no 'special tools' would be allowed you know.  I'm thinking that achievement might require more than just aero mods.

Scheming,

Nick

PS  OK Paul, 65 mph / 500 m / 50 mpg, I dare you!

I will need to go back through my IPhone pics to divide time into miles driven. I don't know of anything else to do but aeromods and Hypermiling for improving HWY mileage. I think 65mph,50mpg and 500miles is doable. :)

Paul

Double :gaah: , you guys are going to give us a bad reputation with all those 'trade secrets' let out there.  Time to get my 'looped trips only' soap box out again.  Trust no one has employed that trick here.  :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:

I'd swear I can notice a mere 50' in elevation difference in my 25 mile+- trip mpg's; not to mention coasting/EVing a full two miles into town without a drop of gas.  :play:

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Just show me a 500-mile drive that is all  :airquote: downhill :airquote:...

I wish, that's a good one.  LOL  I hate stooping until my tank is empty. (500mi)  It would appear that this is my best effort so far, 61.6mph,48.2mpg, 646.1mi.,10:29hrs and 13.4gal.  It will take idea conditions to get 65mph,50mpg and 500 miles which means you would have to be going 70mph most of the time to average 65mph. :)

Paul

61.6mph,48.2mpg, 646.1mi.,10:29hrs and 13.4gal

Gadzooks !!!    :worship: :worship: :worship:   That is ding dang good Paul, but what is really amazing is your pitting skills & or bl___er control - do you shut it down and coast into the rest stops?

Nevertheless, it ain't 50mpg's, so back to work for you (tehe)!

Nick

((( whatever the case, no drafting allowed )))

---- sorry for thread interruption conversation, back to best MPG 500s above ----

Edited by C-MaxSea

61.6mph,48.2mpg, 646.1mi.,10:29hrs and 13.4gal

Gadzooks !!!    :worship: :worship: :worship:   That is ding dang good Paul, but what is really amazing is your pitting skills & or bl___er control - do you shut it down and coast into the rest stops?

Nevertheless, it ain't 50mpg's, so back to work for you (tehe)!

Nick

((( whatever the case, no drafting allowed )))

---- sorry for thread interruption conversation, back to best MPG 500s above ----

What do you mean no drafting allowed, part of the time you don't have a chose if you are on the FWY(traffic).  So what it sounds like to me is I have to go 70-75mph to average 65mph and get 50mpg for 500miles and no drafting, right? That would take a 20-30mph tale wind to pole that off. As I said before with the aeromods I currently have I can get 47mpg at 70mph without drafting but that isn't an average 70mph. :drop: :shift:

Paul

Paul, you are supposed to say "it's all in the aero mods, baby".   :superhero: :superhero: :superhero:

((( counting on you to fill my Christmas wish list order for aero mods next winter! ))) 

I'm doing my best with what I have to work with, I'm not crazy I hope. LOL and now I'm Santa Claus LOL all this pressure, WOW. :kookie:

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished off my best tank to date, but I had it peak at 50.0 mpg after I was able to get an 89.2 mpg run to Tunkhannock from my hometown of Montrose (both towns in PA).  For once the water trucks actually helped me by allowing me to slow up on the hills enough to stay in EV mode for multiple climbs that normally required some gas burning (I typically get in the low 60's on the way there, low 40's on the way back).

August 11 2014 mileage peak

The drive from my house to the church where I am the music director is 23.2 miles one way.  When I left this morning, I dropped my wife off at work, and she was worried since she had used it the night before (and actually hypermiled it, maintaining the tank avg at 49.6) and saw the mileage remaining was in single digits, but I had warned her about it and said the tank capacity was fine, and I'd topped off when I'd done the last fill up.  Leaving town was 6 miles remaining, and I made it back from the round trip before refilling.   :rockon:

Edited by TheXym

Congrats!! Glad to see that these cars are capable of hitting 50 mpg!!! :rockon:

A doubter! Have not been on this board long enough...

The CMax is more than capable of 50+ MPG. I have had many trips where I droved 585 miles return trip from 700ft to 7800 ft, temps from 55F to 28F that runs from Los Angeles to Mammoth Mountain and back, full loaded: 45 to 47MPGs. In the city, I average 63MPGs daily. In the right hands and knowing what the CMax can and cannot do, you will get the MPGs out of it. 2 other long time posters here: SDM and Snowstorm has done even longer trips with MPGs > 47  :)

So, unless you drive and work for Consumer Reports in the CMax testing, it ain't hard to get better than the lowly rated MPG of 40. Of course, CR can only get 38MPG while running on a PIDDLY, closed circuit - thats a tough, tough, tough driving MPG test. My hat is off to those skilled drivers... :baby:

Unfortunately, most new CMax drivers do drive like their old gas  cars until they understand and use this new HYBRID driving skill. Frankly, that's because Ford made the car more like a "gas" car in responsiveness and handling and a complete contrast to the way Toyota did to their 10+ yr Prii line (you would think that they too would have learnt something after so many years OWNING the KING of the hybrid cars).

As my fellow forum mate here, Nick, likes to say, the Prii is a :airquote: driving by consensus...hands up all those who want to accelerate in a  Prii...or how about making that turn...hands up now....  :airquote:

Not out CMax, nice MPGs when you use it properly but still allow you to HOON  :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

New personal best 58.0 MPG.  I am thinking of going after 60 MPG in the next few weeks.  Heading to the beach this weekend (which is not conducive to MPG goals).  But when I get back going to  fill up with ethanol free fuel for a tank or two before I try.  I only need 3.5% more to get there.  A little cooler weather so I can drive with the windows up and no AC and pump up the tires to max (from my current 43-44PSI) should put me there.

post-355-0-61839900-1408458279_thumb.jpg

My last two fill-ups look like this (odom now just into the 13,000 miles):

Miles on tank:                 689     660

Gallons actually put in:  13.5    12.8

C-Max mpg readout:      53.0    52.9

Hand cal’cd mpg:           51.0    51.6

Not much hypermileing but just driving and accelerating rather slowly.

Edited by marshtex2