Highest MPG CMax Club (minimum 500 miles)

Jus-A-CMax

My post above was not my best >500, but no picture of the others.

My best distance was 547 miles/12.322 gal/44.4 mpg  June 8, 2013  weather was what I consider neutral, not too hot and not too cold.

My best mileage was 519 miles/11.257 gal/46.1 mpg June 20, 2013, that was my next fill-up from June 8th..Same weather.  

I hadn't realized what the heat had done.

And Jeff - I try to use EV, but the landscape around here does not help, I do try to "maximize" on the downhills.

Hi All,

I see all these great posts about getting great mileage but how much effort are you doing to get great mileage?

There is a learning curve.  Part of this isn't just the driving style, it is also learning the many new and great things that come in the C-MAX.  For example, you now have three screens, and you can change information on the fly via use of the wheel controls.  So, this contributes to the initial effort required to observe road conditions while also feathering the pedal and reading feedback from the information screen.

Very soon, you become competent.  After a few weeks to about a month, you start to want to learn the finer points.  That part can take a while.  I know that I am still working on it after getting my new C-MAX in the end of May.

You don't have to keep working at it, once you are at this level.  If you want to, you can.  By this point, you are probably getting close to best performance.  So, if you decide not to take the next step, you will still get great fuel economy.

I figure that I am already driving.  So, why not make the drive a little more fun by trying to do better with my driving skills?  Really, it can make driving a lot of fun!  :)

My last tank should bump me up a bit. I had it to almost 48 MPG, but had some bad traffic on hills near the end and I chickened out going any further.

552 miles

11.74 gallon

47.0 MPG

I have to go add this one to Fuelly. I really thought it was going to hit the 600 club, and this is still pre update, I have not had a chance to get it in to Ford.

post-1232-0-44555800-1377995630_thumb.jpg

My last tank should bump me up a bit. I had it to almost 48 MPG, but had some bad traffic on hills near the end and I chickened out going any further.

552 miles

11.74 gallon

47.0 MPG

I have to go add this one to Fuelly. I really thought it was going to hit the 600 club, and this is still pre update, I have not had a chance to get it in to Ford.

:congrats:  #12 on the list, you're in like Flynn :)

I'm going to do my best to take over the #2 spot, I'm at 53.1 mpg now and 440 miles.  I should hit 500 miles on Sunday, I've been averaging 54-56 mpg round trips to work and where I volunteer on Sunday I got 65 mpg on the trip there last week, I should pass the mark on that trip so if things go well I should easily top the 53.2 mpg mark.  About 175 miles of this tank have been highway miles where the speed limit is 55 mph.  In addition, I should easily top my 647 mile tank but I'm not sure if I'll get my mpg up enough for a 700 mile tank, although I am very tempted to buy a container and a gallon of gas and keep it in the trunk so I can make a run for it!

I can't wait till my car actually breaks in!

Jus, I seem to remember a picture earlier in this thread... I believe that it said 63.4 mpg... Jus saying it should be at the top :worship:  oh leader of all things mpg!

See :worship:

Damn it frbill....you had to bust me....I had stealthy removed it. I did it cause, imo, it's more fun when others become King of the Hill...ala You! I looked at your MPG...thats a very, very high 700+ tank (well, you are in the 700+ club anyway). Keep it up. However, if I do something astonishing - and I jus may ;)  - I'll let you guys know.,.PS I had a 66+ Trip for my day run today...that is astonishing in my book. Look for it in the 50+ thread...that could mean BIG things upcoming.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Photoshoppers, all of you !!!! what an outrage ;)

:drool: . :lol2: . :stirpot:

Thats right, we all are, according to CR, its NOT POSSIBLE. Someone should send this link to Consumer Reports. I would luv to see this pie-in-their face. 38MPG, my BIG FAT A$$. 23 out of 25 are above the 38MPG mark and we are talking owners from ALL OVER this great country. All we need is a contribution from Laurel to make it international flavor... :dance:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I'm at 497 miles and will pass 500 on Sunday just as I predicted and I am at 53.1 mpg, last week I hit 65.5 mpg on my way to where I'm going so I should be able to bring my mpg up to 53.3 or 53.4.  I've been averaging 54-56 mpg round trip to and from work, it's the other trips I've gone on that are bringing my mileage down.  I actually got stuck behind a semi this morning on a single lane road and it killed my battery in a section of road I usually do well in, so my trip to work was 'only' 65.7, I thought it was going to ruin my chances but somehow I still pulled off a 54.7 mpg round trip.

I have no idea how you could get a 66 mpg round trip!

Do you feel like the update is helping now that you've driven the car a while longer?

I'm at 497 miles and will pass 500 on Sunday just as I predicted and I am at 53.1 mpg, last week I hit 65.5 mpg on my way to where I'm going so I should be able to bring my mpg up to 53.3 or 53.4.  I've been averaging 54-56 mpg round trip to and from work, it's the other trips I've gone on that are bringing my mileage down.  I actually got stuck behind a semi this morning on a single lane road and it killed my battery in a section of road I usually do well in, so my trip to work was 'only' 65.7, I thought it was going to ruin my chances but somehow I still pulled off a 54.7 mpg round trip.

I have no idea how you could get a 66 mpg round trip!

Do you feel like the update is helping now that you've driven the car a while longer?

Honest answer - no difference for city driving but on freeway, I not convinced this blip ice high mpg is any good. I think I get more running higher psi tires---speaking of which I have to check them tomorrow...hope Galpin didn't drop them back down to 38psi from my 44psi since my 20K service... :detective:

My 66 was because I had a optimized my run to work a tad and I changed my strategy of erring more on quicker acceleration from 15mph up to 38mph (above 2 bar) when my SOC was above and focussing on more EV. I noticed that last month or so, I have been erring on the "build" the SOC using the 1 bar to 1.5 bar burns...trying out the ScubaDadMiami 1 bar burns....my old way was a straight 2 bar burn...thats how I got the 833.8 so I learnt something, lost another and its coming back full circle. There is a time for slow burn and another for quick burn, its really a balance....and if the driving tips to one end or the other, than your MPG will go down.

Another words I am a messed up MPG freakazoid...as someone called me once... :kookie:

I tend to stick with the 2 bar burn the majority of the time, really the only time I do a 1 bar burn is when my battery is really low and I want to let it charge a little longer.  If I'm in traffic I'll start off in EV, hang back until a 2 bar burn won't send me through the back of the car in front of me, and if I catch up before I hit the speed limit I'll coast for a little until I have room again.  Every time the ICE is going I make sure it is charging the battery.  

Do you just use the 1 bar burn to build your SoC or is it for something else? 

Actually, I try to stick to 1 bar burns during the warm up cycle so that my first half mile or so is around 25 mpg, if I use 2 bars I've seen it get into the single digits...

I am coming to a conclusion that a 1 bar burn is only good for recharge batts...its way too slow for LA traffic to be of any use in accelerating. I sometimes kick it in at 35mph if I need some charge. Also don't be afraid to gun it even higher either...I am pretty sure what you burn in that gunning is WAY less than a 1 bar burn to get up to that speed. Get to speed and EV away...and somewhere along the line like red light ahead, use that to build charge. At 35 mph city traffic, our EV goes a long, long way.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

As promised here is my entry, 53.3 mpg over 544.5 miles.  I got to my destination this morning with a half full battery so I drove around the parking lot trying to get 53.4 mpg to no avail, it takes a lot to get another tenth of an mpg when you get 500+ miles into a tank.  Afterwards I made a couple more stops and came home, checked my mileage and it was still 53.3 mpg so I took another pic, which is the one you see below.  I bet if I had paid attention I could have gotten a picture at 53.4 mpg at some point while driving around.  (I live on top of a hill so I usually lose a tenth coming home)

I bet I'll top this when I get to work tomorrow, I've been averaging 70-75 mpg going to work and 54-56 mpg for the day.  I'm happy with what I have here though, it's a 1.9 mpg bump from my previous personal best.  Still a little shy of a 700 mile tank though I should easily top my previous 647 mile tank.

IMG 20130908 152415

Edit:  For my next tank I think I am going to bump my tire pressure up to 44 psi, I haven't even checked it since I bought the car, it could be anything right now...
Edited by SnitGTS

As promised here is my entry, 53.3 mpg over 544.5 miles.  I got to my destination this morning with a half full battery so I drove around the parking lot trying to get 53.4 mpg to no avail, it takes a lot to get another tenth of an mpg when you get 500+ miles into a tank.  Afterwards I made a couple more stops and came home, checked my mileage and it was still 53.3 mpg so I took another pic, which is the one you see below.  I bet if I had paid attention I could have gotten a picture at 53.4 mpg at some point while driving around.  (I live on top of a hill so I usually lose a tenth coming home)

I bet I'll top this when I get to work tomorrow, I've been averaging 70-75 mpg going to work and 54-56 mpg for the day.  I'm happy with what I have here though, it's a 1.9 mpg bump from my previous personal best.  Still a little shy of a 700 mile tank though I should easily top my previous 647 mile tank.

Edit:  For my next tank I think I am going to bump my tire pressure up to 44 psi, I haven't even checked it since I bought the car, it could be anything right now...

:congrats: #2...jus pipped CoolMax. FrBill is still TOP DOG... ;)

You know what, Coolmax might have beat me...

Doing the math:

My trip = 544.5 miles / 10.21 gallons = 53.330 mpg

Coolmax = 671.2 miles / 12.57 gallons = 53.396 mpg

I know the numbers aren't exact and I didn't go look for his image to verify the numbers, but from the information I have his trip mpg should be reading 53.3 mpg, not 53.2.  (he was VERY close to a 53.4, but the car does not round up)

Edit:  I'll have to take another picture tomorrow when I get to work at 53.4+ to really claim the #2 spot. (really should be #4 since Jus & Recomp would be 1 & 2)

Edit 2:  Never mind, I'm #2!  I found the image and he used 12.59 gallons, not 12.57, and that comes out to 53.312.  That's close enough that if we had more decimal places it might end up in the 53.2 range, so the pic isn't wrong.

Edited by SnitGTS