Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire

Tire Spare

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   C-Maxed

C-Maxed

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Your question is a valid question.  With the current design I don't see where they could put the spare, but they have world class engineers so I think they could figure something out.  They could design the next version to have a "taller" profile so they can get the battery and spare in the back.  It doesn't have to be much space, 6" depth is about all they need for those thin spares they had in the Taurus.  But that is the future adn doesn't help us now.  Give someone some time and they will gigure something out I have no doubt.  I don't regret the purchase at all, just trying to minimize future inconveniences.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 145 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-MAX

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I can`t understand why they could`nt have incorporated a exterior emergency spare tire to go under the rear of the Vehicle like the Explorer had?  A small "Donut" would`nt have taken up that much room and are fairly thin.  The Jack and Tool KIt could have been stashed in a compartment alongside the Rear Storage area or under the seat or floor, either front or back of Vehicle.  It was a Cost savings, IMO.  Weight and Fuel Economy were secondary.

#43 OFFLINE   leenanj

leenanj

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationNV
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Your question is a valid question.  With the current design I don't see where they could put the spare, but they have world class engineers so I think they could figure something out.  They could design the next version to have a "taller" profile so they can get the battery and spare in the back.  It doesn't have to be much space, 6" depth is about all they need for those thin spares they had in the Taurus.  But that is the future adn doesn't help us now.  Give someone some time and they will gigure something out I have no doubt.  I don't regret the purchase at all, just trying to minimize future inconveniences.

I have to agree, there should be spare and they should have found a means and a way.

Subaru use to put them in the engine compartment above the engine on some models, maybe they still do.

Guess with all the other problems they figure a spare is the least of our worries, did I just say that!

#44 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini ALL4

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Seems like the pump and sealer under the passenger seat should have fixed this type of leak.

Well.... one day before we had the car one full month we had gone out to eat, came out of the restaurant and noticed one of the tires was flat.  I could see the big screw that was the culprit.

#45 OFFLINE   C-Maxed

C-Maxed

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Unfortunately the screw apparently did two much damage and could not be repaired. We had to replace the tire. 

#46 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Seems like the pump and sealer under the passenger seat should have fixed this type of leak.

Probably would have done a temporary emergency fix that would have fouled and required the replacement of the TPMS Sensor and the Tire would still need to be properly repaired (if possible) later at a Shop.  My 2013 Kia Rio5 came with the Toy Air Compressor and $5 Can of Tire Sealant Goo located in styrofoam box fastened into the Spare Tire well in the Trunk.  I through everything out and got a Brand New Emergency Mini- Spare Tire and Jack Assembly w/Tool from a Salvage Yard wreck for under $100.  Problem solved!

#47 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

I can appreciate your feelings, but I have to ask this question again..."Where are they supposed to put the spare?"

They could put it on the floor of the cargo compartment.

Or, they could mount it vertically to the side of the cargo compartment, like my old Jeep Cherokee did.

Or, they could offer an optional outside swing-away tire carrier, like the Cherokee also did.

Thinking back on my own history of flat tires, I've had one flat tire in the city in my 30 years of driving.  But I get one about every other year when I'm on the road - on a back road in Colorado, on a dirt road in New Mexico, by the sand dunes in the middle of Wyoming.  Those places don't have cell service, and tow trucks often won't leave paved roads or charge extra if they do, and then it takes many hours.

I can understand making a spare tire optional, since probably a majority of people mostly drive in major cities and the major highways between major cities.  But they should make a provision for a spare as an extra cost option for those who go off the beaten path.  Not a can of fix-a-flat, not a donut spare, but a real, full-size, full-speed spare wheel and tire.

#48 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

They could put it on the floor of the cargo compartment.

Or, they could mount it vertically to the side of the cargo compartment, like my old Jeep Cherokee did.

Or, they could offer an optional outside swing-away tire carrier, like the Cherokee also did.

Thinking back on my own history of flat tires, I've had one flat tire in the city in my 30 years of driving.  But I get one about every other year when I'm on the road - on a back road in Colorado, on a dirt road in New Mexico, by the sand dunes in the middle of Wyoming.  Those places don't have cell service, and tow trucks often won't leave paved roads or charge extra if they do, and then it takes many hours.

I can understand making a spare tire optional, since probably a majority of people mostly drive in major cities and the major highways between major cities.  But they should make a provision for a spare as an extra cost option for those who go off the beaten path.  Not a can of fix-a-flat, not a donut spare, but a real, full-size, full-speed spare wheel and tire.

The one place that I would never put either a Full Size Spare Tire or a Mini- Emergency (Donut) Spare Tire is mounted to the (exterior) Rear Hatch Door like older Kia Sportages, Toyota Rave 4, and Honda CRV`s had.  Anyone who has owned a Car with that horrible failed design eventually has paid a small fortune, sometimes several times to repair damage cause by it coming into contact with something.

#49 OFFLINE   KAL Cmax

KAL Cmax

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 70 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I just had my first flat tire today with 1500 miles on my car. Road construction, raised manhole covers do wonders to your side walls. So $225 lighter for a new tire and 3 hrs lost to towing just because I didn't have a spare. I also haven't had a flat tire that I needed a spare in almost 10 years, I know I've had to change one just can't remember it has been that long.

I called Ford roadside assistance, I was told 75 mins until a truck arrived. This happened only 10 miles north of Boston. So I called AAA and 30 mins later they arrived. NTB National Tire and Battery had the OEM tire in stock. So it cost me an extra $20 to be towed 10 miles instead of free and I had the tire replaced on a Sunday.

Oh well... so far, all the money I saved in gas just went to a new tire...

I still love the car though.

#50 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'm going to keep my AAA and GEICO services, in case of just such a mishap.  Even with the extended tire warranty, I like the idea of options, such as on Sundays.

Tough break.  Sorry for your loss.  At least it was a little less bad for you.

• SOMD likes this

#51 OFFLINE   slampro

slampro

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationEL Paso
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Escape Hybrid, Cmax Hybrid Sel 303A, pano roof.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

I don't take a lot of road trips anymore. But I am thinking when we do,I just might have to get a cartop carrier and put a donut spare in it. I like to drive at night mostly, and don't want to be stranded on the side of the road with the wife and kids. Yea, it will probably affect the mileage, but at least I'll feel better. If it happens in town, I will just use the F150 and tow it to be fixed myself.

Edited by slampro, 19 June 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   stranger267

stranger267

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 42 posts
  • Location94596
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-MAX SE

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

Ok, so now I have 14,500 miles and 8 month on CMAX. And you know what

- I already lost 1/2 day because it does not have spare tire. Tire was broken in halves by the brick on freeway.

- and in other case I used their kit (tire had small puncture) and it worked fine, through I prefer to have both, mobility kit + SPARE.

SPARE is absolute, 100%, MUST for any long trip. No way to use service if you are sticked with flat tire on mountain road 100 miles from big cities.

What I think they could do or even they MUST do:

- offer spare tire KIT. It can have some holder to fix it outside on the back, or inside, and protective case. So if we make long trip, we can take it (even if it takes some MPG). Else, as I said, car became useless for any trips.

- their SERVICE which they offer for free should bring SPARE tire. Not tow you (and then you lost 1/2 day as for example no one can fix your tire Sunday evening) but just bring and install spare tire. They can charge for it or just lease, no matter.

Else... I don't know,. I love this car, but spare tire became a show stopper - I can;t actually use it (car) for the long trips, especially in bad weather.  Maybe, _NO SPARE_ is OK for all electric ar (which definitely never will make long trips, such as SFBA - Yellowstone - Moab - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - SFBA) or for small city-only cars like Smart, but it is 100% MUST for any other car.

• andeeca likes this

#53 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini ALL4

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I completed my spare tire kit.  I found an unused temporary wheel+tire from a late-model Ford Taurus at a 'Pick and Pull' place.  It cost all of $18.  I will use the jack from our other car (fits C-Max seam jack point with no problems) along with a 19mm socket and long ratchet wrench.  We will use it on our vacation to Idaho and Montana this summer and at other times where we venture away from main highways.

It takes a relatively small amount of space in the boot and I will secure it with a ratchet strap to the tie-down points. Because of its smaller diameter and width, I will only mount it in a rear position (in case of a front flat a full-size rear wheel will be switched to the front ).

T135/70-15 temp spare compared to stock tire of C-Max:

gallery_25_26_693.jpg

Edited by DR61, 24 June 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Ok, so now I have 14,500 miles and 8 month on CMAX. And you know what

- I already lost 1/2 day because it does not have spare tire. Tire was broken in halves by the brick on freeway.

- and in other case I used their kit (tire had small puncture) and it worked fine, through I prefer to have both, mobility kit + SPARE.

SPARE is absolute, 100%, MUST for any long trip. No way to use service if you are sticked with flat tire on mountain road 100 miles from big cities.

What I think they could do or even they MUST do:

- offer spare tire KIT. It can have some holder to fix it outside on the back, or inside, and protective case. So if we make long trip, we can take it (even if it takes some MPG). Else, as I said, car became useless for any trips.

- their SERVICE which they offer for free should bring SPARE tire. Not tow you (and then you lost 1/2 day as for example no one can fix your tire Sunday evening) but just bring and install spare tire. They can charge for it or just lease, no matter.

Else... I don't know,. I love this car, but spare tire became a show stopper - I can;t actually use it (car) for the long trips, especially in bad weather.  Maybe, _NO SPARE_ is OK for all electric ar (which definitely never will make long trips, such as SFBA - Yellowstone - Moab - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - SFBA) or for small city-only cars like Smart, but it is 100% MUST for any other car.

That's why I sprung for a full size wheel and tire and tie it down in the back.  I was in a hurry but you could probaby find a cheaper one with the same geometry if you researched a bit.

#55 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

I completed my spare tire kit.  I found an unused temporary wheel+tire from a late-model Ford Taurus at a 'Pick and Pull' place.  It cost all of $18.  I will use the jack from our other car (fits C-Max seam jack point with no problems) along with a 19mm socket and long ratchet wrench.  We will use it on our vacation to Idaho and Montana this summer and at other times where we venture away from main highways.

It takes a relatively small amount of space in the boot and I will secure it with a ratchet strap to the tie-down points. Because of its smaller diameter and width, I will only mount it in a rear position (in case of a front flat a full-size rear wheel will be switched to the front ).

T135/70-15 temp spare compared to stock tire of C-Max:

gallery_25_26_693.jpg

I have a T135-90R15 which is also smaller.  ( Is that 70 a typo or is that the size of your spare?)  I tested it on the front with traction control off and it pulled on braking(I assume because it is turning faster).  If I had time I would only use the spare on the back, but having tested it, I could it use short term up front being extra alert on braking.  Jamming on the brakes could be really bad.  If I were to do it again I would try to find a better fitting tire.  I also carry a flat fix kit and an inflator.  The manufacturer installed fix kit seems expensive and time consuming to me.  By the way, that spare looks in really good condition and a great deal for $18.

Edited by obob, 24 June 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 205 posts
  • Locationvirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

So here is my question:  I have a 2009 Taurus - tires are 215/60R17, the spare tire is a T135/90D17 (I guess its similar to obob's spare tire).  C-Max takes a P225/50R17.  I'm going on a long trip.  Would it be useful to borrow my Taurus spare and jack? 

I compared the lug holes between the spare and C-Max wheels and it appears that the holes may not be entirely the same.  Do they have to be perfectly the same?

Edited by joe, 25 July 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

So here is my question:  I have a 2009 Taurus - tires are 215/60R17, the spare tire is a T135/90D17 (I guess its similar to obob's spare tire).  C-Max takes a P225/50R17.  I'm going on a long trip.  Would it be useful to borrow my Taurus spare and jack? 

I compared the lug holes between the spare and C-Max wheels and it appears that the holes may not be entirely the same.  Do they have to be perfectly the same?

This thread has some good info.

http://fordcmaxhybri...x-hybrid/page-2

Looking at my post #25 there is a link that I thought could be used to find out what the spacing is for a 2009 taurus but it doesn't work for 2009, but 2008 does not match. ( http://www.roadkillc...9#axzz2a6NzkUce )

Perhaps just try to put it on.

And my post #29 has the circumference of the C-Max tires and the circumference of spare I have which is smaller.  Your spare may be bigger for it has a bigger wheel which may be perfect.  Note: smaller spare pulls when braking as describe in that post.

Post #17 has the C-Max bolt measurements and some other Ford Models but not the 2009 Taurus.  So the info is out there somewhere on the web.

PS, you also need a jack.

By the way, I also carry a flat fix kit and an inflater, though as I recall, someone seemed to figure out the thing Ford includes to fix tires can also be used as an inflater without using the sealer.

Edited by obob, 25 July 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 205 posts
  • Locationvirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

I did some checking.

My 2009 Taurus bolt pattern is 5-115 or 4.48

The C-Max bolt pattern is 5-108 or 4.25

So, the holes are not identical.  I suspect the .007 or .23 size difference is too great.

#59 OFFLINE   SamJ20112

SamJ20112

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

I just had an idea. So the Energi's load floor is raised due to the larger battery pack... Any way to make a similar shelf and put the spare underneath? It could potentially be made to look stock. Of course one of the reasons that many of us did not consider the Energi was the refusal to compromise on trunk space... But for those that did not have that concern, maybe it's worth exploring.

I have a C-Max Hybrid (not Energi version) and created just such an arrangement, though I wasn't concerned with "making it look stock," since it only shows when the rear door is opened.  The compact spare sits on the original shelf, in the center, with the jack (wrapped in a towel to eliminate rattling) resting underneath.  Since I build furniture as a hobby, I built the frame for the "false floor" from wood (walnut, in fact.)  I placed a piece of cut-to-fit Masonite on the frame (the majority of the Masonite rests on the spare tire, since I built the frame the same height.)  Since the car is my wife's, I offered to carpet the Masonite, but she declined.  However, over the Masonite sits a cargo mat which hides the flooring except when the rear door is opened.

Attached File  spare 1.jpg   397.55KB   0 downloadsAttached File  spare 2.jpg   360.92KB   0 downloadsAttached File  spare 3.jpg   377.75KB   0 downloads

Edited by SamJ20112, 14 January 2014 - 10:46 AM.

• Noah Harbinger likes this

#60 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I ordered one of these and a 2013 Focus spare;

Edited by darrelld, 02 December 2013 - 08:35 PM.

• ScubaDadMiami likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tire, Spare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·