Ford Software Issues

GDPirie

I just called my Ford Dealer outside of Seattle, Wa to get the 13C02 Headliner recall as well as the 13B07 Powertrain Module upgrade and the Sync and tailgate upgrades.  The service scheduler said she would need the car for 3 days.  I asked why when 3 of the service items were software upgrades and the other one is additional absorbtion material above the headliner do they need it so long.  She said that they were having troubles with the software upgrades not working correctly and having to get additional support from the Ford factory.  I didn't want them to have the car for three days if they were having problems and I certainly didn't want one of their used car rentals after reading other posts.  After talking to the Service Manager he also said they were having problems with the computer upgrade not working correctly and downloading software from Ford.  He suggested that if the car was working O.K., then it might be a good idea to wait a while until Ford irons out their software download gremlins.  I certainly concur with that advice; I don't want a Powertrain Module upgrade causing other problems.  I am now in a software hold.  They will call when the bugs are worked out and then I will take my C-Max in.

I had the PCM upgrade and the A/C SSM done last week. The tailgate was done in early July. I performed the SYNC update myself on Monday. All is working fine and it took my dealer two days to complete. So far, no problems or glitches.

GDPirie,  I think the software updates/upgrades are not necessarily the issue.  In some cases, it may be that the dealer is just getting up to speed on staff training for these.  I had our C-Max in to Pierre Ford in Lake City (NE Seattle) last week at 8:00 am and it was done by 1:30.  That included three software updates:  13A01 (Sync 3.5.1), 13B06 (Rear Liftgate), and 13B07 PCM Update (Fuel Economy).  Alternatively, your dealer may have been waiting for head liner parts, and blaming it on software.

No problems at Pierre Ford in Seattle - great service department (so far).

Sure hope the engineers at Ford have the fuel economy update right.  I was up over 50 mpg for the current tank, and now it has dropped back under 50 mpg. Tested the PCM software upgrade on the freeway today mostly around 60mph (60 zone), but cruising at 63-65 in EV under eco-cruise when the speed limit was at 70 - came in around 47.5 mpg for 80 miles.

Best of luck.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

IIRC, the only thing I've ever heard about not downloading correctly was the MFT 3.5.1 update.  People who have reported problems with  13B07 is because the correct version of software was not  on the laptop used for updating.  (Seems like a training/not following instructions issue, but I could be wrong.)

This message was issued a couple of days ago:

SSM 44124 - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

It is no wonder some of the service techs have problems with the software updates. :confused:

Interesting comments and I appreciate them.  I think I'll wait a while to see what my dealer comes up with, but a half a day at Bill Pierre sounds inviting.  Having dealt with software for many years I am now curious if there is any way the owner can verify the software version in the PCM and if there is a way of verifying that it is installed correctly.  I have seen a couple of comments that owners have not seen any measurable improvement after the PCM upgrade.  I can appreciate that my dealer may be having startup problems on software and he has said so.  I hope the tech that upgrades software isn't the same one that rotates the tires.

Regards; George

This message was issued a couple of days ago:

SSM 44124 - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

It is no wonder some of the service techs have problems with the software updates. :confused:

how to consider as a "correct" update?  if the update is "incorrect", does it:

1) not kicks in EV at all above 60mph?

OR

2) it will still kicks in EV above 60mph BUT having worst Fuel Economy? (i.e.: pre update is 45mpg and post update is 40mpg??)

Edited by 666

The update is correct if it will run in EV mode above 62 mph.

I had to take the car in twice to get the update correct.  The first time, there was no change in EV above 62 mph.

The second time, it will go into EV well above 62 mph if the conditions are right (usually cruising down hill).

As others have noticed, your EV+ locations will be lost if the update was done correctly.

I've noticed an improvement in MPG.  My morning commute (18 miles, 75% highway) mpg went from 45 mpg to over 50 mpg.

I had Ruby in the shop yesterday for the headliner recall, FE update, tailgate update and The Works (oil change and tire rotations).  Took the car in first thing in the morning and picked it up that afternoon.  I updated MFT to 3.6 myself the day before.  No noticeable difference in the headliner.  The tailgate is definitely better and EV kicks in above 65mph.  Today is my long commute day, 43 miles one way, mostly interstate.  I got 49.5 mpg which is about 2.5 better than my previous best.

Edited by lowbar

Just got the recall and update letters yesterday. I will be calling for apointment today and give them time to order the headliner in and HOPFULLY download the CORRECT software update.

I'm looking forward to this. I drive a lot on the freeway. (Speed limit just went up from 65 to 70 in Ohio)

Now if they could come out with an update for my 1956 Ford 860 tractor. I use a lot of gas cutting and bailing hay. ha ha ha....... :lol:

Headline and FE Update done yesterday afternoon.  Took it in a 9 AM - I don't think they even looked at it until after lunch and it was ready about 4 PM.  Everything is working great. Took the highway this morning and was able to stay in EV above 65 - as long as the battery held out.

I also checked the time on the car when I took it in and when I picked it up and looks like they had it started for about 3 hours.

I had the headliner and FE updates done today.  Took about 2 hours total.

The headliner update entails the installation of a plastic ribbed pieces about 4x6 inches above both driver and passenger seat.  It is a major job because dropping the headliner requires removal of lots of trim components as well as visors.

this HAS been mentioned before, not in this thread but several of the update threads regarding the update. the info from Ford advises the dealer to ensure they have a hardwired (ethernet) connection. so many folks here were saying their dealer couldn't do the update because of the wireless connection being used was getting dropped half way thru the update, requiring a restart from the beginning.

One issue not mentioned is if the computer the techs are using is on a wireless connection, there can be disconnection problems, which forces them to have to possibly restart the update install back at step 1.

this HAS been mentioned before, not in this thread but several of the update threads regarding the update. the info from Ford advises the dealer to ensure they have a hardwired (ethernet) connection. so many folks here were saying their dealer couldn't do the update because of the wireless connection being used was getting dropped half way thru the update, requiring a restart from the beginning.

It sounds like those dealerships, where problems have happened, rely too much on Wi-Fi. I actually mentioned to my SA about Ford's recommendation to have the servicing computers hard wired & he actually liked that suggestion, that he was gonna mention it to the higher ups.

One issue not mentioned is if the computer the techs are using is on a wireless connection, there can be disconnection problems, which forces them to have to possibly restart the update install back at step 1.

This was the problem my dealer was having when I got the 3.5.1 upgrade.  I told them it wasn't going to work for them until they dropped a CAT 5 line out to the service bay.  Can't do it with WiFi since the signal strength can vary and cause the download to fail

I just got mine scheduled to update the software and do the headliner on Friday.

There is one thing I haven't seen  here. If you go to have the software update and have push button start take both key thobs with you because they will have to be reprogramed to the car after the update.

Just thought I would post this in case the service dept. failed to mention it.

I just got mine scheduled to update the software and do the headliner on Friday.

There is one thing I haven't seen  here. If you go to have the software update and have push button start take both key thobs with you because they will have to be reprogramed to the car after the update.

Well guess I'm screwed then?  I had the software update done last week but only gave them the key fob that I use.  My wife's key fob wasn't done.  But it seems to work ok since she has used it and all seems fine so far.  But good that you pointed this out.

NOT TRUE

I was told to bring both keys because they would have to program them to the car again after they reflash computer.

As long as there is no problem. Then service must not know what they're doing. Oh my. I'd better get plenty of asprin because I see have lots of headaches in my future. :kookie:  

Another clueless dealer but who knows what might happen so you might as well take along both keys.  :)   Also, you might want to take a copy of the OASIS report from here and copied below so they know what IDS software and VCM to use.

6427 - Field Service Action 13B07 - Special Instruction 
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration. When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

I was told to bring both keys because they would have to program them to the car again after they reflash computer.

As long as there is no problem. Then service must not know what they're doing. Oh my. I'd better get plenty of asprin because I see have lots of headaches in my future. :kookie:  

They do need both keys if they reprogram body control module (I ran into this situation when I was having my remote start switched out).  Maybe your dealer always says that just in case.

Plus 3 Golfer

I already have the OASIS report printed out and highlighted for them. :future:

I thought it may come in handy. Now if they read it or not WHO NO's?

I also am having them check my compressor. I printed out a report about the low coolant level may cause it.

I am having them check a start up problem to. Cassidy B had the same thing with her car and posted what the solution was. I printed that also.

I still have a bad feeling about what they're going to do to my Maxie.