And this is why it's my last Ford product

valkraider

Well I always get new software and OS updates on my phone.  Apparently some TVs have software updates now, too (though most upgrades with TVs are hardware-based).  My Playstation gets updates.  My computer gets updates. 

Apple supports previous hardware versions with their software.   Windows runs on all sorts of devices.  Android runs on a metric crap load of different devices. 

Considering that the MFT is the 'central command' and we can't replace it or upgrade it, I do think they should support previous hardware versions when new software comes out.   Not to mention, current MFT, like I mentioned, isn't that great.

I find it highly insulting to be told to 'stop bitching, just buy a new car' when manufacturers of a $500 piece of hardware can manage backwards compatibility.  In terms of computers, you can upgrade the hardware pieces to support new software.  You're telling me that the parts and pieces can't be upgraded?  Bull.  They should offer a retrofit kit.  It's business practices like this that turn people away from companies.

It's not like I'm asking them to give me new tires or new suspension components.

I think "upgrade" here is the wrong word.  Sure you can upgrade---software updates, new maps for the nav. etc.

What you mean is "replace the existing system with the next system". 

I would have loved to replace the Audi MMI in my 2005 A6 (which was an $86,000 car when new)   The bluetooth couldn't pick up my phone--the "cradle" for the phone would only accept certain older models.  The nav was seriously flawed.  

Sure it would have been great to pull out that system and plug in a new one.  Totally impossible---or prohibitively expensive.  Take your pick.  If I had asked Audi they would have told me what Ford told you.......buy a new model.

You can't blame Ford for this. 

Ford can certainly port a version of the new software to work on our systems.  I get them not installing new hardware, but not including new software? Lame.

It's like if you were to buy a phone then two years later the maker says "Well, we're doing a new operation system but you don't get it."  Guess you'll have to buy a new phone *insert trollface*.

The way I sense it: Ford knows how messed up MFT and sync are.  They were so grossed out that they are not using microsoft anymore.  It is a real black eye. To offer updates would be astronomically expensive, even with an upgrade charge.  Too many difference nuances of the models and lots of personel needed to support something like that.  I suspect some of Ford's light bulbs have not been too bright in areas of electronics, though I did read about them hiring lots of tech types a while back, though hiring lots of people is not necessarily good - need to hire smart and also let go smart.

By the way, when I got my C-Max I was surprised to find out I had Microsoft software.

1. My phone did not pair.  I bought another phone that did pair but stopped using it because I got a dead battery and thought it had something to do with that. 

2. I record mp3s and can't play them on my usb drive because of some protection.  I can burn them to a CD and play them.  ( not illegal recording BTW )

So I kind of put a emotional wall around the entertainment system so I wouldn't go into the black hole of stupidity.  If I don't focus on the black holes, I can enjoy the car and realize that there are also some very, very creative and well done aspects of this car that reflect that some of Ford's light bulbs are quite bright.

Edited by obob

That's completely different and you know so.

I'm not so sure. It is quite possible that the new system is not even running the same OS, and has different hardware requirements from what we currently have. That would make it more like an upgrade from PS3 to PS4 - quite simply, a different system entirely. That is not the same as an upgrade for a phone, which works on the same hardware. In point of fact, Ford has been upgrading the current sync over time.

It just depends on how much they changed the new Sync, and in what way.

I suspect the OP and others complaining know that Steve.  We see the same thing on forums about cell phones. People will never buy (insert brand here) because I bought this phone only two years ago and I have to wait 30 days for the new version of Android.  I want to stomp my feet and hold my breath until they change the policy!  Never buy them again!

I suspect the OP and others complaining know that Steve.  We see the same thing on forums about cell phones. People will never buy (insert brand here) because I bought this phone only two years ago and I have to wait 30 days for the new version of Android.  I want to stomp my feet and hold my breath until they change the policy!  Never buy them again!

Boy, aren't you just a condescending old man!

I'm not so sure. It is quite possible that the new system is not even running the same OS, and has different hardware requirements from what we currently have. That would make it more like an upgrade from PS3 to PS4 - quite simply, a different system entirely. That is not the same as an upgrade for a phone, which works on the same hardware. In point of fact, Ford has been upgrading the current sync over time.

It just depends on how much they changed the new Sync, and in what way.

Perhaps.  Maybe.  They both do run on ARM, granted they are on different chipsets. Why won't they make a retrograde kit?  Right, because that doesn't sell more cars.

Is 66 not old nowadays?  Is it one of those "66 is the new 50" deals?  

I don't know, all I know is that I don't approve of Ford leaving us all high and dry with the crappy MFT system and I personally feel that they should attempt to at least provide a version of Sync 3 for us, even if it's somewhat crippled.  Is this the part where you say, "Back in MY day, we had to crank our cars by hand to get them started."  

No sir, you were correct.  I am getting old.  But using age in a discussion on the internet seems like you have nothing else much to argue in your case.  

I couldn't walk my two miles uphill to school until I had done my chores, drdiesel1!

Tried to, but got lead astray by your condescending replies.  Hard to discuss something when the other party is just insulting.

I agree the OP is unrealistic in expecting Ford to offer an upgrade to the next Sync version. Having said that, the current Synch version has a well documented history of not working properly. See this thread for a recent example:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4744-audio-voice-command-stopped-working/

There is ample evidence that the current Sync version has not performed well and does not meet it's own specifications. I hope Ford will continue to support and improve the current Sych version. If not, then more people will be inclined to take a negative opinion of Ford (as the OP did). No one should expect Ford to upgrade us to the latest Sync, but hopefully Ford will support the Sync we originally paid for. 

Edited by Zathrus

Why would you buy a Ford if you dislike the MFT so much? I have no problem with it and if I need more I just reach in my pocket and pull out my phone.

Well, when I demo'd it, it seemed pretty good.  After using it for a while, not so much.  It's not like I had months to try it out before I bought the car.

Perhaps.  Maybe.  They both do run on ARM, granted they are on different chipsets. Why won't they make a retrograde kit?  Right, because that doesn't sell more cars.

My day job is testing software, so I have some experience in these sort of decisions. At a certain point, it simply isn't a viable option to do an upgrade, if you've changed your product such that trying to shoehorn it into a different hardware platfrom simply isn't worth it from either an economic, time, or technical standpoint. I suspect this decision is technical.

These days a car is a multiconnected set of computers (it has been more and more like that since the late 1980's). At this point it is like a small computer network, and there is a lot of programming, most of it customized by the auto manufacturer to their specific brand. Ford has chosen a different path for their entertainment system, and I'm sure they would have provided it to current owners if it were technically feasable. I don't consider "technically feasible" to include swapping out hardware parts on a vehicle they sold 1,2,3,4 - or however many - years ago.

They began some time ago to redesign their computer systems in each vehicle to include the new sync. They can't keep updating past products. There is a long lead time in designing new products, and it is not a simple matter to just retrofit software onto a different platform. This is not to say they don't have a responsibility to fix any problems found in their current releases, of course. They do, and they have released new versions of their current Sync.

The current Sync is just OK, in my opinion. It could be a lot better. I recognize the interface design because I have used Microsoft products for years, so that I intuiatively understand at least some of the ways it works. I suspect it may be harder for Apple users!

Edited by stevedebi

I highly recommend due diligence.  I had a brother who bought a C-Max and loved it.  I still went on forums and read as much as I could on the subject.  I read that Sync was problematic.  But since that was not the reason I bought the car I felt the good points far outweighed the bad I had read about Sync.  Now 7 months and 5K miles of driving my C-Max has only made me think that Sync is not near as bad as described or I got lucky with a trouble free unit.  I am older than many on here but have been involved in computer technology as in working with computers and networks for almost 30 years.  

Would I have designed it different?  Sure.  Would I modify if I could replace a board or two.  Sure.  But will not lose any sleep over what I bought because I practiced due diligence.  

Maybe you and I are brothers from another mother?

I'm older as well, and have been involved in IT for many decades and I *really* like Sync.  Is it perfect?  No, far from it, it has many things that could be improved, but it's far better than I thought I'd be able to afford right now.  In many ways it reminds me of the first or second iteration of the iPhone (and I bought those as well).

And while we're on that particular topic -- while iOS could be upgraded on many phones, there were many features that could not.  When Siri itself was introduced it was not backwards compatible.  I suspect the OP here would have had a fit at that -- hmmm, a voice technology that COULDN'T be applied to his existing iPhone?  Why, I should never have bought another Apple product again.

(What's that saying about cutting off your nose to spite your face?  Oh, that's the saying).