Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Fuel injector failure every 37,000 miles

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 492 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

Well, count me in the failed injector camp.  "Misfire in cylinder 3."  Same symptoms as others, viz. VERY rough idle, check engine light, and, in my case, an accelerator pedal that did nothing.  Press on the pedal and nothing happens.  Weird sensation.  Rather like a computer mouse that doesn't work.  Oh, but the "ready to drive" message and icon were displayed.

I ran a health check and it said the check engine light is on.  That was helpful.  Engineering test mode showed no codes whatever.

Had car towed to dealer and three workdays later "DTC p0203" and "replace #3 injector."  All done under warranty (43k mi).  Including the tow.

So now I'm back on the road but with gradually failing trust in the cars reliability.  Too bad.  I really, really like the car.

PS:  It's getting harder and harder to refrain from sarcasm when writing posts.

What's your mileage ?  Thanks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,023 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Did you try injector cleaner?

Paul

#63 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 623 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Did you try injector cleaner?

Paul

No.  Car was too sick.

Repair order says, "ck engine light on ids test dtc p0203 perform pin point test kg1 to kg5 found open circuit in #3 injector", for which the correction is to replace the injector.

• ptjones likes this

#64 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 144 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

Since it is "open circuit", injector cleaner would not help.  It is electrical failure.

Although one failed at 37k, there is no reason to believe all (and replacement) will have similar short life.    Knock on wood.

#65 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,023 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

At 116K mi.  now and everything is working and using the NOS Octane Booster really helped my FE and it was already great. :)

Paul

#66 OFFLINE   BarBT

BarBT

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationPine River, Mn
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMAX

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

I wish I could get 37K miles. I've replaced it twice since July which was about 10K miles. I'm thankful that we bought an extended service warranty but really don't think I should have to pay $100 every time this obviously defective part fails. I've found that overall the CMAX is a bad choice for Minnesota winter driving. The chassis is too low which results in ice build up in the under carriage. I asked about this when I purchased the car and was assured it was not a problem. Trust me, it is a big problem! There are so many other things that I like about this vehicle that I wish Ford would correct these issues before I purchase my next car. The CMAX is way more comfortable than a Toyota Prius which would be my other choice.

#67 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,023 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

I wish I could get 37K miles. I've replaced it twice since July which was about 10K miles. I'm thankful that we bought an extended service warranty but really don't think I should have to pay $100 every time this obviously defective part fails. I've found that overall the CMAX is a bad choice for Minnesota winter driving. The chassis is too low which results in ice build up in the under carriage. I asked about this when I purchased the car and was assured it was not a problem. Trust me, it is a big problem! There are so many other things that I like about this vehicle that I wish Ford would correct these issues before I purchase my next car. The CMAX is way more comfortable than a Toyota Prius which would be my other choice.

Are you talking about snow in the wheel wells?  Are you using Grill Covers to keep the snow and ice out of the radiator area? :headscratch:

Paul

#68 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Ford replacement parts have a 12 month guarantee. A fix should be free if it fails within that time. I think there is generally a mileage limit as well, but check it out.

#69 OFFLINE   vitalic

vitalic

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Locationlocation
  • Current Vehicle:C-max

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

Got injector failure at 124k and in 500km from home. reached home almost fine. It was look like injector was working and not time to time. Checked injector resistance - open circuit.  Could any body tell  me how to change it? Or may be some body have manufacture repair manual or scheme?

Thanks

#70 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 144 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

Looks like this is the same injector used on the 2.0L engine in Ford Focus for last 10 years or so.  To replace injectors you need to relieve fuel pressure, remove whatever is in the way, disconnect fuel line to fuel rail, unclip 4 injector power wires, unbolt fuel rail, and pull the rail, with injectors attached, away from engine.   You can take the rail with injectors to a workbench and pull the injectors off and replace them.  Then reverse.  Look for youtube video on replacing Ford Focus injectors.

Looks like besides the original Motorcraft  CM-5148 injector, "Standard" makes a clone with a lifetime warranty, around $36 at Amazon.

Good luck!

• ptjones and obob like this

#71 OFFLINE   Spitinuri

Spitinuri

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationMissouri
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:03 AM

My #1 cylinder injector failed at 166K miles.  I opted to replace all 4.  I have been lucky it looks like.

• obob likes this

#72 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,023 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:26 PM

140K miles still going strong, although 70k ICE miles.

Paul

#73 OFFLINE   smarish

smarish

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

I just had a fuel injector failure on my 2013 C-Max SEL Hybrid. It has 40,972 miles. I believe it is covered under the additional warranty I purchased when I bought the car 4-1/2 years ago.

#74 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,023 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

2013 SEL and 77k ICE miles still going strong, 154k ODO mile and still running strong. :)

Paul

Custom Search

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·