Customer Satisfaction Program 15B04

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my letter from Ford for this Program 15B04.

1.  Check 12 volt battery and replace if necessary.

2.  Update software in various modules

3.  Inspect certain wiring and repair as needed.

I have a SEL with about 27K miles and never had problems with battery.  I hope they don't screw things up with this program.

I hope I get my letter in the next three months or so, in time for the oil change.

But, as Paul says, you don't really want to fix what isn't broken (particularly with the mileage he has on his Max!).  I guess this is one of those "let's see if anyone without a battery problem NOW reports a problem after this "fix").

Our "Important Service Notice" (15B04 CSP) arrived today for our 2013 SE built mid April 2013.

I've been wondering though - we had no problem for 16 months during which time I didn't have Bluetooth turned on in my phone.  Then it got turned on for some reason and the car would go blabbing away about it it every time I got in.  Since I rarely use the phone I turned bluetooth back off.  But it was during this short period of time that it was on that the battery went "dead".  Does anyone have any evidence that the problem is related to having an active bluetooth connection when the car is turned off?  Just a crazy theory.

I've used bluetooth since I got the car - Oct 2012 - with no battery problems.  I also hook various devices into the USB port and have left them connected within the car. Never caused a problem.  

I just got the letter today.  Will have it done at the next oil change.  

According to Automatic (www.automatic.com) my MPG is 48.4 last 30 days - 43.4 MPG since Jan 1st. Car has been awesome. 

Yeah, a whole lot of us use bluetooth and have active connections when the vehicle is then turned off, so while it *could* be an issue it is unlikely to be the only one (IOW, there might be a fault in a module somewhere that then causes this, but the module isn't at fault in all vehicles obviously).

I couldn't get along without my bluetooth connections (it was one of the things that drove me to this car).

got my letter yesterday...  hav had my 2013 SEL for about a year now  26K miles.  no battery problems.

use blue tooth religiously, and keep an Ipod plugged into the usb port as well 24-7.

I'm not too inclined to take it in and sit around for a few hours to solve  a problem that has not happened...

Maybe when the airbag recall parts come in that way I can get a loaner for a day...

Inspecting wiring, etc. is probably a good thing.  One theory is that corrision of some connections might cause the battery drain problem.  My car is garaged and is rarely in wet weather.  But over time, the corrision might be at work so having someone inspect it would be a good thing.  I suspect the updating of software would be for cars that have not yet updated to current versions. 

Got my letter last week. 

It just so happens that Max experienced his first dead battery last month when my son borrowed him for a few days. :sad: So this is timely.

Max is a 2013 SE with 14,500 miles on the clock.

We use Bluetooth for the cell phone whenever we're in the car.  The only thing we plug into the USB port is a flash drive with music files.

Got my letter last week. 

It just so happens that Max experienced his first dead battery last month when my son borrowed him for a few days. :sad: So this is timely.

Max is a 2013 SE with 14,500 miles on the clock.

We use Bluetooth for the cell phone whenever we're in the car.  The only thing we plug into the USB port is a flash drive with music files.

I think the logical responds after two years would be to never let your Son borrow the car. LOL  :)

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I just took my 2013 in for an oil change and 15B04. The interesting thing is that the invoice says the battery was tested and that it failed the test and was replaced. This is on an SEL that has never had any 12v problems and I used to check battery voltage after sitting in the garage and the voltage was never low.

Other actions were to reprogram PCM, DC/DC converter, IPC, GWM, FCDIM, and clear programming DTCS. The dealer also installed protective tape on front door wiring and liftgate wiring.

I noticed changes that may have been from this update.  The radio does not continue to play after the key is out and the door is opened.  When I brake, there used to be some flashing on the recharge up arrow and now there is no flashing.

Edited by obob

I noticed changes that may have been from this update.  The radio does not continue to play after the key is out and the door is opened.  When I brake, there used to be come flashing on the recharge up arrow and now there is no flashing.

That's strange my SEL has always done that If I remember correctly. ;)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

:doh: :rant2:We took ours in for 15B04 on June 30, 2015 they also did PCM reprograming was told it was going to take 11/2 to 2 hours. well after 5 hours they said that after the testing and updating software the system wouldn't load up.  gave us a rental said it would be done the next day.  Well he called the next morning some how they burned up our instrument cluster.  they said it would be covered under the 15B04 only they said that they were back ordered but they put it on there hot sheet. Now three weeks later I call to see what was up they said no word from ford as to when they can get a new instrument cluster and he said that now he doesn't expect to get it for at least 3 months. said that ford was doing some kind of change over. I said we really would like to get our C-Max back he said he has to keep it there till the part comes in. We never really had a issue with the battery should of left well enough alone. Even with the rental they gave us its not our C-Max only getting in the 30mpg range with the rental, when we get 42 to 48mpg with our C-max our summer is over. Will think twice before taking it in on these Customer Satisfaction programs next time if we ever get it back.      vancemi

I took my C-Max in yesteday and had 15B04 and 15E03 done. It took them ALL DAY, I finally got my car back about 6 PM. I was told everything went fine and, beyond the software updates, nothing needed to be repaired or replaced.

Edited by raadsel

:doh: :rant2:We took ours in for 15B04 on June 30, 2015 they also did PCM reprograming was told it was going to take 11/2 to 2 hours. well after 5 hours they said that after the testing and updating software the system wouldn't load up.  gave us a rental said it would be done the next day.  Well he called the next morning some how they burned up our instrument cluster.  they said it would be covered under the 15B04 only they said that they were back ordered but they put it on there hot sheet. Now three weeks later I call to see what was up they said no word from ford as to when they can get a new instrument cluster and he said that now he doesn't expect to get it for at least 3 months. said that ford was doing some kind of change over. I said we really would like to get our C-Max back he said he has to keep it there till the part comes in. We never really had a issue with the battery should of left well enough alone. Even with the rental they gave us its not our C-Max only getting in the 30mpg range with the rental, when we get 42 to 48mpg with our C-max our summer is over. Will think twice before taking it in on these Customer Satisfaction programs next time if we ever get it back.      vancemi

You might want to message the ford rep for this site to see if she can help.  

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/user/1579-fordservice/

Yipes -- these last two things are *exactly* the reasons I am hesitating on taking the car in to get this done.

Don't fix what isn't broken is always a good motto, but even if nothing horrible goes wrong even taking more than an hour or so will be a *real* problem for me (since our dealership is too far away for us to drive both vehicles, which means I'm stuck there waiting).  This whole thing sounds a bit like having elective surgery done -- there is always a risk, and you need to weigh the risk versus the reward.

I don't mind NOT having it done except that this thing runs out in May, so if by some chance after that I have battery issues that would have been solved by this I'm screwed.  Sigh -- this is going to be one I'll have to think about (at the very least I think I'll wait until winter, when it will be more comfortable to wait around there all day).

4 months waiting?  Can't they get the instruments from a wrecking yard?  I bought a used wheel a year ago from NC and a tail light a few weeks ago here in VA - there should be no problem getting a used instrument cluster (or maybe you'll have to get it and take it in).  Wish we knew how they burned it up so others don't make the same mistake.

4 months waiting?  Can't they get the instruments from a wrecking yard?  I bought a used wheel a year ago from NC and a tail light a few weeks ago here in VA - there should be no problem getting a used instrument cluster (or maybe you'll have to get it and take it in).  Wish we knew how they burned it up so others don't make the same mistake.

Except this is being replaced under the CSP, which requires Ford to replace them with new parts -- particularly as it appears to have been the dealer's fault. Perhaps it is something the dealer should consider, it may be cheaper to get the used parts now and then replace them with the new (when available) than to pay for a rental car for months.

Edited by raadsel

If it isn't broke, don't fix it, I guess. Sorry to hear about your problems.  ;)

Paul