Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

12 v battery charging

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 200 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

Next time you go to the dealer ask them to make sure your car has all the 12V battery updates.  There was a customer satisfaction letter that was sent out about it but I forget the number.  I have a 2013 SEL and Ford kept telling me that my 12V battery was good but I started to have issues with the smart key not unlocking the door.  In my opinion it was worth the $200 (parts + labor) to let them do it.  The battery alone costs at least $120 on sale from Motorcraft - it was going to cost $150 on Amazon + $30 shipping so why not just let them do it considering it's hidden under the floor in the back.  I did replace the 12V battery in my Prius and the procedure is about the same, not very much fun outside in 4F weather.  So between replacing the 12V and the coin cells in the FOBs no more issue.  I had already replaced FOB battery a few months prior to having the unlock problem so I knew it wasn't that.

Hopefully you already know about the emergency key that is hidden in the FOB?  Useful if the battery dies and you can't get the car unlocked.

Edited by jestevens, 05 February 2018 - 07:31 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   kyledamron

kyledamron

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Woke up on Tuesday to a dead battery in the car. Still on the original for my 2013 with 71,600 miles. I put my booster pack on it and worked just fine since. I had problems with Sync the day before where it would not play audio or anything, so I think that drained the battery. Otherwise it seems to be working okay.

#23 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

I have had a number of dead 12V battery moments and I'm comfortable using a booster pack under the hood to start the car.  However, I want to invent a way so that I can plug the booster pack from inside the car when battery is dead (a solution for the worried wife).  I'm thinking of running a Wire (w/Fuse) from the Positive terminal of the 12V battery (under the trunk); add a ground wire and find a male adapter that would fit my booster pack.  I wonder what the fuse amperage should be for safety; and the minimum thickness (gauge) of wire I need to use.

Edited by cmax-nynj, 11 February 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

I have had a number of dead 12V battery moments and I'm comfortable using a booster pack under the hood to start the car.  However, I want to invent a way so that I can plug the booster pack from inside the car when battery is dead (a solution for the worried wife).  I'm thinking of running a Wire (w/Fuse) from the Positive terminal of the 12V battery (under the trunk); add a ground wire and find a male adapter that would fit my booster pack.  I wonder what the fuse amperage should be for safety; and the minimum thickness (gauge) of wire I need to use.

I'd use a fuse tap and plug it into a spare fuse slot or a used slot in the front or rear junction box which are hot all the time.  Now just wire up the fuse tap to a compatible plug for your jump start.   

You could make it easy for your wife by also wiring in a momentary pushbutton on the driver's side and leave the jump start connected all the time. So for a no start, one holds the pushbutton in while starting the car.

• obob likes this

#25 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 200 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

No issues since I had my battery replaced - considering it was the original battery and mine was built in May 2012 maybe some of them are genuinely reaching end of useful life?  Ford said battery was good but car was starting to act funky.

#26 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

My battery was replaced once.  It doesn't make a difference since the 12V draining is random.

• jestevens likes this

#27 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 200 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Sorry, that sucks, I was hoping that they had finally worked out the problem for the SE's..

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·