HEB Superstore

RachelnLa

We love HEB. unfortunately, it did not survive the test run in Louisiana.

Taxes on food here are at 9.5% We live close enough to the Texas border that my husband is planning grocery shopping trips to super HEB once I get my car lol. Gotta love it.

Wow, your taxes are higher than our CA taxes (9% in Los Angeles county - it was 8.25% for a short time until the low info, numnutz voters decided to up their tax rates for the CTA unions...oops...I meant to say children) but there is no taxes on unprocessed food. Sometimes I shop in the Simi Valley Costco cause I practically drive past it every day and save a little there due to their slightly lower rate in that county...it all counts to the beer. So they tax the unprocessed (fresh) food there in LA? Yeah, once you get your car, you'll probably save on the gas driving there....

Yeah but it's a republican state so its suppose to have low taxes....whats going on there? One of the reason why I picked up my Max before 2013 was to beat the tax rise and I totally agree...jumping from 8.25% to 9% is a lot of beer there...jus' sayin. 

Also we have no HEB but we have Costco...that is one place we luv to shop, especially their travel, we had such a nice rental place in the Big Island, Hawaii for dirt, dirt cheap and it included a car as well in the deal (speaking of which go check out the HI posting in my M2 thread)...especially the moon rise  ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Oh. I already saw those pis. Beautiful. Costco? That is like SAMs? Wear house stuff? Big box store? Whatever it's called. We have that here. I have a list of items we purchase there that saves money. My kids can go thru some fruits and veggies. Speaking of. I am supposed to be making my grocery list instead of checking message boards lol

IMO, over here Sams Club and Costco are pretty much the same but what I am seeing is that Sams appear to be a "low end", for example, a box of oatmeal from Sams seems like a poorer grade than the same box at Costco with no price difference. Both of them are warehouse style shopping and things are larger and in bulk. Although lately, my wife has been shopping Food-for-less which seems to have the better priced food from the same brand companies, stuff like chicken thighs with bones etc.

Texas has no taxes on most grocery items. So yeah, you can save some significant money by crossing the border. 

I like HEB. They have some of their Central Market locations in my area, but there aren't many of the superstores. When my MIL lived in Waco, I'd shop at a superstore there once in a while.They had great prices and I could buy some stuff in bulk. CM also sells some items in bulk. Wasabi peas. Just sayin'. ;-)

We have Sam's and Costco here.  I don't ever go to Costco as it is on the far north side of the city and just driving to it takes 45 min.  Not that much of a difference for Sam's. Agreed that not all is cheaper at Sam's club.  Alot of fruit is waaaay cheaper and most all of the meat is cheaper. Frozen foods you really have to price and the same with fresh veggies.

For grocery shopping we have Aldi's and I LOVE almost everything there.  I have only a few things that I won't buy there.  I can pay $50 and walk out with a cart FULL FULL of groceries.  The labels are just not name brand so they can sell it cheaper.

For grocery shopping we have Aldi's and I LOVE almost everything there.  I have only a few things that I won't buy there.  I can pay $50 and walk out with a cart FULL FULL of groceries.  The labels are just not name brand so they can sell it cheaper.

Just never buy the Winking Owl wine.   :-P