600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

going for broke tomorrow on the way to work.  Should run out if I don't chicken out????  Was hoping to get the EV miles up to 400miles, never seen that before.  Speaking of EV miles I want to ask a question which might seem stupid to allot of you.  But I'm unclear about something.  Is the EV miles shown just a number taken from the total overall miles traveled on the current tank?  In this case 628.3mi of which 397.0 where EV, Correct?

trip1_6283miles_zps383484be.jpg?t=138137

Has anyone used calibrated gas cans to see how much gas will fit in the tank when it's completely full?

My tank holds 14gal., I ran out on purpose to see how much the tank holds and luck ally across the street from Gas station and I EV over to it.  I have only run out once, but I have filled up twice with 14gal. so I was about to run out another time.

Paul

Ok ran out of gas today on the way home after driving well over 60 miles with the screen at 0 miles to empty.  Below is my screenshot for this epic event.  Pretty much knew when I ran out because all of a sudden a warning comes up to pull over when safe with as big red triangle with an exclamation point inside just like at the bottom right of my screenshot.  I was so bummed when I ran out, half way to 700miles.  Not that I thought I could make it but it would have been nice.  Now I have to do it all over again only better than the last tank so I can make it to 700miles.  It is really obvious that I have to improve my stopping and starting and get those 100% brake scores more often.  It does make a difference at the end.  First time I used my 2 gallon gas can, worked pretty good with the factory gas nozzle in the back of the cargo area.  However my gas can must not have been tight because gas leaked all over the ground.  Not too good for the environment.  Messy using that can because as remove the lid and reverse the direction of the pouring nozzle I got gas all over my hands.  Might need to bring some surgical gloves for next time.  Looking for 700+ miles on the next tank.

6515miles_zps2c6f0ac3.jpg?t=1381375079

Edited by mtb9153

Ok ran out of gas today on the way home after driving well over 60 miles with the screen at 0 miles to empty.  Below is my screenshot for this epic event.  Pretty much knew when I ran out because all of a sudden a warning comes up to pull over when safe with as big red triangle with an exclamation point inside just like at the bottom right of my screenshot.  I was so bummed when I ran out, half way to 700miles.  Not that I thought I could make it but it would have been nice.  Now I have to do it all over again only better than the last tank so I can make it to 700miles.  It is really obvious that I have to improve my stopping and starting and get those 100% brake scores more often.  It does make a difference at the end.  First time I used my 2 gallon gas can, worked pretty good with the factory gas nozzle in the back of the cargo area.  However my gas can must not have been tight because gas leaked all over the ground.  Not too good for the environment.  Messy using that can because as remove the lid and reverse the direction of the pouring nozzle I got gas all over my hands.  Might need to bring some surgical gloves for next time.  Looking for 700+ miles on the next tank.

I have to say :congrats:  and NICE Mike! So that was all BS last month that you could not break 600...huh? ;)

PS Whats your % of city driving here? It looks pretty close to my tank where, right now, I am about 50% city.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The important thing about running out is knowing how many gal. it holds. So how many gallons does it hold? BTW good job!  

Paul

YAY mtb9153!!! You sure turned things around, didn't you!?! Way to go, and way to march right up to # 3 in a hurry!! Just curious....when you filled up, how much did it hold? I haven't had the nerve to go that high yet, or that far past 0. And thanks for posting what happened. Was it still rolling when you got the warning? Could you cruise on in EV for a bit? Or did you pull over right away and fill up from your spare?

YAY mtb9153!!! You sure turned things around, didn't you!?! Way to go, and way to march right up to # 3 in a hurry!! Just curious....when you filled up, how much did it hold? I haven't had the nerve to go that high yet, or that far past 0. And thanks for posting what happened. Was it still rolling when you got the warning? Could you cruise on in EV for a bit? Or did you pull over right away and fill up from your spare?

Thanks Adair yah when Jus told me I was in third place, I couldn't believe it. I was on my way home from work and because I knew I had to be getting close to running out, I was staying in the slow lane which turned to work well. All of a sudden while driving about 45mph my screen suddenly came up with a large red triangle with an exclamation point inside while saying stop when safe. At that point I was running on battery alone. Thankfully I was watching my battery level and keeping it as close to 1/2 or 3/4 full as I could just in case I couldn't pull over quickly. As it turned out I was less than 300ft from an intersection, so I pulled off and parked. Refueled and was on my way on the 2 gallons I put in. Up at the next light their was a Chevron gas station so I filled up and it took 12.254 gallons to refill. First I thought how can that be since I ran it dry? But I forgot the gas I had just put in the tank.

So there you have my experience of running out of gas. Now I'm wondering if it was a good idea to do that since I don't want to damage the fuel pump or anything else. But I figured just this once couldn't be too bad just to see how far I could go this one tank. Now I have a baseline for future hypermiling tanks. Like the one I'm working on now, just getting started with it and I have only 60 miles so far but I'm doing everything I can to make sure I best use this tank using all the steps I've learned from Jus and others like yourself. Stay tuned I'm going for 700 on this tank. That last one was so close I could taste it at 652.1 miles, just another 40 some miles and I would have had the 700 mark. Oh we'll it's the challenge which drives us all to do this crazy hypermiling. Take care

Possibly my last entry for the season.  Not sure if I pushed if I would have gotten to 700 because it seems my gas-o-meter starts to drop off rapidly when it nears the bottom.  I definitely need to learn to drive better in town (most of my miles are highway with very generous terrain).  I am consistently going into the weekend with an estimated tank distance of 725-750.  By Monday, I am at a 685ish estimate.

(actually I did go maybe 10 miles further but I forgot to take a pic when I filled up  :doh:  )

post-1307-0-57337300-1381517723_thumb.jpg

Edited by gummizilla

Possibly my last entry for the season.  Not sure if I pushed if I would have gotten to 700 because it seems my gas-o-meter starts to drop off rapidly when it nears the bottom.  I definitely need to learn to drive better in town (most of my miles are highway with very generous terrain).  I am consistently going into the weekend with an estimated tank distance of 725-750.  By Monday, I am at a 685ish estimate.

(actually I did go maybe 10 miles further but I forgot to take a pic when I filled up  :doh:  )

We'll looks you might possibly bump me out of the 3rd spot on the 600 mile honor roll. Good job, well done

Well the air is certainly rarefied up here in the 700 mile club. :flirt:  You guys never mentioned the complimentary champagne and caviar.   :spend:  Opps, was that a secret kept from the "lowly" 600 club members?  :rtfm:         

;)  

I present to the  :judge:

null_zps296e9d8e.jpg

Booyah-Kid-300x199_zpsc0c9986b.jpg

When the car hits its stride, watch out.  I swear it knew what was going on as one of the last legs was one of my best ever; just like a world class thoroughbred thundering down the homestretch!

null_zpsa33eb9b6.jpg

Ah....Mr.Fotomoto...what were you saying about my comment on the 700+ tank in that other 50+ thread.....huh? Might have to take some of that caviar away now....ssssh ;)

:congrats:  Well done, Post #1 update - you just knocked off Matt from the top spot in the 700+ bar....seat is still warm...enjoy the view, the Playboy bunnies, cocktails and food there :drool:

PS Matt and I are hanging out in Shangri-La, its where us :airquote: former hypermilers go when we are all done with it....enjoy the GAME fellas, it only gets better - we know what we are talking about :victory:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

:congrats:  and welcome to the Club. Phew...less than 4K on the odo and you're smashing records already....a young legend hypermiler in the making :drool:

ps...that could EASILY have been a 700+ tank...next time but don't do a :airquote:  fotomoto on me now... :drop:

Might have to take some of that caviar away now....ssssh ;)

Hey, I was just getting use to the taste of that stinky stuff.   :lol2:

:congrats:  Well done, Post #1 update - you just knocked off Matt from the top spot in the 700+ bar....seat is still warm...enjoy the view, the Playboy bunnies, cocktails and food there :drool:

Getting to an 800 mile tank means 62+mpg every time.  OOF!    :headspin:    I'm not sure I want to attempt something that huge but....... you say there's bunnies, food and cocktails in the 800 lounge?  Hmm......  :shift:

PS Matt and I are hanging out in Shangri-La, its where us :airquote: former hypermilers go when we are all done with it....enjoy the GAME fellas, it only gets better - we know what we are talking about :victory:

Oh you'll be back.  I just know it!   :play:

Edited by fotomoto