600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Simply remarkable Doug!!! I'm beyond being shocked at the things you guys can accomplish! Congratulations! I'll get post 1 updated at lunchtime.

Post #1 is updated!!!  if you haven't been to Post #1 lately, go have a look at all the amazing accomplishments on that list!!! CR is talking to the WRONG people!!!

Edited by Adair

Post #1 is updated!!!  if you haven't been to Post #1 lately, go have a look at all the amazing accomplishments on that list!!! CR is talking to the WRONG people!!!

Thanks Adair.  Although it's nice to be "King of the Hill", I feel it will be very short lived.  PTjones is all ready working on a 900'er.

Looking back on my run, I sincerely feel a 1,000 tank is realistic even without aeromods.  It would take a total city run, all speeds under 45mph, every drive would need to be a long stint with a warm engine (50-75 miles min.), good weather, etc.  A true endurance run.

Edited by fotomoto

Filling up in Weatherford TX after grueling 25+ hour drive from Newnan GA with extremely supportive wife fixated on Candy Crush on her iPhone! Last fumes evaporated at 896.2, 909.4 on Garmin GPS. Will post photos when we get settled in hotel tonight. Unfortunately we drove several hours in rain in Texas as I was hoping MadMax would make it to 900!post-143-0-55308800-1383249742_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-43832400-1383249879_thumb.jpg

Edited by ptjones

it will be very short lived.  PTjones is all ready working on a 900'er.

Filling up in Weatherford TX after grueling 25+ hour drive from Newnan GA with extremely supportive wife fixated on Candy Crush on her iPhone! Last fumes evaporated at 896.2, 909.4 on Garmin GPS. 

LOL, told ya'!

You should have more favorable winds on the return so you'll get 900+ on the way back for sure!

Actually, you were pressing your luck on the way out!

Prevailing winds in the continental US are from the west, so you were traveling into the wind, on average. Quite to my surprise, you had no net elevation change; Newnan's already at 1000ft. and you start out uphill, get 45 ft. from sea level crossing the Mississippi, then climb back up to 1000ft. 

Pressing your luck in my book is driving for 25 hours. I'm only good for 8, maybe 12 in my youth.

HAve fun,

Frank

Help- I am going for the 600 mile mark, currently have 526 miles on the tank with 48.6 avg mpg, and the gauge just started showing the yellow warning.  Says I have used 10.82 gallons.

AM I right that the capacity is like 13 gallons?  If so, I should make the mark if I stay more in city driving....

Finally with A/C being off, and moderate weather, I may get to join the club!!

Great driving Wamba, you have it 'made in the shade'.  The tank is 13.5 plus a little, depending on how you filled it - assuming you filled it on level ground.  Looks like you have a good 2 - 2.5 gallons still, that should be easily 100 miles, likely 120, 130 ....  all subject to your foot, the road & weather ahead.  Stick with the 25-55 zones, easy on the AC, and easy peasy 600 to 675. 

Welcome aboard in advance !!!

PS  You have 'enough gas' to get 600 on the freeway at this point:  65-68 MPH (fair weather) =45 MPG

Edited by C-MaxSea

Great driving Wamba, you have it 'made in the shade'. The tank is 13.5 plus a little, depending on how you filled it - assuming you filled it on level ground. Looks like you have a good 2 - 2.5 gallons still, that should be easily 100 miles, likely 120, 130 .... all subject to your foot, the road & weather ahead. Stick with the 25-55 zones, easy on the AC, and easy peasy 600 to 675.

Welcome aboard in advance !!!

I agree that you have at least 2 gallons left. 600 miles should be no problem.

On my 700 mile tank, I used an indicated 12.89 gallons, but filled up with 13.937 gallons (remember, it is suppose to be a 13.5 gallon tank). Didn't run out of fuel but most people on this forum feel that using an indicated 13 gallons if safe. Also, I went almost 60 miles past where the display read "0" miles to empty.

But you can always carry some spare fuel with you.

Edited by HannahWCU

I feel the need to throw a word of caution in here. This is a *game* folks!!! Don't ever put yourself, your loved ones, or anyone else in danger just for bragging rights here. We and the *game* are jus not that important. It's not worth it to *one-up* the last guy.  Please be careful out there.

I say this because I sometimes catch myself spending too much time looking at Trip 2 stats or My View when I should be paying better attention to the world I'm driving in.

And I say this because, even tho we've never met, may never meet, I've come to care about all of you. 

Stepping down from soapbox again.

Adair, thanks for the love! I for one am not in this for oneupmanship or bragging rights. I've always been interested in aerodynamics and fuel economy. My initial interest began with modifying a 1970 Ford Pinto improving mpg from 24 to 30mpg! Gas prices had doubled from 25 to 50 cents a gal!

I was disappointed in my C-Max fuel mileage when outside temps dropped and started experimenting beginning with grill covers. From there the challenge focused on ways to further gain mpgs. I believe the majority if not all here are "testing" to determine the max fuel stretch under fairly controlled conditions. I agree that we all need to be alert at all times. Unfortunately we can't control the other drivers as Jus experienced this past week.

I look for opportunities to test my ideas as with this trip from GA to AZ with my co-pilot ready, willing and able to share in the challenge of long distance driving! Part of the fun of this Forum is exchanging stories and ideas and sharing in each other's accomplishments! Each time a new name is added on the "club" is a gold star moment!

It would appear that the gas pods and wheel covers have made a difference this trip. For the time being I'm done for now until I figure out another mod to test. Sooooo....C-Maxers....be safe and have FUN!

Edited by ptjones

Close, but no cigar!!

Found out about the accuracy of the Trip1 display vs. reality.  Had 585.6 miles, mpg of 49.1 and 11.83 gallons used. Thought it was a done deal.

BUT....the warning went from yellow, then red and then no more bars on the gas gauge, just a red line  :sad: ......with a big E by it...

Since I did not have spare gas with me, and my wife and I have a short trip to take in the morning (and she is less interested in my Cmax mileage stories......I stopped and filled up.

Was a good thing, as it took 13.00 gallons (which Fuelly computed was 45.0 mpg) rather than the 11.83.  So I learned a bit about my range  :thumbsup:  ( when the red hits, buy gas).

I reset the Trip1 and will start again.  Maybe next time.

Thanks for all the support, this Board is a great group of people with common interest in efficiency and a great car. :gold_star:

That's tuff luck Wamba, and certainly understandable to fill up.  I've had a couple 'head scratchers' also, where the difference was a little screwy.  Sometimes being on a grade can whack things out.  I have to question the accuracy of the pump too.  I suspect you were actually somewhere in between 45 and 49.  Just my 2 cents.  Your weather should be favorable for the next few months.  Great try.

Nick

Here's how I joined the club!

I had about 525 miles on a tank and my estimated miles-to-empty read about 65.  The temperature's been dropping and I can see that I lose 10mpg or more on chilly mornings.  Today was a balmy 60º in Boston (for the Red Sox victory parade, of course), so I figured this was my last chance before next spring to get the big 600 mile tank.  I went off on an old-fashioned road trip, cruising down a lightly traveled state highway (35-45 mph), watching the miles go up and the miles-to-go drop down.

With 40 miles to the goal, I got a Low Fuel Warning and the tank in the gas gauge turned yellow.  It claimed I could squeeze 37 miles out of my tank.  About 20 miles later it turned red!  I never saw that before.  I figured I might be walking the last miles as the miles-to-go dropped to 0 with 8 miles left to 600.  But I made it, to 601.2 miles, with a gas station in front of me as I stopped to take pictures.  Score!

As it turns out, there's either a lot of spare gas in the tank, or a lot of room after the gas pump clicks off.  My car took 12.878 gallons, so there was well over a half gallon of gas in the tank (or air when I finished filling it up).  There was another milestone on this trip: On the 75 mile mileage run, I got the best trip mileage of my car's life, a little over 60 mpg.  It was along the coast, so basically the same elevation from start to finish.  Those 40 mph roads are really the sweet spot for the C-Max.

I'll estimate that my 600 mile tank was about 50% city driving, 20% interstate, and 30% state highway.

post-1372-0-23529800-1383443171_thumb.jpgpost-1372-0-61139800-1383443218_thumb.jpg

Close, but no cigar!!

Found out about the accuracy of the Trip1 display vs. reality.  Had 585.6 miles, mpg of 49.1 and 11.83 gallons used. Thought it was a done deal.

BUT....the warning went from yellow, then red and then no more bars on the gas gauge, just a red line  :sad: ......with a big E by it...

Since I did not have spare gas with me, and my wife and I have a short trip to take in the morning (and she is less interested in my Cmax mileage stories......I stopped and filled up.

Was a good thing, as it took 13.00 gallons (which Fuelly computed was 45.0 mpg) rather than the 11.83.  So I learned a bit about my range  :thumbsup:  ( when the red hits, buy gas).

I reset the Trip1 and will start again.  Maybe next time.

Thanks for all the support, this Board is a great group of people with common interest in efficiency and a great car. :gold_star:

wamba2000 You would have made it, but I understand your situation, but you have to take care of family first. :)  Given your 11.8gal trip # you are good for 12.5gal trip# for a 13.5gal actual. Maybe next time. Good Luck

Paul

Well done mlaurence! Did your own victory parade, huh? Post 1 is updated!

I hear ya about losing the 10mpg in the cooler weather. I'm using all the tricks learned here, but barely making 42mpg right now..............and colder is yet to come!

Glad you made it in before the Big Chill!!!

Well done mlaurence! Did your own victory parade, huh? Post 1 is updated!

I hear ya about losing the 10mpg in the cooler weather. I'm using all the tricks learned here, but barely making 42mpg right now..............and colder is yet to come!

Glad you made it in before the Big Chill!!!

Thanks! I don't know why my photo attachments are always so tiny. And these ones are even upside-down! I feel like I'm driving the clown car. :) But at least I'm in da club. Meanwhile, some of you are hitting 800 miles or more-wow! I guess that'll be "wait til next year" from here in New England. Edited by mlaurence

Score!

As it turns out, there's either a lot of spare gas in the tank, or a lot of room after the gas pump clicks off.  My car took 12.878 gallons, so there was well over a half gallon of gas in the tank (or air when I finished filling it up).  There was another milestone on this trip: On the 75 mile mileage run, I got the best trip mileage of my car's life, a little over 60 mpg.  It was along the coast, so basically the same elevation from start to finish.  Those 40 mph roads are really the sweet spot for the C-Max.

Congrats mlaurence, well done!  Love the 75 miles & 60 MPG.  Sounds like here a bit - tough to find flattish drives for the best tanks.   Nick

I like the small images to click on - saves thread space.

Edited by C-MaxSea

Being one of the Top 10 posters of the forum I feel even worse for being left out of the clubs. :cry:  So... I just took this picture today before filling up.

IMAG0071

:puppy_kiss:

(No mods, not even extra tire pressure, do have the FE update though.  Mostly freeway driving to/from work.)

And I'm not as active on the forum as much as I used to be, but I did see your post about Maxine Jus, sorry dude.  :sad:

Edited by zhackwyatt