600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

I use actual (GPS) mileage for fuelly, but not for posting here.  With new tires  I go an extra 2.2 miles per hundred miles.  So in your case if you had new tires you were getting close to 700 miles. It is wise to carry a gas can if you are close to empty. You can't run the HVB dead, it won't let you.  On one of my record tries I run as far as the car would go in EV.  Then I put a couple of gallons in it from gas can and it started right up. Running out of gas in this car is  a non even. :) BTW remember to use the gas funnel in trunk to put gas in from a gas can. :)

Paul

So what did the battery "gauge" indicate when you ran out of Electrons?  Was there any warning that it was about to stop running on EV?  This information might be helpful this summer if I try for another record tank - I'm still predicting 1000 miles will happen!  (Unless we all get bored and loose interest.)

non event if you have a jerry can....   :)  other wise those boots were made for walkin'

For me I would be upset with myself if I didn't have a plan when I run out. Where I live it is hard to get more than a mile from a gas station. :)  BTW I have never run out of gas going uphill, only down hill or long level road. Which leads me to believe that the pickup is towards the back of tank.

So what did the battery "gauge" indicate when you ran out of Electrons?  Was there any warning that it was about to stop running on EV?  This information might be helpful this summer if I try for another record tank - I'm still predicting 1000 miles will happen!  (Unless we all get bored and loose interest.)

At the time I didn't have the code for SOC for the ScanGaugeII. ;) I do know that the motors jerk to start the ICE when the HVB is real low (23-27%SOC). Every time I have run out of gas, the ICE has started immediately, no cranking. :) 

I know it is possible to go a 1000 miles on a tank of gas, but environmental conditions have to be favorable +70*F, no strong winds(except tail winds), rain, stuck in traffic for hours and stay off the FWY's.(60+mph) .

Things that help, don't be in a hurry, aerodynamic aids(Grill Covers, Wheel covers,  wax car,50 psi tire pressure, ethanol free 91 octane or atleast 93 octane premium gas. Use Pulse and Glide when you can and coasting if you are up to it, assuming you get the opportunity.  

When my wife and I broke the record, Christmas week 2014 in Florida it took 4 days of sight seeing which makes it hard to have good conditions for that long. And we didn't, we had all the problems above and still managed to get 902.2mi.(922 actual miles). :)

Paul

Wow, that's great.

Immediately after my last fill up (topped off this time) I bumped up my tire pressure to 45 PSI and got stuck in some accident-heavy traffic 3 times this week (very common here) so I was able to bump my indicated mileage up to a 49.2 average from 47.2 or so. 

The added benefit of increased tire pressure (at least in my case) is decreased tire and road noise that I posted about having in another thread. 

Hopefully I can post back here next week with a pic of my first 600+ mile tank. 

Edited by RobMax

The Enterprise sets a new record - 825.6 miles on one tank (returning to same gas station!).

Conditions were 49 psi tires, no aero mods, 87 E0 gasoline, about 50 to 70 F temps, fair amount of mostly cross winds and about 200 to 400 pounds in car (various times).  Speeds ranged from 25 to 65 mph with most of it at 35, 40 and 45 mph.

I did a number of test runs at various speeds and got the following approximate numbers for steady driving on nearly flat roads with some winds - and quite a few stops (had to get out of peoples way!).  Of course this was all on "out of the way" country roads with very little traffic.

25 mph - 80 mpg (about a 20 mile run and a real pain!)

35 mph - 70 mpg

45 mph - 60 mpg

55 mph - 51 mpg (from past runs)

So, I'm still wondering how slow you have to go to get the maximum possible mpg (academic question of course!).

Anyway, the above number show that one could certainly get 1000 miles....maybe later this summer!

Oh yes, ran the tank out of gas running back and forth near station (enough EV to get there!).  You get a chime and the "Stop Safely Now" message.  As Paul has said, put in the gas and it starts right up like nothing ever happened.  After filling up (and going about 20 miles) the MTE read 848 miles!  The computation doesn't appear to change very fast.

Here's the proof:

gallery_656_57_27491.gif

Please update SnowStorm with the new number. Thanks!

I finally joined the club. I have a long commute and didn't want to push my luck running out of gas on the 880 South freeway, so I got gas before I drove home. 

Interesting the Trip 1 info showed I used 12.59 gallons between fill-ups, but I pumped 13.08 gallons into it today after topping off a couple weeks ago. 

600 Mile Club

I also took a shot of my mileage on the commute home, which involved plenty of under-50mph driving due to congestion. I might try to stay in the slow lane the entire drive home to see if I can push 700 miles on a tank.

Best Commute Mileage

Edited by RobMax

Assuming 13.9 gals for the tank capacity it looks like you were going to come up short 10-20 miles on 700 miles. ;)  Also assuming your Odometer is off by 2%( New Tires) that would add 14 miles, my guess around 10 miles short. That said Great Job! :yahoo:  I don't remember if you have any Aero Mods (Grill Covers, wheel covers, Gas Pods and 50 psi tire pressure), but if not and you decided to add them you could easily reach 700 miles on a tank and maybe 800 miles. :) 

Paul 

Assuming 13.9 gals for the tank capacity it looks like you were going to come up short 10-20 miles on 700 miles. ;)  Also assuming your Odometer is off by 2%( New Tires) that would add 14 miles, my guess around 10 miles short. That said Great Job! :yahoo:  I don't remember if you have any Aero Mods (Grill Covers, wheel covers, Gas Pods and 50 psi tire pressure), but if not and you decided to add them you could easily reach 700 miles on a tank and maybe 800 miles. :)

Paul 

I forgot to add my specifics. I am running 45 PSI on what look like the original tires with 45k on 'em. She's just a plain old SE Hybrid without any aero mods. I may bump the tires up to 50 PSI if the ride doesn't suffer too much (horrible pot-holed roads and freeways out here) and see what other MPG improvements I can make with lower commute speeds. I'll try for 700 miles on my next fill-up, and maybe take a small gas can when I'm close to empty so I have that extra security. These cars are so much fun to drive, it's like a video game in real life. The hour long commute just flies by.

Edited by RobMax

I forgot to add my specifics. I am running 45 PSI on what look like the original tires with 45k on 'em. She's just a plain old SE Hybrid without any aero mods. I may bump the tires up to 50 PSI if the ride doesn't suffer too much (horrible pot-holed roads and freeways out here) and see what other MPG improvements I can make with lower commute speeds. I'll try for 700 miles on my next fill-up, and maybe take a small gas can when I'm close to empty so I have that extra security. These cars are so much fun to drive, it's like a video game in real life. The hour long commute just flies by.

You probably won't notice a difference with tire pressure in ride quality. Good Idea about gas can, I also put in large trash bag to keep the smell down. Don't forget Gas Tank Funnel is in the back, drivers side under cover, you will need it if you run out. :)  I agree with you on the video game, makes time go by faster. LOL

Paul

Oh yeah, good call on the funnel. I never checked for it before buying it last month.

I'll inflate to 50psi when I get home tonight and see if it's livable on our bay area roads the next few days. 

Going from 40 to 45 PSI bumped me up a couple MPG from 45 to 47, so hoping I can get another 1 or 2 out of it with another 5 PSI. 

Oh yeah, good call on the funnel. I never checked for it before buying it last month.

I'll inflate to 50psi when I get home tonight and see if it's livable on our bay area roads the next few days. 

Going from 40 to 45 PSI bumped me up a couple MPG from 45 to 47, so hoping I can get another 1 or 2 out of it with another 5 PSI. 

LOL :)  That would be more than I would expect, maybe one.  Grill Covers are worth 2-4 mpg and wheel covers around 2 mpg. Also for every 10*F rise in temp you get +2mpg if you don't have to use A/C. :)  :shift:  Happy Gaming 

Paul

• 1 month later...

post-2745-0-64879700-1464190898_thumb.jpg

After giving up on ever joining the 600+ Club, My best was 585 before chickening out in my 2014 SE. 

I had a nice surprise recently. A new gas station opened up near by that offered E0 gas. This is my second E0 tank.  Remembering that it usually takes the Max one tank full to adjust to a new fuel mixture.  I didn't bother to reset my trip meter, big mistake, I think this may very well be my second 600-mile tank or close to it, so no pic, can't prove it. 

The car really behaved differently on the first tank. It run quieter, and not as hard on the trip home from the station. I normally run shell or bp.....

I normally run 475 to 525 before topping off the tank under normal driving conditions. Top speeds, heat, AC, etc..... 35 to 50 surface streets and 65 to 70 mph highway. I avg about 43 mpg last summer... Better than avg so I was happy. 

This tank I turned off the heated seat, pulsed the A/C, when I could remember to turn it off, Avg my speed 35 to 45 surface streets, and 55 to  60 highway. 

Driving conditions are about 30% surface street and 70% expressway.... Hilly, ......with the odd side trip from time to time.

This tank could have probably been better, way better.  Leaving the AC on longer, idling in the parking lot. during lunch... about half a gallon there.. rainy days,  the cruise control being flakey, I really need to get that fixed, and here is the real kicker.... I will admit to being lazy.... I didn't check the tire pressure on this tank, until after this pic .. and a quarter way into my 3ed tank.... I haven't checked the tire pressure in some time. It was down to 36 psi on the driver tire and 35 psi on all the others. That has now been corrected with a noted difference after the first trip. It will translate on the 4th tank. I have no idea if this will have any effect, but I'm on 7k past the last oil chance. 

No mods, I have no interest in a 700-mile tank, even if I think I could do it if I drove 45 mph all the time. After a 40-mile road trip at 45 mph. I Avg 59.5 mpg on the under inflated tires. 

I'll try to answer any questions.... 

Anticipated 3ed tank results... 630ish.. tank moniter says about 670... We all now the computer is not the best 

Well, I got 50.7 on my all hybrid trip in town this morning. I forgot to plug in my C-Max Energi (oops, I was tired). So I think I could make 600.

One of these days I might try an entire tank that way, especially if electricity keeps going up in price.

Not completely fair, since the Energi is not restricted and can store more energy on down hill. But my town driving is pretty flat.

attachicon.gifDSC_1520.JPG

After giving up on ever joining the 600+ Club, My best was 585 before chickening out in my 2014 SE. 

I had a nice surprise recently. A new gas station opened up near by that offered E0 gas. This is my second E0 tank.  Remembering that it usually takes the Max one tank full to adjust to a new fuel mixture.  I didn't bother to reset my trip meter, big mistake, I think this may very well be my second 600-mile tank or close to it, so no pic, can't prove it. 

The car really behaved differently on the first tank. It run quieter, and not as hard on the trip home from the station. I normally run shell or bp.....

I normally run 475 to 525 before topping off the tank under normal driving conditions. Top speeds, heat, AC, etc..... 35 to 50 surface streets and 65 to 70 mph highway. I avg about 43 mpg last summer... Better than avg so I was happy. 

This tank I turned off the heated seat, pulsed the A/C, when I could remember to turn it off, Avg my speed 35 to 45 surface streets, and 55 to  60 highway. 

Driving conditions are about 30% surface street and 70% expressway.... Hilly, ......with the odd side trip from time to time.

This tank could have probably been better, way better.  Leaving the AC on longer, idling in the parking lot. during lunch... about half a gallon there.. rainy days,  the cruise control being flakey, I really need to get that fixed, and here is the real kicker.... I will admit to being lazy.... I didn't check the tire pressure on this tank, until after this pic .. and a quarter way into my 3ed tank.... I haven't checked the tire pressure in some time. It was down to 36 psi on the driver tire and 35 psi on all the others. That has now been corrected with a noted difference after the first trip. It will translate on the 4th tank. I have no idea if this will have any effect, but I'm on 7k past the last oil chance. 

No mods, I have no interest in a 700-mile tank, even if I think I could do it if I drove 45 mph all the time. After a 40-mile road trip at 45 mph. I Avg 59.5 mpg on the under inflated tires. 

I'll try to answer any questions.... 

Anticipated 3ed tank results... 630ish.. tank moniter says about 670... We all now the computer is not the best 

It looks like you could get 700 miles on a tank. Great Job. :yahoo:  Put 50 psi in the tires. :)

Paul

Congratz Edward !!!  Looks like you could 'climb the board' with more 600+ tanks.  As Paul says, shoot some air in those tires.  The ride at 45-48 psi is great (have not tried 50, I'm sure it is fine as well).

Sure wish I had a good E0 opportunity.  We get 'points' for our groceries, so I'm stuck with Kroger gas, whatever that is.  I do not think it is as good as some other brands.

Nick

Congratz Edward !!!  Looks like you could 'climb the board' with more 600+ tanks.  As Paul says, shoot some air in those tires.  The ride at 45-48 psi is great (have not tried 50, I'm sure it is fine as well).

Sure wish I had a good E0 opportunity.  We get 'points' for our groceries, so I'm stuck with Kroger gas, whatever that is.  I do not think it is as good as some other brands.

Nick

I now have two stations with E0 87. The Price is about the same is E10 89.... about 20 cents more a gallon.  I'm almost done with my 3ed tank. It's going to be better than expected. I had two unexpected trips that drove the number up, but nowhere close to 700. 

Question on Tire Inflation.  How drastically is the stoping distance changed, especially on wet roads when you over inflate... 45, 50 etc....

It should be better in rain with slightly smaller contact patch area so more pounds per square inches to push the water away.  With my experience of not hitting a deer, I don't see how the stopping distance could be shorter.(Stopping on a dime)(50psi). :)

Paul