Wheels making noise when first driving Cmax!

Degrandbob

I own a 2017 Cmax Hybrid with only 19,000 miles, but have noticed a noise that coincides with the motion of my wheels at very low speed after not driving it for 2-3 days. (I'm retired) Once I leave the subdivision and drive onto the highway...it goes away. Does that noise coincide with any functions that involve it being a hybrid? I had the car recently aligned and tires rotated, but the sound continues.  Any thoughts?

Could be rust on the brakes since they don't get used much (regenerative braking doing it instead).  I tend to hear it after the car has gotten wet and been sitting for a while as well. 

We have 2 CMaxs (2016 & a 2017, both bought used in 2018 and 2020) and they both make a scrapping sound when moving slowly with the windows open.  I tend to view anything both cars do as 'normal' and don't worry about it. 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, C-MaxA2 said:

Could be rust on the brakes since they don't get used much (regenerative braking doing it instead).  I tend to hear it after the car has gotten wet and been sitting for a while as well. 

We have 2 CMaxs (2016 & a 2017, both bought used in 2018 and 2020) and they both make a scrapping sound when moving slowly with the windows open.  I tend to view anything both cars do as 'normal' and don't worry about it. 

Glad to hear your input! 

Edited by Degrandbob

On 9/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, C-MaxA2 said:

Thanks!

On 9/5/2021 at 1:44 PM, C-MaxA2 said:

To the OP, if the sound you're hearing (you never described the sound) is a scuffing noise, it's the rear brakes as described in the post quoted here. A couple of things you can try: when first starting out, when it's safe to do so, allow yourself to do a couple of hard, sudden stops to work the brakes. Second, when safe to do so, at a low speed apply the parking brake (it uses the rear brakes only) and allow it to stop the car.

Both of these will help scrape off the rust described by the poster. 

If your car tends to set for a few days at a time (you mentioned you're retired), the brakes will be more prone to this surface rust than if it's driven on a daily basis.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, 62Lincoln said:

To the OP, if the sound you're hearing (you never described the sound) is a scuffing noise, it's the rear brakes as described in the post quoted here. A couple of things you can try: when first starting out, when it's safe to do so, allow yourself to do a couple of hard, sudden stops to work the brakes. Second, when safe to do so, at a low speed apply the parking brake (it uses the rear brakes only) and allow it to stop the car.

Both of these will help scrape off the rust described by the poster. 

If your car tends to set for a few days at a time (you mentioned you're retired), the brakes will be more prone to this surface rust than if it's driven on a daily basis.

I will try the hard sudden stops a couple times as you suggested. The sound is not whining or squealing. It could be described as "scuffing" or 'dragging' and increases and decreases with the motion of the car. It cannot be heard outside the vehicle with the Windows down. Of course, the sound inside comes only from the rear! I appreciate your response and will try the brake suggestion tomorrow!

On 9/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, Degrandbob said:

I will try the hard sudden stops a couple times as you suggested. The sound is not whining or squealing. It could be described as "scuffing" or 'dragging' and increases and decreases with the motion of the car. It cannot be heard outside the vehicle with the Windows down. Of course, the sound inside comes only from the rear! I appreciate your response and will try the brake suggestion tomorrow!

Your description fits with the brake idea - be sure to check that no one is behind you when you apply the brakes! Good luck!