Regen when foot is off the gas

jamescsmith968

I took my car in for a 2 recalls and an AC issue. When I picked it up on Saturday after hours, I noticed that my leaf screen was totally reset to a blank screen. Then as I started driving I noticed that when I take my foot off the gas the battery regen kicks in as if I am pressing the brakes. It never did this before it went in the shop, but the receipt also doesn’t mention any kind of software update. Did they do something I need to be aware of and return, or was this an update they didn’t tell me about? Thanks in advance!

update: going out this morning it looks like the car is no longer regening with foot off the gas, now the cruise does not cut off when pressing the brake pedal until I slow down about 20 mph from set mph at or around 55. 

Edited by jamescsmith968

1) Verify you didn't accidentally put it in L. This will add heavy regen when letting off the gas. Driving in D, it will still do SOME regen off-throttle but it is more like a low level regen with a feel similar to a traditional automatic vehicle.

2) Check and see if your brake lights work as well. When you brake normally, do you get the little spinning circle on the dash over the battery gauge still? If either of these are a no, sounds like something with the brake switch that you should get checked out.

Also, what do you mean by the leaf screen was reset to a blank screen? Can you possibly get a picture of that and post it here?

On 7/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, cr08 said:

1) Verify you didn't accidentally put it in L. This will add heavy regen when letting off the gas. Driving in D, it will still do SOME regen off-throttle but it is more like a low level regen with a feel similar to a traditional automatic vehicle.

2) Check and see if your brake lights work as well. When you brake normally, do you get the little spinning circle on the dash over the battery gauge still? If either of these are a no, sounds like something with the brake switch that you should get checked out.

Also, what do you mean by the leaf screen was reset to a blank screen? Can you possibly get a picture of that and post it here?

I was driving in D, definitely made sure of that. The regen does spin when I brake but NOW no longer regens when letting off the gas. But cruise control won’t cut off until I’ve slowed down quite a bit, and then it’s almost like I’ve slammed on brakes because the engine is still pushing to drive while I’m on the brakes. The leaf efficiency screen was full of leaves when I dropped it off. But when I picked it up there was not a single leaf there, and no gas was missing. So it’s not like they took it to the drag strip and the efficiency went down naturally. It’s like they cleared it some how. 

I have a 2017 C-Max Energi. 

My memory is that I only see leaves when the gasoline engine has been engaged during the trip. When I drive on electricity only, I don't see leaves.

My display almost always shows regen when coasting. The only time that it didn't was during a rainstorm when the road surface was wet. My vague memory was that tapping the brake pedal would get the car to show regen again.

You should have a button on the shifter that engages "Hill Descent" mode, an elevated level of regen when driving down a grade. Mine would max out (35kW) on a steep hill, then go into engine brake mode, aka "jake" brake, which is very loud, but intended operation, nonetheless. 

I still warn against using engine breaking - ever!  I can't prove it but I'm still suspicious that some problem (software?) surrounding its use trashed my transmission.  Anyway, I hardly see the point of having the ICE screaming along at 3-4k rpm just to save the brakes for a few seconds.

Edited by SnowStorm

On 7/21/2022 at 7:06 AM, SnowStorm said:

I still warn against using engine breaking - ever!  I can't prove it but I'm still suspicious that some problem (software?) surrounding its use trashed my transmission.  Anyway, I hardly see the point of having the ICE screaming along at 3-4k rpm just to save the brakes for a few seconds.

I never changed the brake pads with 273k mi., I agree with you if your HVB is full use the brakes.

Paul

Hi James,

I am having the same exact problem after taking my car into the dealer for state inspection and oil change. It is charging/discharging the opposite of when it should. My leaves were also gone. Have you learned what happened to cause this discharging of the hybrid battery? Have you been able to correct it?  My car, 2013 SEL 78,000 miles, was fine before this. 

Edited by Fiona

On 7/21/2022 at 7:06 AM, SnowStorm said:

I never changed the brake pads with 273k mi., I agree with you if your HVB is full use the brakes.

Paul

On 7/22/2022 at 8:09 AM, Fiona said:

Hi James,

I am having the same exact problem after taking my car into the dealer for state inspection and oil change. It is charging/discharging the opposite of when it should. My leaves were also gone. Have you learned what happened to cause this discharging of the hybrid battery? Have you been able to correct it?  My car, 2013 SEL 78,000 miles, was fine before this. 

Did they do an up data on your ECM?

Paul

On 7/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, ptjones said:

Did they do an up data on your ECM?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have no idea about the ECM. Nothing on the service order/receipt indicates that. Inspect & oil change. This problem has not occurred before.  It has not gotten worse, but still charging/discharging at wrong times.  Will ask the service shop. ?