I'm mad

Gandor

I feel for you.  We try to park (with most of our newer cars) far out in the parking lots close to the curb of an island.  Sometimes that's not practicable though.  

I was fairly lucky with my 2009 Jetta TDI that I traded in.  In about 40 k miles no dings.   But in the next 30 k miles we had 2 small door dents like you are describing and one scratch from a shopping cart on the rear bumper.  Guess what, we quite being diligent about parking away from other cars. 

Moral of the story - park far and walk a little further. They have "compact" spaces here and its the worse. Sometimes I will park 2 just to keep the buttheads away especially in parking lots with a lot of older cars around with dings et al. Check out the parking lots and area and park away or in corners if you think its a low end - trust me when an AMG is parked next to you- he has no wish to ding your door. Sorry to see about your ding. 

I remember that this was a great Jenny Craig tip.  Every step counts!

Heh. I have a Fitbit and think the same thing.

Unfortunately, those carts go everywhere. I got a ding just driving into the lot because it was windy and someone didn't put their cart away.

Think I'll walk to the store today, though. It's gorgeous weather and I need to burn off my dinner early. ;-)

At the office we have a 4 1/2 level parking structure.  The 'basement' half level and 1 and 2 are always full.  Up on 3 about half of the spaces are mostly empty.  In the empty section (farthest from the stairs) is where you see all the cars without license plates.  By some unspoken rule, the 'regulars' park every other space.   Just about once a week somebody will park next to somebody else, but it is always a visitor/transient parking next to one of the regulars.

I'm just waiting for my first encounter with a runaway cart at the grocery store. Don't get me started on people who don't use the cart corral.

My wife was driving ours today and was manuvering for the perfect parking place when a Safeway employee moving about six carts appears and the first cart pulled away from the train and went pass us about 3' away and she started running to get it and abandoned the other carts and they went roaring by us about SIX INCHES away.  We bought the C-MAX 8 days ago.  Close call.  Too close.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just waiting for my first encounter with a runaway cart at the grocery store. Don't get me started on people who don't use the cart corral.

When my Jeep Liberty was barely 6 months old (11 years ago) I was T-boned in a grocery store parking lot by a cart being driven my 50 MPH wind gusts. Did $700 in damages. I contacted the store, the corporate offices, anyone I could think of but they  smugly pointed to the sign above the cart corral that says they are not responsible by damages done........blah, blah, blah. So, I took my $1,000/month grocery business to another store and took a few friends with me.

. Sometimes I will park 2 just to keep the buttheads away especially in parking lots with a lot of older cars around with dings et al.

From what I've seen, taking 2 spaces is like a magnet for people to mess with your car. Everybody is going to notice.  They will still park right up on you, key your car, leave nasty notes, etc.  

Best just to park far away and hope someone doesn't try to park right up on you anyway. 

Edited by Hatchman

When my Jeep Liberty was barely 6 months old (11 years ago) I was T-boned in a grocery store parking lot by a cart being driven my 50 MPH wind gusts. Did $700 in damages. I contacted the store, the corporate offices, anyone I could think of but they  smugly pointed to the sign above the cart corral that says they are not responsible by damages done........blah, blah, blah. So, I took my $1,000/month grocery business to another store and took a few friends with me.

Unfortunately, they have no way of knowing your car wasn't damaged at another location and you're trying to scam them out of the repair bill. I used to work in retail. The cheek of some customers was astounding. 

One day I saw a lady just let her cart go one windy March day. I got out of the car and to the cart just in time to keep it from slamming into the side of my car. And boy, did I let her have it. I'm generally not that type, but just not too long before that the car had been hit by a runaway cart and the guy who witnessed the incident? Well, let's just say he protested a little too much that the cart wasn't his.(I was going down the aisle of the parking lot and the cart whizzed out from between two parked cars and I had nowhere to go. SLAM. And it gets windy here in North Texas.)

From what I've seen, taking 2 spaces is like a magnet for people to mess with your car. Everybody is going to notice.  They will still park right up on you, key your car, leave nasty notes, etc.  

Best just to park far away and hope someone doesn't try to park right up on you anyway. 

Someone was parked in front of DSW the other day taking up FOUR spaces with their Tahoe. Must be nice to be that important.

My wife drives a Genesis, one day we were at a shopping area and pulled into a spot.   I saw the car next to me had a person sitting in the passenger seat, but was stopped, etc.  We turned the car off and were about to get out when the passenger door opens part way; the person who was rather large in size used her foot to push the door open further ( you know what is going to happen) and bang right into the driver side door.  No attempt to grab it or stop it.

She got out and I instantly opened my door and said "hey!" she turned around and said don't worry, it's got to get a ding sometime. Arrggh!

I responded that her car could also have to get a flat ttire sometime.  The driver ( spouse I think) said she should apologize for banging into my car.  They started arguing as they walked to the store.  I moved my vehicle to a few rows away.

Luckily, the car did not have a scratch or dent, we were lucky.  It amazes me how cavalier people can be a  out damaging others' property, but if it went the other direction would be all up in my face.

Sorry for the rant.   Hope your C-Max is ablwe to be put back into normal condition.

A lady opened her car one day on a rental I was driving and said "it's just a car" and walked off.  Good thing it was a rental and there was only minor damage they didn't notice when I turned it in.  

Somebody opened their car door on my car today, luckily it buffed out.  

Edited by Hatchman

• 3 weeks later...

A lady opened her car one day on a rental I was driving and said "it's just a car" and walked off.  Good thing it was a rental and there was only minor damage they didn't notice when I turned it in.  

Somebody opened their car door on my car today, luckily it buffed out.  

Wasn't it the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" where a young person quickly stole a parking spot and the driver of the car waiting (Kathy Bates) complained by saying "Hey, I was waiting for that spot"!  The response from the offender was something like "Face it Lady, we're younger and faster"!  Bates proceeded to ram the offending car (VW) and when the girls screamed Bates got out and said "Face it, I'm older and have better insurance"!  Didn't like the movie, loved the line!

Moral of the story.......drive a beater to the store :-D

I feel for your anguish over some idiot who in their feeble attemp to be careful did the bad deed!!  reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago with my new truck, I like a lot of folks who have said here that they like to park away from all the action, thinking that would protect their nice c-max, well my beautiful new Truck was sitting all by itself in a Walmart parking lot away from all the other cars, when we left the store as we walked towards my nice new truck I instantly saw something didn't look right, as I got closer I could see the whole passenger side was caved in !! after a closer look we could see that someone had kicked from behind like they had their hands on their own vehicle and were kicking like a mule would kick! store surveillance cams could not get a good pic as I parked so far back, police took pics and patted me on the back and that was the end of my parking far away!! Now i just park as close as posible. :baby: