Waiting In The Shenandoah

SnowStorm

Our C-Max was to be ordered today after we "signed up" at the dealer last night.  Their allocation slot was ready for ordering so maybe it will be sooner than 6-8 weeks.  Can't wait!  It will be our first hybrid.  My wife and I make 500-650 mile trips and are ready for better mileage than the RX300 and more comfort than the Fit.

We are a four driver household at present and when the oldest car came up "not worth fixing" I started a rather extensive look at non-sedan options with great fuel economy and good space and comfort.  Needless to say, the C-Max won out - and in the end, rather easily.  I would really like to have an Energi - maybe later when they figure out how to get back the lost space.  For now will be quite busy with all the info screens and trying to get the best fuel economy.  Its in my blood since my dad was always trying to get the best mileage he could.  Back in the '60s he was glad to get in the low 20s for mpg!  Now its double that.  Wow!

We ordered the SE with winter package and panoramic roof (actually like the fact that it doesn't open).  Debated some on color, considered Ice Storm quite a bit and also Sterling Gray.  Medium Light Stone interior.  So, please build it soon and build it well!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations - you have lots and lots of useful postings and threads here. And if you have any Qs, feel free to ask away.

Its funny you mention FIT, I was driving to the gym and I saw a lil Mazda 2 and wondered, how on earth can people drive those lil things and here I am in a much bigger vehicle and getting better mileage than that guy in the smaller car...gotta  :wub2: that. 

Checkout the Fuel Mileage section and get some great tips there.

Welcome aboard. This is the place to learn all about your car. Everyone here is quit knowlegable. If you can't find what you need just ask.

Virginia will be the first road trip for me in my new c max. Most of my family live in the Shenandoah valley. Can't wait to drive the low rolling hills and stop to visit everyone along the way. :)

Letter sent to Ford today:

Dear Mr. Ray Day:

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a returning Ford buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates?  Based on the advertised EPA estimates, I would have been ok with low 40's but 28-33 mpg is not even in the ballpark.  This is not an issue about EPA testing standards, but rather an issue about setting false customer expectations in order to promote sales.  Ford's "47MPG" marketing campaign tarnished what should have been the roll out of a truly remarkable vehicle, the CMAX.  Real world MPG estimates should have been promoted in the mid-30's.  No one would have questioned those numbers and the CMAX would have received the accolades it deserves.  How these MPG estimates made it through Ford corporate is beyond me!  Maybe it was the rush to go to market?

I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. For the record, during the last three years I have leased both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler.  My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus. The C-MAX is a well-built car, with extremely inflated EPA estimates.  

I respectfully request that this matter be investigated as soon as possible.  My efforts to deal with this locally and through Ford customer service have frustrated me to no end. The constant response?  "You need to learn to how to drive hybrid type of vehicle ".  Is there a difference how I drive Prius Hybrid vs. the CMAX hybrid?   I think we all know the answer to that.  I need someone at Ford to reach out to me and assist in a proactive manner so we can put this matter to rest.  I have opted not to join the class action lawsuit regarding this matter in order to explore my resolution options with Ford directly feeling this was the most honest approach to the matter.  Can I expect the same from Ford in return?

Respectfully submitted, 

Ronald Kramer
Yankee Ford Customer
South Portland, Maine

PO Box 2517
South Portland, ME 04116

Yes. Very annoying indeed. I already put him on my ignore list. Don't want to read the same thing over and over again.

I think he just have a major buyer remorse after buying the C-Max. But instead of trying to learn the car and get the most out of it or sell it and move on, he wants Ford to buy back his car and paid him for the "trouble". What a shame.

It wouldn't surprise me if he purposely get the bad mpg so that he can show the world and Ford he's getting bad mpg. That's why he has no desire to discuss or try to improve the situation.

Edited by TurtleMax

Thanks for each welcome post!  I've read a lot of topics and it is great to see that there are plenty of folks here that are enthusiastic about the C-Max and ready to provide help and encouragement.

Dealer has confirmed that car has been ordered and is on schedule but the waiting isn't getting any easier.

Thanks for each welcome post!  I've read a lot of topics and it is great to see that there are plenty of folks here that are enthusiastic about the C-Max and ready to provide help and encouragement.

Dealer has confirmed that car has been ordered and is on schedule but the waiting isn't getting any easier.

Oh, Snowstorm, many of us here feel your pain! I was one of the lucky ones. I ordered on Oct. 14 and drove my new C-Max home on Nov. 29. I really thought I'd be better with the wait than I was, but the whole *instant gratification* thing took over. When I found the *cmaxchat.com* website, things got easier. Especially when I found the site to download the window sticker, based on the VIN #. I only wish I had known about this site while I was waiting. It would have made it sooooo much more enjoyable!.

Welcome, and enjoy all of it, including the wait!

Snowstorm. The wait is very hard but it's so worth it. It's two weeks since I brought my baby home.

Stopped by my parents. Dad has a cmax also. He jokingly said he was going to buy my mom one so they could have his and hers. He said he would not order again. The wait was too hard hahahaha

I would be offended if I were SnowStorm :rockon: .

I'm trying to figure out how to block his rants.

I know you can do it just haven't found it YET.

I did give him  1 *

wab

Click your username at the top right corner of the screen and you will see "Manage Ignore Pref" as an option. Click on that and you will be taken to the ignore options. After adding a user to the list you will never see their posts again unless someone else quotes what they say. I noticed in some forums one troll will quote another so you just add both to the ignore list.

Edited by darrelld

Snowstorm.  I bought my C-Max at Harrisonburg Ford.  The C-max is really fun to drive on the Shenandoah Valley backroads where we get around 51 mpg (after breakin period).  Lower 40 mpg on the main roads.  I-81 at 70 mpg averages around 37.  And of course, colder weather impacts mpg.  By the time your C-Max arrives, the weather will be warmer which helps raise mpgs.  Our only negative has been the Nav system but Ford knows about the glitch and hopefully its upcoming update will resolve the problem.  Have fun with a great car.

In January, we drove from the top of the ridge on Rt. 33 at the border between WV and Va heading east down hill to Harrisonburg, around 22 miles, and got 99 mpg.  But I think that would be considered cheating - being down hill all the way.

Of course, driving up the mountain from Harrisonburg, we probably got around 25 mpg.

Edited by joe

Still waiting of course but could sure have used the C-Max's regen yesterday taking the mountain roller-coaster ride to the Highland Maple Festival.  Route 250 west to Monterey with approximate elevations of 1800 (North Mntn), on up to 2900, down to 2100 (Headwaters), up to 2450 (Shaw's Ridge), then 2100, back to 2700 (Bullpasture Mntn), then 2100 (McDowell), 3350 (Jack Mntn) and finally 2900 feet at Monterey - all in about 30 miles.  Just couldn't stop thinking about all that potential energy going to waste!  I'm sure it varies with slope and curves (how fast you can go) but does anyone know how much elevation drop it takes to completely recharge the battery (standard hybrid - not Energi)?

The story starts with me taking my one-year-old 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid into the dealer (Myers Ford in Elkton, VA) for service back in November just before Thanksgiving. As I was waiting I got to talking with the sales guy from whom I bought the Escape the year before. He said, "Hey, got a minute? Come on over here and let me show you something." (I know, the only time a salesman *isn't* lying is when his lips aren't moving!).

It turns out that they had a 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid SEL (all the whistles and bells) that a fellow had bought from them a couple of weeks earlier, but then decided he didn't want. He had gone over it with a super-fine-tooth comb, and discovered an ever-so-slight dimple in one of the doors. The dealership's body shop took care of it, no problem, but the fellow then said that he just couldn't keep the car since it had now been "repaired" (not a new car anymore, yada-yada-yada). I'm sure he took quite a hit in selling it back to the dealer.  So, here is this 2013 C-MAX sitting on the lot, less than 200 miles on the odometer, and the dealer is having to sell it as a 'used' car.

I had been fairly happy with my '12 Escape Hybrid over the past year, having bought it because I wanted to get something hybrid that could be towed behind a motorhome with all four wheels on the ground. It was rated at 34 mpg city / 30 mpg highway, but I never was able to get the numbers up that high.

As everyone knows, the C-MAX is rated at 47 mpg city & highway, and is really more the size of car that I need (the Escape was just a little too big). After doing some research on the web, taking it out and checking it out, and going through the proverbial haggling, we were able to come to a mutual agreement (talk about your Black Friday deals!), and I am now the proud owner of what I think will become a very popular model hybrid -- certainly giving the Prius a run for its money.

I have driven it twice from Virginia up to Northern Indiana (about 1250-1300 miles round trip), averaging ~38.4 MPG in the cold, wintry weather. (One of the trips was to get it outfitted for towing behind my RV.)  On the second trip back I spotted a fellow C-Max on US-35 in West Virginia on 1/15/13 (we gave each other a "thumbs up").  That's the only one I've seen so far.