SYNC® 3 Navigation Map Update

Ford (ford@em3893.syncnavigation.com) just sent an email note offering to update my navigation maps in my 2017 C-Max with SYNC 3. The fine print says: "The current Map version is NA 2 21." According to the display in my car, I currently have NA 1 19. It appears that I bought an upgrade in January 2022 and tried to install it. So perhaps some folks can help me out here.....

1. Since the current map in the car is NA 1 19, does that mean that my upgrade in January 2022 was not installed correctly? I did it from downloaded files.

2. Does it make sense to upgrade to NA 2 21? Ford wants $109 for a single upgrade or $199 for a five-year subscription.

Nope. Sync 3 is loaded directly onto the internal storage via USB. No more SD card. In fact no more SD card slot or A/V inputs. Just a couple USB ports. Also the maps for Sync 3 via official methods are VIN locked and you specifically need to provide that when ordering to get the proper USB key.

That said, pro tip: Cyanlabs Syn3Updater can load on the newer maps for free at least with the current NA versions... (My 2013 Sync 3 retrofit I've kept up to date this way and haven't paid a single cent). The process is a bit involved for some.

Thanks for the comments. I think I just found the answer to my question #1. I was reading the wrong date on the files: I now believe I did my last map update in August 2020, not in January 2022. If I do this, I will buy the official version. I am sure that the Cyanlabs software has been thoroughly tested and used by many but I prefer to stick with the stock SYNC 3, etc.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Thanks for the comments. I think I just found the answer to my question #1. I was reading the wrong date on the files: I now believe I did my last map update in August 2020, not in January 2022. If I do this, I will buy the official version. I am sure that the Cyanlabs software has been thoroughly tested and used by many but I prefer to stick with the stock SYNC 3, etc.

Just as an FYI, Syn3Updater just pulls down updates from Ford's own servers. It's all still official Ford files, just another way to update Sync with some side benefits as a result (including updating to Sync 3.4 which Ford officially doesn't support on our vehicles but works just fine).