Where's the Cabin Air Filter?

armoredsaint

Found the cabin air filter while under there messing with the fuses. It's the same setup as the Focus. Here's a (ridiculously long winded) video:

And here's the filter on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PJDOSS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This video was long but I installed mine without a hitch and within 5 minutes.  Thanks for this post!

After only 9,543 miles...

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_106/gallery_504_106_3585379.jpg

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_106/gallery_504_106_2165836.jpg

To be fair, I am in FL. After swapping it out, it smells great.

As an aside, I have no idea how to embed images, so link them to my gallery. Only been on here for a year.

Edited by kc1174

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I changed the cabin filter today at 22 months and 11,000 miles and glad I did as you can see. I followed Plus 3 Golfer's advice above and it was a relatively easy 10 minute job with a minimum of contortion. My old filter included the effects of a 30 minute dust storm in NM - the kind where you have to pull off the road to survive. I think I will change these once a year.  I bought a Motorcraft FP-70 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PJDOSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the flexible fuse box cover after pulling the two caps off.
post-629-0-22827100-1419286339_thumb.jpg

The torx screw is here and secures the filter cover. Squeezing the two tabs about 2" up from the bottom and pulling removes it.
post-629-0-13087000-1419286369_thumb.jpg

Here's the two covers.
post-629-0-24669600-1419286370_thumb.jpg

Here's what the filter looks like. Note the foam toward the front and where the two tabs are located.
post-629-0-28413900-1419286371_thumb.jpg

Bending it on the top and bottom gets it started and it slides out.
post-629-0-42755700-1419286372_thumb.jpg

Here's a comparison and no, that's not a charcoal filter!
post-629-0-49181900-1419286374_thumb.jpg

Here it is with the sun behind it.
post-629-0-51621600-1419286375_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

• 3 months later...

I suspect Fords has worse problems with mildew just because of the HVAC operating modes they design. I am irritated that I cannot run in Defrost mode without AC - my habit on my previous car was always to, after the windows cleared, leave Defrost running with AC off, to help keep the vents dry. That is no longer an option with this vehicle. Also, Ford's "Max AC" option runs in recirculate, which I suspect most people don't realize increases moisture buildup. 

I suspect Fords has worse problems with mildew just because of the HVAC operating modes they design. I am irritated that I cannot run in Defrost mode without AC - my habit on my previous car was always to, after the windows cleared, leave Defrost running with AC off, to help keep the vents dry. That is no longer an option with this vehicle. Also, Ford's "Max AC" option runs in recirculate, which I suspect most people don't realize increases moisture buildup. 

Every vehicle I've had for the past 12 years has run the A/C compressor when the defrost is used. Some of them allowed you to turn off the A/C light, but the compressor still ran.

I believe you can achieve max A/C by simply putting the temperature to LO, fan to maximum, and turning off the recirculation. You don't have to use the actual MAX A/C button.

Same here, the past several new cars I've had(I'm an every 2 or 3 years guy) regardless of make, has turned on the AC compressor when the defrosters were on. They may or may not turn on the AC light, but the compressor was running - I could feel the change in the engine, and would also notice that the air from the vents got cooler even though I hadn't changed the temperature setting.

We must drive in dust free air in AZ or something!  I just checked the cabin filter after 23K miles - PITA to get to and even more of a PITA to wriggle out of it's hiding place.  My filter was clean enough to merely blow off with an air gun and re-install.  I will plan to have a new filter on hand and replace it at ~ 50K miles.  We live in the suburbs of Phoenix, so maybe the air here is a little cleaner than in the city?  Also, we drive up and back to the AZ White Mountains on weekends for ~ 1/2 the year; the air up there has to be cleaner, plus we don't need to use AC up there, since it is 30 degrees cooler than Phoenix.  BTW, I checked the filter on my '12 Lacrosse - a little dirtier than the C-Max, but still more than clean enough to blow off and re-install at 44K miles.  The Lacrosse filter is a little easier to get at, and MUCH easier to remove - I had to drop the glove box a-la-C-max, but then I just moved the filter cover down and pulled the filter straight back towards the trunk...no double helix maneuvers on the Buick!  Also, I noticed the Lacrosse has a carbon filter - either carbon/particulate or particulate (only) filters are available for replacement.  The C-Max had a particulate filter, and that seems to be all that is available.  Maybe the required twisting to remove/install eliminates the possibility of a carbon filter.  That's too bad, because I have noticed that the Buick filters out even smelly diesel exhaust fumes from a car or truck ahead of me.

I changed mine this morning. Thanks to the pics posted by ArizonaEnergi, the job was easy and took about 10 minutes. Not the easiest install and I guess I just have to believe the filter straightened itself out once I got it in. After 13 months, the filter was gray and a little darker in spots and probably could have gone another 6-8 months, but it's a relatively cheap replacement to ensure clean air.

Edited by timwil56

• 1 month later...

Finally replaced mine. Before and after, after 22k miles. 

You do have to contort it to get it in... but you can tell from how the old one bounces-back that the new one will spring back into place after you shove it in. 

r4UG1pC.jpg

Edit: I notice that the dust pattern is the same on ArizonaEnergi's and mine. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Hardly, we're past 68k with the original (IIRC!).  Don't know what it looks like - can't see it!  Changed the engine filter awhile back and it was so clean even the dealer said I should put it back in!  Of course for the cabin I mostly use "Recirc" - there's not much air outside of The Enterprise!

Hardly, we're past 68k with the original (IIRC!).  Don't know what it looks like - can't see it!  Changed the engine filter awhile back and it was so clean even the dealer said I should put it back in!  Of course for the cabin I mostly use "Recirc" - there's not much air outside of The Enterprise!

I'd imagine that makes a big difference. I almost always leave the fan on at about half-speed (in retrospect I wish I'd gotten a fully manual HVAC...) set to outside air. 

When I was at Ford last week I asked how much parts and labor was and was told it was $90 dollars.

It's personal preference whether that's worth it to you. The first time took me 25 minutes, the Motorcraft filter is $15 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FP-70-Cabin-Air-Filter/dp/B008PJDOSS

It comes with same-day delivery for me in San Diego on Prime.