Free First Oil Change

fotomoto

So my dealer offered a free first oil change at 3,000 miles by their separate Express Lane facility which is open to all makes.  Well since this isn't my first rodeo, I'm know everything comes at a cost so I was hesitant but decided to give them a shot as I was all ready at 3,600 in six weeks of ownership.

I was adamant with the service writer about using synthetic and not that mystery stuff that comes from the hose in the ceiling   :nonono: and he said they'd use whatever the OM calls for.  Knowing that it stipulates syn, I was somewhat satisfied with his answer.  Going into the waiting room, I was pleasantly surprised to see several flat screen tv's showing each service bay so I could watch.   But the best surprise of all was seeing them put in bottled Mobil One 5w20 synthetic!   :happy feet:  :happy feet:  :happy feet:    It took nearly 40 minutes from drive in to drive it out so it did cost me some time and they handed my a "bill" for $73!!! which I didn't have to pay.  No way I'll go back at those rates because I change my own for about $30-35. 

I will use this till 10,000 and then I'm thinking of going to their 0w20.  Mobil does recommend it for the C-Max and by then the ICE should be pretty well broken in.  This is from their website:  

spacer.gif Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy
Also consider Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy, an advanced full synthetic motor oil, for vehicles where a SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and a potential 2% fuel economy improvement based on a comparison versus those grades most commonly used. Actual fuel economy improvement is dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity.

I'm a big Mobil 1 fan as I worked at the lab where it was invented.  My dealer provides free maintenance for life as part of their "Desert Protection" rip-off package included in the purchase price, but don't intend to take it in until the Information Display tells me to, and I'm hoping for 10,000 miles.

Does anyone know if the original oil is dino or syn?  It would be good to know should I have to add some before the first oil change.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I will use this till 10,000 and then I'm thinking of going to their 0w20.  Mobil does recommend it for the C-Max and by then the ICE should be pretty well broken in.  

Fotomoto, I'm also a fan of Mobil 1 0w-20, having used it for several years in all my vehicles.  I don't think it's classed as an extended service oil (i.e., 10,000 miles 'twixt changes), but I was wondering if 5,000 changes might be suitable with our hybrids.   

Good questions one and all.  I'm not sure what the original oil is but considering the first change is one year or 10K miles, I'd assume it's synthetic but you know what they say about assuming.  My volt did come with syn. and had a TWO YEAR time frame for the first oil change so the manufacturers are comfortable with going with longer periods.  My 2010 prius also had a 10k interval.  FWIW

This oil will have approx. 7,000 miles when I change it (unless the monitor says otherwise) and I plan to send it in to blackstone for a report.  I've been using mobil 1 syn. at 10k intervals and haven't heard/seen anything negative analysis's  with it.  There is the extended performance 5w20 with 15k intervals for those who prefer that.

I forgot about the oil monitor and its reset so thanks for brining that up.

There is an advantage to more frequent oil changes, but it is to your mechanic, not you. This is especially true for hybrids. Our engines do start and stop more often, but they do it in a much cleaner fashion than in a standard car, so the leading source of engine schmutz is not there. Also the engine only runs about half the time (give or take) or even less for the Energi. The recommended interval on my '02 Prius is 7,500 miles. I have horgotten more than a few times and brought it in at around 10K and the oil never looked dirty like on a regular car. My Prius has over 200K miles on it now and runs as good as new, so it is safe to say that following the oil life monitor and other manufacturer's recommendations will be sufficient to protect the ICE in the Max. That is double true for Mobil One or similar synthetic.

Oh goody another "You need to change you oil EVERY day"  no no  "Just wait till the idiot light COMES on" thread.

Personally I'm having to rethink when I change my oil.

I've been changing oil/filter every 7K miles with synthetic for years.

But with Ford recommending we change our oil with only 6K miles on the ICE...hhmmmm

Oh goody another "You need to change you oil EVERY day"  no no  "Just wait till the idiot light COMES on" thread.

Personally I'm having to rethink when I change my oil.

I've been changing oil/filter every 7K miles with synthetic for years.

But with Ford recommending we change our oil with only 6K miles on the ICE...hhmmmm

Where are you hearing this?  From the manual...

C-MAX full hybrid vehicles are equipped with an information display
which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up
to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers)

Where are you hearing this?  From the manual...

I think wab is referring to the accumulation of EV miles over a 10K period and then subtracting that amount for true ICE miles.   For instance when I traded my Volt in, it had nearly 10k miles yet the ICE had only run for about 1k of those and the oil monitor was still at 90%. 10K synthetic oil change intervals on a hybrid is comparable to 5k intervals for a non-hybrid.

That's it.

I'm going to have to keep better records for oil changes.

I also DO NOT trust "idiot lights." Or the "I$10$" behind the wheel.

A friends wife killed her motor "I just knew I could make it home."

He had it rebuilt.

YEP you guessed it.

"I just knew I could make it home."

The repair shop did a good job on the motor but ooppss forgot to repair the radiator.

I believe the car comes with semi-synthetic.  That's what I plan on using.

•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Premium Synthetic Blend
Motor Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Full Synthetic Motor Oil
(US)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Super Premium Motor Oil
(Canada)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Synthetic Motor Oil
(Canada)