Interesting Customer review

homestead

But, if this is real, it is really interesting.

First, it's amazing that a dealer would buy it back after only 1,000 miles. Everyone else has just gotten the "needs more break-in", "you're an idiot and can't drive a hybrid", "it's too cold", etc stories. Soon it will be "it's too hot, don't use your AC so much"

Second, there may be some truth to this. On this forum there are multiple reports (mostly recently) of new owners getting great mileage off the first tank and only improving after that. Others, like me, can't break 40 no matter how dorky I drive. And, mine spent from 2500 to 4000 odo miles in the south with mild temperatures.

Did something change between the first builds and now? Maybe. I've complained every time I've taken mine in, hoping that there is a secret fix they're not talking about. No results yet.

If the good mileage requires driving real slow and not using the heater or AC I might as well have my old '68 VW back. It got great mileage but was slow and the heater didn't work and there was no AC.

Edited by jmckinley

I sense that Ford has improved something internally with the CMaxs, just comparing my MPG experience with that I am seeing now. Right now, we are seeing a slew of high MPGs and more :happy feet: 600 Mile CMax Club Members :happy feet:  and looking at their odo, they are just starting to break in their engines. I can't recall getting these great MPGs even with my temps here in SoCal - ALL FOR THE BETTER though :rockon:  & :drool:

Whatever Ford has done (if they did it), I wish they would pass it on to the early adopters as well.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Would be nice if this was some sort of software update!

I sense that Ford has improved something internally with the CMaxs, just comparing my MPG experience with that I am seeing now. Right now, we are seeing a slew of high MPGs and more :happy feet: 600 Mile CMax Club Members :happy feet:  and looking at their odo, they are just starting to break in their engines. I can't recall getting these great MPGs even with my temps here in SoCal - ALL FOR THE BETTER though :rockon:  & :drool:

Whatever Ford has done (if they did it), I wish they would pass it on to the early adopters as well.

IIRC, we've had at least two owners have their original C-maxes totaled from accidents and get another one (hippie-mom and ?).  It would be interesting to know if they have seen any big differences.  

I was having issues with the window unrolling problem early on and Ford decided to reflash at least a portion of the internal software.  Immediately afterwards i got about 1.5 mpg increase in fuel economy.  Bought my SE in October so it was one of the early production models and the reflash took place in about January.

I was having issues with the window unrolling problem early on and Ford decided to reflash at least a portion of the internal software.  Immediately afterwards i got about 1.5 mpg increase in fuel economy.  Bought my SE in October so it was one of the early production models and the reflash took place in about January.

Did the reflash reset your lifetime mpg?  That could account for the sudden increase in mpg.

Hi Homestead.  I think it did reset the trip readouts, but not the lifetime.  I track mileage tank by tank, and noticed a change in the way the engine reacted to driving situations and the actual at the pump mileage bumped up roughly 1.5 mpg.

Charles in Oregon

600 club member

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my Cmax in May, built Sep 2012. I do not have the latest software installed (the hybrid info on MyTouch looks interesting).

I have yet to have a battery issue and on my first full tank of fuel averaged 46 mpg. I do live in MA and the weather has nice also.

I have read alot of issues blaming on early builds, not sure if this is considered under that. This is my first hybrid too.