I appreciate the friendly nature of this forum (versus other forums)

Recumpence

Hello All,

I just wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate the kind attitude I find on this forum versus other forums I have frequented (both auto and other forums).

Here is what prompted this post;

I have been doing some rooting around on various forums looking for answers to aerodynamic questions in the quest for increasing my mileage (mainly highway mileage). I have been a member on Ecomodder for a while and they are decent there (a little short with some posters, but generally OK). I have frequented other forums looking for answers as well with mixed results. One is particularly offensive------- Prius Chat!  First let me say I like the prius. I have almost purchased one on numerous occasions. I like all 3 of their itterations. I expecially like the new body style. Anyway, what I have found is, on this forum, the Prius is occasionally talked down on, but not much. We kid around a bit, but I think the majority of us appreciate any hybrid and, for me, I like all of the data gleaned by the multitude of Prius cars in use today. However, what I noticed on Priut Chat is a completely different story. They are even rude to their own Pruis owner/members. One guy asked about deleting the passenger side mirror to gain 1mpg of highway mileage. He got soundly attacked with almost 100% incorrect data.... and this is a Prius owner they were attacking! You should hear them talk about "Other" hybrid owners..........

Anyway, I know it sounds like I am doing exactly what I am complaining about. I am not bashing Priut Chat per-se. I just find that the nature of the web tends to gravitate toward this type of negativity. I have seen it in many RC forums, bike forums, and other forums that have a rude tendency to their members. But, here, there is precious little [none?] of that.

I just wanted to say thank you!

Matt

I guess a link to Adair's "Thank you" thread would be good to post here too.   :)

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2045-i-want-to-thank-you-all-for-being-here/

Done Matt! Thanks!!

Edited by Adair

Hey Matt:  you want rudeness and inconsiderate folk, just start a thread about politics or religion...

I thought about posting the same thing.  I quit being a moderator on a motorcycle forum specifically because several members wanted to open it up to such topics.  The site is now a shell of its former, popular self.  

PC has a *cough* vibrant off-topic section and the personalities/fights can't help but bleed into the on-topic section.  I would STRONGLY suggest current admin. drop our lounge sub-fourm as it will become a pandora's box.  There are plenty of places on the internet for open topic chat.  I come here to learn about the C-Max.

Hey Matt:  you want rudeness and inconsiderate folk, just start a thread about politics or religion...

John

That normally arises on the forums I frequent. Ususally it is because someone wishes the forum as a whole a "Happy" whatever day it is. Then someone gets offended. Personally, I find it odd that the issues that are most interesting in life are exactly those subjects we must not discuss. But I digress........

If I want to discuss religion I can go to another forum to do that. If I want to discuss the horrible state of our economy, there are forums for that. When I come to this forum, I want to discus the Max. Discussing other topics on this forum is like calling a pizza place to order pasta........

Matt

I came to this forum knowing only a few things about cars......how to start them, how to stop them, how to fill them, how to check the oil and the air in the tires......and how to take them for repairs. :baby:  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine being interested in doing much more than that..........until my C-MAX. :wub2:

It would have been very easy for the earlier, more knowledgable (much more!) folks here to have laughed me off the screen :hysterical: . But no one ever did. They treated my novice questions with respect and thereby encouraged me to ask more and learn more (See, it's your own fault that you are stuck with me now!)

Now I can go into my dealership and speak with some semblance of knowledge about my car.........it's empowering!  :salute:

I want to share that power with other owners!  :hi5: :I think that's what this forum is all about.  

Edited by Adair

Just want to say that this forum did play a part in my decision making re the C-Max.  Per the commercial, the info you provide collectively is priceless.  You are so helpful and courteous, and I hope that I can be that way too.  I felt a kinship in that I know that I have a decent place to go if I have some silly, crazy question re my new car (which I hope to get this week) and not get laughed off the board!

Adair posted:

"Now I can go into my dealership and speak with some semblance of knowledge about my car.........it's empowering!"

I would add that reading this board has certainly been enlightening.

Additionally, the variety of posts and posters has been engaging.

Well done JAZ!!

Adair posted:

"Now I can go into my dealership and speak with some semblance of knowledge about my car.........it's empowering!"

I would add that reading this board has certainly been enlightening.

Additionally, the variety of posts and posters has been engaging.

And below all three is MyView - which, too often, is the one we can all do without!

Seriously, I so agree with what's been said.  Let's all try and keep this forum friendly and helpful - it has certainly added a lot to owning our new C-Max!

I thought about posting the same thing.  I quit being a moderator on a motorcycle forum specifically because several members wanted to open it up to such topics.  The site is now a shell of its former, popular self.  

PC has a *cough* vibrant off-topic section and the personalities/fights can't help but bleed into the on-topic section.  I would STRONGLY suggest current admin. drop our lounge sub-fourm as it will become a pandora's box.  There are plenty of places on the internet for open topic chat.  I come here to learn about the C-Max.

I find that our "lounge" most often contains c-maxy/auto/travel posts that may not fit into other threads, rather than going toward the political/religious/banal arenas.  I would also like to say that I've been happy to be a member of this forum, and have enjoyed and appreciated the other members.  Even Jus! :)

• 2 weeks later...