Did Ford Tweak the Computer? (or is it just the weather)

Riddley

Hi folks,

Something about recent trends has me wondering if Ford might have silently tweaked the computer tuning for fuel economy in more recent production runs, or if what we are seeing reported is due only to more favorable weather.

As evidence of what I am sensing, consider recent posts from newer owners:

These are just a few of numerous examples.

Against my theory that this might be evidence of a silent efficiency tuning in later production runs, we see Jus and Recompence hovering around the 700 mile tank (+/-), which might suggest the differences we are seeing are universal, and might be due solely to more favorable weather.

I'm curious about this, but not a big fan of conspiracy theories. I also don't despair that there might have been a tweaking that might benefit future owners.

Thoughts??

Edited by Riddley

Weather, plain and simple.  I've seen it on other hybrid forums:  Prius can jump to the upper 50's, Volt battery range can double for those in cold states.  Biggest gains come from those who use HVAC the least.   I believe (don't know for certain) the C-Max is especially vulnerable to cold due to lack of some heat warmup/retention technology (grill shutters are step in the right direction).

My 2c...they tweaked it. Matt & I have well broken in CMaxs, very FE driving skills so that explains us plus my terrain has changed to valley driving which explains me. But given my odo back then I don't think my mpgs were that high and I had consistent weather here in SoCal. Don't forget Ford had a data download back in Feb at the Irvine pow-wow. I have no proof jus my gut feel & I am happy for the new CMaxs, jus don't forget us "oldies" when u start smashing the ole records, lol.

Hi folks,

Something about recent trends has me wondering if Ford might have silently tweaked the computer tuning for fuel economy in more recent production runs, or if what we are seeing reported is due only to more favorable weather.

As evidence of what I am sensing, consider recent posts from newer owners:

These are just a few of numerous examples.

Against my theory that this might be evidence of a silent efficiency tuning in later production runs, we see Jus and Recompence hovering around the 700 mile tank (+/-), which might suggest the differences we are seeing are universal, and might be due solely to more favorable weather.

I'm curious about this, but not a big fan of conspiracy theories. I also don't despair that there might have been a tweaking that might benefit future owners.

Thoughts??

I think there might be something to it.  I can't get anywhere near 48 MPG for a tank and I have over 6000 miles on it, living in Phoenix, no cold weather anymore.

If your tweaking theory is true Riddley, do you think it will spill over to the rest of us via 3.5.1?

I guess we'll know in a few weeks/months as more and more of us are updated.....if there is an upsurge in MPGs across the board.

If it is true then it may come from 3.5.1 only because they have to reprogram the PCM module for 3.5.1 to work.  MFT does not control any critical systems in the car like the hybrid system.

Just to pile on the conspiracy theory.

From the  "3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone?" thread.

May 29 2013 6132 -UPDATE – Supplement Announcement: Application Performance Upgrade 13A01 – Supplement #1

DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Application Performance Upgrade 13A01 – Supplement #1 - Certain 2012-2013 Focus Electric, 2013 C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi, and 2013 Fusion Hybrid Vehicles Equipped with MyFord Touch® - Application Performance Upgrade. Refer to FMCDealer.com.

There are a lot of early adopters in warm climates that have not experienced anything close to the early high FE results that are being reported by recent new owners, despite being relatively isolated from the weather effect.  

I think it is very unlikely that Ford would confirm any tuning changes in later production runs.

Assuming a tuning change was implemented (hypothetically), I don't think 3.5.1 will make a difference, as that is SYNC/MFT, and does not control engine functions (to my knowledge).

Analysis of available data - possibly from Fuelly - would add some weight to the theory. The way that would look would be a different efficiency curve over time for the average CMAX.  Ten or a hundred vehicles produced in late 2012 - from warm climates - would show an average efficiency curve over time that would be lower than a similar sampling for vehicles purchased more recently.   

Sync is a factory-installed, integrated in-vehicle communications and entertainment system and has nothing to do with car operations so it is not the going to effect mileage.  There are other software updates that could effect mileage but not Sync.

Just because the 3.5.1 isn't a drivetrain thing, it doesn't mean they won't tweak the drivetrain software at the same time.  They just may not remember to tell the owners.

My humble opinion is that there is no doubt later cars are doing better and it's not just the weather.

Just because the 3.5.1 isn't a drivetrain thing, it doesn't mean they won't tweak the drivetrain software at the same time.  They just may not remember to tell the owners.

My humble opinion is that there is no doubt later cars are doing better and it's not just the weather.

You took the words right out of my l'il typing fingers jmckinley!

The left side screen is the function of the drive system, right and center screens are different systems. I am not saying Ford is not updating operating systems, though.

I bought my car in early November. I had numerous 50+mpg days on my first tank. Then the weather turned cold and my mileage went to 42mpg and stayed there pretty much all winter. Now I am at 55mpg minimum every day. But, the darn winter screwed me up. My lifetime MPG is currently 45.6. My calculations are that it will be around 49mpg lifetime by summer's end. Then the winter will mess it up again.   :)

Matt

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has to be reprogrammed (using IDS software) to support MFT 3.5.1.  This was necessary to support the power consumption animation graphic.

This is probably the reason it took so long for Ford hybrid vehicles to get the MFT update.  Normally Sync updates can be done by the vehicle owner by downloading a file from syncmyride.com.

It is possible that the new PCM software has other updates not related to MFT/Sync.

I bought my car in early November. I had numerous 50+mpg days on my first tank. Then the weather turned cold and my mileage went to 42mpg and stayed there pretty much all winter. Now I am at 55mpg minimum every day. But, the darn winter screwed me up. My lifetime MPG is currently 45.6. My calculations are that it will be around 49mpg lifetime by summer's end. Then the winter will mess it up again.   :)

^  This.

If you overlay my Fuelly MPG graph with a graph showing the average temperature for the 7 months that I've owned the car, you'll see that the curves match up almost perfectly. My first 600 mile tank and my first tank average above the 47 MPG EPA estimate happened before I got the 3.5.1 upgrade. If there is any sort of tweak to the PCM from the upgrade, I haven't seen it yet.

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has to be reprogrammed (using IDS software) to support MFT 3.5.1.  This was necessary to support the power consumption animation graphic.

This is probably the reason it took so long for Ford hybrid vehicles to get the MFT update.  Normally Sync updates can be done by the vehicle owner by downloading a file from syncmyride.com.

It is possible that the new PCM software has other updates not related to MFT/Sync.

Right that was the point I was trying to get across.

For a good understanding of how the MFT can consume power train information, but not generate it take a look at this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/how-it-works-the-computer-inside-your-car

Riddley, I appreciate being thrown in with the 600 mile CMax Club but I haven't made it there yet, I only have 540 miles on the car!  I didn't think to reset the trip odometers at the dealer when I picked up the car, by the time I did reset them I had driven 37 miles, so while technically I will have driven over 600 miles on my first tank of gas the trip odometer will likely only read in the 580's...  

I am averaging 49 mpg, I was over 50 mpg for a while but it's rained pretty hard here the past several days and I haven't been getting as good mileage.

Edited by SnitGTS

Yes,

Riddley, I appreciate being thrown in with the 600 mile CMax Club but I haven't made it there yet, I only have 540 miles on the car!  I didn't think to reset the trip odometers at the dealer when I picked up the car, by the time I did reset them I had driven 37 miles, so while technically I will have driven over 600 miles on my first tank of gas the trip odometer will likely only read in the 580's...  I am averaging 49 mpg, I was over 50 mpg for a while but it's rained pretty hard here the past several days and I haven't been getting as good mileage.

Sorry for the confusion... I should have wrote that more clearly.

I've identified you as being in the set of new owners who are showing amazing FE results. The reference I made was to a post you wrote in the "600 Mile CMax Club" thread, and that you are averaging about 49 MPG - which is simply amazing to me in the first tank! I have little doubt that you will go into the 600 club very soon, based on these averages.

Edited by Riddley

his tank is suspect since his dealer filled it up and we have no idea if dealer topped it off or went to 1st click or went to overflow or not even click full (less than full to make it look full  on the dash screen. best method on initial 1st dealer fill tank is to drive 1 day (or  20 miles)  and THEN fill up next day and reset lifetime trip computer, then you go for 600 mi and you fill it up with your method knowing you did fill correctly.can't assume anything on a dealer filled tank.

Yes,

Sorry for the confusion... I should have wrote that more clearly.

I've identified you as being in the set of new owners who are showing amazing FE results. The reference I made was to a post you wrote in the "600 Mile CMax Club" thread, and that you are averaging about 49 MPG - which is simply amazing to me in the first tank! I have little doubt that you will go into the 600 club very soon, based on these averages.

Edited by salsaguy

First off don't compare the newbies here to newbies that never logged on to this forum since our Newbies have been reading all the wisdom posted and have incorporated this wisdom and coaching to get these High FE numbers. That is the first misconception since us early adaptors tried to figure out all the tricks until we found this forum.

Second, my FE numbers are on a constant rise even with A/C running on this 300 mile tank which I am at 48.3 mpg at 300 miles driven with the only change is the use of premium in this tank and so far I can say its making a BIG difference.

The BIggest difference is weather and better summer fuel grade cause my car was the first batch built and shipped Sept 10 th to my dealer and I took possession around the 20th of Sept 2013. I am scheduled to get the upgrades next week. So my FE numbers have been going way up and I could have easily had 4- 600 mile  tanks if I wanted to run my tank that low again, no thanks :) I want my fuel pump to not burn up :)