3.5.1 Update PROBLEMS

Took my car in for what was estimated to be a 1-2 hour update to 3.5.1 at 8AM June 3.  After waiting two hours they said there were problems and gave me a loaner.

As of COB June 4 it is still not resolved.  While the description of the issues are sketchy the service advisor seems to be blaming it on a faulty update feed from Ford.

When I told the Service Advisor I am scheduled to leave for a two week trip in the car starting June 6 the best he could offer is we will "try" to get the car back to you.

Took my car in for what was estimated to be a 1-2 hour update to 3.5.1 at 8AM June 3.  After waiting two hours they said there were problems and gave me a loaner.

As of COB June 4 it is still not resolved.  While the description of the issues are sketchy the service advisor seems to be blaming it on a faulty update feed from Ford.

When I told the Service Advisor I am scheduled to leave for a two week trip in the car starting June 6 the best he could offer is we will "try" to get the car back to you.

Based on this, and others comments, it appears as though the update has to take place on-line with Ford servers, versus download the file to the local dealer, then do the update.  Very disheartening if this is really the case.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers.

I got the car back this evening without the 3.5.1 update.  I was told that Ford is still working on a solution and to check when I return from my trip.

The good news is that everything seems to be working as it was before--my phone still pairs, the NAV system appears to be accurate, and the satellite radio works. 

I got the car back this evening without the 3.5.1 update.  I was told that Ford is still working on a solution and to check when I return from my trip.

The good news is that everything seems to be working as it was before--my phone still pairs, the NAV system appears to be accurate, and the satellite radio works. 

Bob999, All I can say to your comments is that is BS and it stinks big time.  But at least you still have a working system, mine is dead and non-functioonal.  I touch the screen and it gives me what ever it feels like.  I have no pairing to my iPhone5, no nav...nada!  I'm a little pissed to say the least because I'm hearing that they will call me when they get it working. yah right, could take weeks or months providing my situation doesn't just slip through the cracks.  Has been 48hours since they tried to do my update and so far I've heard nothing from the dealership.  But on the other side at least now my hack opens all the time with only one kick.

Edited by mtb9153

Bob999, All I can say to your comments is that is BS and it stinks big time.  But at least you still have a working system, mine is dead and non-functioonal.  I touch the screen and it gives me what ever it feels like.  I have no pairing to my iPhone5, no nav...nada!  I'm a little pissed to say the least because I'm hearing that they will call me when they get it working. yah right, could take weeks or months providing my situation doesn't just slip through the cracks.  Has been 48hours since they tried to do my update and so far I've heard nothing from the dealership.  But on the other side at least now my hack opens all the time with only one kick.

" I touch the screen and it gives me what ever it feels like. "

It might help a little to re-calibrate the screen???

Now it appears my regenerative braking is only working part of the time.  I noticed today on my way home that on the screen which shows braking, accel, cruising scores, the braking is not working at times.  Instead of the blue line I have a yellow line which just sits there.  Then all of a sudden it turns blue again and everything is fine until the next time it turns yellow again.  I want my car working right again and sooner than not.  But ultimately it is up to the great minds of Ford when that will be. 

I don't think the entertainment/NAV system is directly connected to the engine/drive/braking system.  Therefore I think the braking problem you are experiencing is likely unrelated to the problems with the 3.5.1 update for MFT.

Now it appears my regenerative braking is only working part of the time.  I noticed today on my way home that on the screen which shows braking, accel, cruising scores, the braking is not working at times.  Instead of the blue line I have a yellow line which just sits there.  Then all of a sudden it turns blue again and everything is fine until the next time it turns yellow again.  I want my car working right again and sooner than not.  But ultimately it is up to the great minds of Ford when that will be. 

I don't think the entertainment/NAV system is directly connected to the engine/drive/braking system.  Therefore I think the braking problem you are experiencing is likely unrelated to the problems with the 3.5.1 update for MFT.

For the hybrids, the PCM (powertrain control module) is supposed to be reprogrammed to support the 3.5.1 upgrade.  It is possible that the PCM got corrupted during the reprogramming process.

All I know is intermittently the braking score blue line is yellow and not changing but only the braking score is faulty. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my update today after receiving a letter in the mail telling me to come in. Called up at 11:30, asked to come in right away to get it done. I was told it would be 2 hours.. 2.5 hrs tops. I decided to bring my laptop to keep me company for the time. Got there at 12 pm, and went to the waiting room. I watched 2 episodes of american horror story (52 mins each), and about 20 mins of another episode. Went to check on my car, and they said it wasnt ready. Sat back down and played an hour of L4D2. Checked on my car, and still not done. The techs said there was a server problem on Ford's part because it was timing out when downloading the update. Techs also said it was stupid that they couldnt just install the update from a flash drive. They have to download it each time to the car, and be connected to the internet and 'talk' to the ford servers the entire time. I ended up leaving the dealership with my car at 4:40. 4 HOURS AND 40 MINUTES. Absolutely insane. Best part? I lost all my radio presets, all my configurations, and my nav system favorites. Then when i was re-saving my presets, on the sirius station category list, it FROZE, had a permanent loading box on it, and all the category dropdown lists had japanese symbols. Had to do ANOTHER reset on my radio, until i shut the car off and turned it on and it said 'Performing scheduled maintenance process'. Which I don't even KNOW what that means! But its fine now.. I suppose.

Theblackcmax, gee your experience makes me feel that my decision to wait another couple of months before going in for the upgrade is a good one.  I have to admit I got the giggles reading about the "Japanese symbols" that you experienced.  I think performing scheduled maintenance is optimistic Ford speak meaning your system crashed and is now re-booting.  I can't really see that any maintenance could be occurring since we aren't hooked up to anything.  We have had that black screen and scheduled maintenance come up a couple of times and it was quick and painless, but if I recall both times was after I fried the brain of the system by searching for a zillion different POI's in a short time period.  I think MFT can only take wee sips of data at a time or it has a psychotic break. LOL.

Well I haven't played with 3.5.1 really, but I just picked my car up and everything seems fine.

I had a list of stuff I wanted them to do--a couple of trim items and TSB 12-12-6: "Liftgate does not close all the way"

Dropped it off at 8:30, picked it up at 4:30, they didn't report any troubles installing anything.

I took my CMAX in this morning a 7:30 when the door opened for the upgrade.  Said it would take about two hours.  My husband took me home.  I called them a 1 PM, the guy who was handling my service was still at lunch but would call me back.  They called just before 4:00 told me it was ready. Reason it took so long was the Ford server kept crashing.   I got to the dealer, got in my car and thought I would pair my phone before I left.  I noticed the clock was saying 2:00 AM and the outside temp was 60 degrees - guess what it was really after 4:00 PM and about 90 degrees F.  So I tried to re-set the clock, and nothing would come up.

Went back in the office told them nothing was working on the touch screen.  They said they had this problem yesterday with an upgrade.  I left it there..they called my at 5:30 said it was ready.

Seems to be okay so far.  Though they killed by avg mpg in this tank of gas..was about 41 when I dropped it off this morning, and was 19 when I picked it up, no additional miles on the car so to speak.

Hope all will be great.  I do love my CMAX!

Another Ford server error? mtb had a wireless issue and according to him, they need to run a cat5 instead - what is going on here with these dealership and/or Ford servers?!? Phew, I am thankful mine was done quick and easy.

Yep, they killed me MPG big time, I gave it to them at 59 and got it back like 54/53 or something like that, ended up losing by a hair to Matt - if only I did lose that MPG....as we both broke the 750+ mark.. ;)

I think you'll like the 3.5.1 Liz - slight improvements in the speed but still slow overall imo - but far more stable from what I am able to experience to date.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax