Little Conviniences

Tien23

I'm actually a bit disappointed at the lack of driver-accessible nooks. I would like to have a little cubby hole in the dash somewhere, but there is none. I would just like someplace to put my wallet (when I have it out) or toll money or something, aside from the door or the un-organizable bottomless pit that is the center console. There's just no modern-day equivalent to an ash-tray to keep change and stuff unless you want to get something that takes away one of the cup holders. They designed the dash for appearance over function which, in my opinion, also messes with the AC vents (which mainly point towards the ceiling).

I still love the car overall, though.

+1 on that. Anybody know of any coin storage options that could fit in the door pocket? I also have to carry two sets of glasses with me: Sunglasses and reading glasses. Taking the reading glasses into restaurants for the old menu. I guess I will probably have to get a visor clip for that.

Next I need to figure out where to put tissues.

I would love to have a Wiki/suggestion list on storage besides a bag on the seat that I probably could not reach.

I purchased a Grip Pad and cut it to fit the little flat area above the Nav screen and below the CD slot. It works really well for keeping small items up there. I use it for bottle tops from my soda (so I don't lose it) and for my cigs and lighter. I also have an iOttie for my iPhone that I have on the left side of the dash for my phone. Everything else fits in the bottomless console area. Here's a link for the pad and iOttie if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Heininger-1065-CommuteMate-DashGrip/dp/B003A8D6YG

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Windshield-INCREDIBLE-BlackBerry-RotatableRotatable/dp/B007FHX9OK

Edited by FoutsNC

• 3 weeks later...
zalusky "I guess I will probably have to get a visor clip for that."

Ha ha!!  I just caught on that you mean the CAR visor.  I was picturing you in one of the plastic visor caps my mother in law used to wear on her gambling trips to Laughlin.  That memory gave me a good laugh, thanks!

Back to topic:  What is the holder on the underside of the center console door for?  Kleenex?

• 1 month later...
I like to stash my snow brush/ice scrap, bungee straps, hand towels, first aid kit, reusable shopping bags and select tools in there.   

Well, we don't usually need snow scrapes in coastal CA (Mexico is less than 2 dozen miles away), but other than that, I keep the same sort of stuff back there.

+1 on that. Anybody know of any coin storage options that could fit in the door pocket? I also have to carry two sets of glasses with me: Sunglasses and reading glasses. Taking the reading glasses into restaurants for the old menu. I guess I will probably have to get a visor clip for that.

Next I need to figure out where to put tissues.

I would love to have a Wiki/suggestion list on storage besides a bag on the seat that I probably could not reach.

No need for a visor clip -- there's a sunglasses compartment on the ceiling (the little gray dealybob in front of the rearview mirror-- it  pops open to store stuff).

Since I've had a 2013 Escape since last spring, dealing with the lack of storage has been an issue for me.  What I did to solve it:

The bottomless pit console has an indent in it to fit a soda can or water bottle.  It's true.  When the air conditioning is on, it cools the console inside.  I'm in Florida, and believe me, I will NEVER use the console for that.  :)

I went to Target and bought a plastic cup that fits in circular indent.  Inside the cup, I keep napkins, pens, pencils, scissors, plastic utensils, etc.  The cup forms a space on the sides where you can stash other items.  I have a change purse that slides right in that space between the wall and the cup.  That's where I keep my change and cables.  The slots on the underside of the console lid hold cards and stuff, but they tend to fall out.  There is a nifty hidden slot in the console under the plug-ins.  I have no idea what it is meant for, but I use it to keep a spare set of keys. 

I've never used the hidden floor storage in the back.

I then bought an organizer for the driver-side visor.  I work at a couple of places that require name tags, keys, etc.  In that visor, I have the name tags and keys.  Also a pen and a small notebook for logging mileage.

I don't tend to have drinks in the car, so I use the cup holders for my sunglasses and phone. 

There are slots beside the front seats and the door for umbrellas.  The door pockets look like they are useful, but they are not.  I'm always trying to figure out what to put there, but because it rains a lot here, whatever I put there needs to be okay with getting soaked whenever I open the door in the rain.

• 3 months later...

But for two pair of glasses, a visor clip is needed.

Every time I see those visor clips on someone's visor -- I think -- If there was an accident, you could get that clip stuck in your head !       I don't put anything (clips,pens, stick pins..)on my visor, that could get stuck in my head.

one thing I love on my 2012 Passat is that tbere is a hidden small mini glove box on the drivers side just under and to the left of the wheek. perfect size for my wallet so i don't have to leave it on the passenger seat or sit on it and hurt my back/spine.

I'm actually a bit disappointed at the lack of driver-accessible nooks. I would like to have a little cubby hole in the dash somewhere, but there is none. I would just like someplace to put my wallet (when I have it out) or toll money or something, aside from the door or the un-organizable bottomless pit that is the center console. There's just no modern-day equivalent to an ash-tray to keep change and stuff unless you want to get something that takes away one of the cup holders. They designed the dash for appearance over function which, in my opinion, also messes with the AC vents (which mainly point towards the ceiling).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you. I found putting my wallet between the parking brake and center console works when I take it out while in the car. I know it isn't a good place to leave it in the car though.

I went to Target and picked up some of the middle size plastic tumbler glasses and put the in the front door panel cup holders. It fit very tightly, I had to "click" it into place. Works for what I need them for.

I Have yet to really use the center console, I am afraid of what I might forget what I had placed in there.

post-1069-0-28521200-1370361350_thumb.jpg

Edited by KAL Cmax

I Have yet to really use the center console, I am afraid of what I might forget what I had placed in there.

The center console has a shallow cup holder meant to hold and cool a drink whenever the a/c is on.  Some are using an empty cup instead as a storage holder that's easy to get to and remove.

The center console has a shallow cup holder meant to hold and cool a drink whenever the a/c is on. Some are using an empty cup instead as a storage holder that's easy to get to and remove.

There is a shallow cup holder? If so I did not get one with mine. I am measuring 12" from bottom to the top of the center console.

post-1069-0-77201300-1370377846_thumb.jpg

Edited by KAL Cmax