Frozen system and clueless service departments

So I have had my second incident in a week of my Sync system freezing up.  Both times it has happened at the end of the day when my car had been sitting out in a sunny parking spot all day and was hot (I'm in TX).  As the car cools down, I begin to get functionality back.

Frozen screen, no volume, no bluetooth, no nothing.  This week had the screen and could navigate in it but no sound.  I can spin the dial all day and nothing.

Had it at the dealership a week ago and they had no idea what I was talking about but I got them to do a factory reset of the system.  They also took care of the recall for the lift gate.

Now here I am one week later and SYNC dies again.  I know several people have had this issue.  Has anyone had success figuring out why it is happening or how to correct it?  Took it to a second dealership last night and they acted like I was nuts.

FINALLY!!!!! Someone else with the same issue I'm experiencing.  Halla-freakin' lujah!!! ( Not that I'm wishing this on anyone else, it's just a relief that someone else knows what I'm talking about.

I have driven the car to the dealership in this state 3 times. I knew if I described it to them, they would think I was crazy. I wanted someone there to SEE it. It's always at the end of the day and no one there to run the diagnostics. Finally, this past Monday, I was able to catch it in the act at 4pm, and drove straight there. 2 hours later, and 2 phone calls to the hotline, and they told me to unSYNC my phone and drive it like that for a few days, to see if it's a phone problem. Tuesday everything was fine when I left work, and I began to think they may be right. But then on Wednesday afternoon at 6pm, SYNC failed in the same way.....no phone, radio, cd. SYNC paddle didn't work, no buttons or dials worked. I called the dealership immediately and got a phone call back this morning. They believe it's something called the APIM.....something in it is expanding because of the heat, then contracting when it cools, which is why they believe it doesn't happen in the mornings. I'm taking the car in Monday morning to have the APIM replaced. They have to tear the car apart to get the #, then order. So I won't have it back til Tuesday or Wednesday, then we'll see.

lkaldridge, here's my history with the problem, which started about April 26, when the weather started warming here in Michigan. It's been very frustrating, so believe me when I say I understand! Maybe some of the info here will be of interest to your dealership.....maybe they can pull history on my car when it's done. Just curious....I see you have an SEL.....when was yours built?

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1861-my-syncnav-has-been-taken-over-by-aliens/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2041-jellys-at-the-dealershipagain/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2208-jelly-bean-update-6813/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2236-new-droid-4/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2247-back-to-the-drawing-boardthe-saga-continues/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2314-yippee/

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's happened twice more including one time at lunch today.  Ironically it's not as hot out today.  Stopped at the store, all was fine on the way to the store.  Less than 10 minutes later I'm back in the car and nothing.  Then after a 2.5 hour drive several days ago all had been well until I was about  20 minutes away from my destination and everything just went silent.  Once I got to my destination I tried my husband's Edge and everything including satellite was working just fine.  Let it sit in the shade for about 30 minutes then back in business again.

Found a dealership in the DFW area that thinks they may have an answer.  Going to see them this afternoon.

Definitely not phone related.  I've done all the unsyncing/resyncing, etc   

I'm also going to ask about the APIM.  They told us on the phone this morning it's a module within the system that they think is the issue.  Have to see the car for an official diagnosis before they can order the part to replace it.

Who knows but ever hopefully I'll finally get this fixed or I'm going to have to high five someone.....  in the face...... with a chair!  LOL

Good luck! I've had mine back for a few days now and so far, so good. Altho it's not been hot enough for anything to happen.

Did I understand correctly that it happened once for you while you were driving? WOW, mine never did that.

I posted on another thread http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2391-got-jelly-back-this-afternoonyay/ what the work order said.

Keep us posted.

If your dealership is interested, my work was done by Briarwood Ford in Saline, MI, phone # 734.429.5478

Adair, this should be tested in the really cold as well..you know, no harm   :stirpot:

You forget, Jus, I drove it from December thru April in the FRIGID Michigan winter! It never misbehaved. That should have been test enough! (poor short term memory on his part )  :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem once it started to get hot here in Chicago. System worked fine while it was cool, but after sitting in the hot sun, NO SOUND and no control. Couldn't hear anything, no source selection, no control of the power button. System seemed to be working because the nav. displayed the correct location and you could watch the song titles change, but no sound.

Took it to the selling dealer and showed them phone video of the problem and they had it for 4 days. Replaced the APIM module. Dealer said this fixed the problem. Drove the car home and system worked. Next day after sitting in the hot sun, same problem. Drove car to my local dealer and showed them the problem.

Took car to local dealer, they had the car for 4 days and were finally able to replicate the problem. They replaced the audio control module (ACM) and returned the car to the parking lot and left it sitting in the hot sun. When I picked up the car last night the system worked fine. Re-paired my phone and everything worked.

We'll see how it works now that I have it back and can fully test it in the real world

Samszr2, thank you so much for posting this!! Mine had the APIM replaced 2 weeks ago and within 2 days it had failed again. I unpaired my phone and it still failed. I reported back to my dealership, each day for the past week that it has failed. On Wednesday they asked me to take the NAV card out. Did that on Thursday morning and at lunch it failed at 3  different starts. They are at a loss for what to try next. I copied your post and sent it to 3 SAs at the dealership, plus my salesman. Maybe this will lead them to something else to try.

Please report back after a few days of your car baking in the sun!

Thanks again!

Absolutely, Adair...just this week I tried putting a very large stainless steel colander over the center speaker/grill (after parking, of course) and both times the audio system started normally.  As you know, temps were in the 90s and that colander got so hot it couldn't be touched or held for more than a second or two.  Served to convince me that the problem is heat related, but didn't want to take it to dealer only to watch them scratch their heads.  Thanks to Samszr2 and his dealer when I go in next month for the update/recall I'll be able to point them in the right direction...I hope.

Oh, I absolutely know it's heat related. On the few cool, cloudy, rainy days a couple of weeks ago, everything was fine. But as soon as it became sunny and the temps were above 75, no SYNC in the afternoon. I just forwarded Samszr2's post to my SA. He's been discussing the problem with Ford engineers, and he wants me to bring my car in AGAIN next week for them to try some things. I hope we hear back from Sam that this fix.....fixed his problem!!!

Absolutely, Adair...just this week I tried putting a very large stainless steel colander over the center speaker/grill (after parking, of course) and both times the audio system started normally.  As you know, temps were in the 90s and that colander got so hot it couldn't be touched or held for more than a second or two.  Served to convince me that the problem is heat related, but didn't want to take it to dealer only to watch them scratch their heads.  Thanks to Samszr2 and his dealer when I go in next month for the update/recall I'll be able to point them in the right direction...I hope.

Gotta love the image of the colander in your C-Max LOL.

You know, its about time you got a HeatShield, damn better sight than a colader...lol...put some fuzzy dice over that and that might make it more visually pleasing... :bee:

Thanks SDM! Yeah, me too! We've got at least 2.5 more months of hot weather left (thank goodness!) and I'd like to be able to listen to the radio or a cd on my way home from work. Plus, I just renewed my Sirius subscription after the APIM was replaced, thinking that would fix the problem. Wonder if they will put it on hold for me til this problem is resolved. I REFUSE to wish for cold weather just to make this go away, so don't even suggest it Jus!

Edited by Adair

Here is the latest from my dealership, in response to my daily updates this week about the daily problem.....

:airquote: It looks like they want us to unhook the media center and other pieces one at a time and try and isolate the problem.  Some reports are saying that the media hub where all the stuff plugs in is the culprit.   :airquote: 

Here is the latest from my dealership, in response to my daily updates this week about the daily problem.....

:airquote: It looks like they want us to unhook the media center and other pieces one at a time and try and isolate the problem.  Some reports are saying that the media hub where all the stuff plugs in is the culprit.   :airquote: 

My dealership just called. They want me to drop the car off after work today and will have a loaner for me to drive. But the temps have cooled, and it's cloudy, so the likelihood of anything happening drops significantly. Plus, it fo' sho' won't do it if the car is indoors. But hey, they are trying, right? Maybe when they get into the gust of the media center there will be some lack of insulation (thanks Laurel!) or frayed wire, or something. 

Thanks for all your support thru this, guys! My family and co-workers are sick of hearing about it :sos:  (I know, you probably are too, but just too nice to say anything.) :rating: