Summer is Here- Mileage Drop!

ScooterS

excellent info / tips posted from user hybridbear over at the fusion site but applies to all cars hybrid or not:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7229-effects-of-ac-on-mpg-and-how-to-maximize-efficiency-while-using-ac/?do=findComment&comment=60647

Thanks.  I also find it interesting that the Cruise Control on the Fusion wills how the set mileage but not on the C-Max.

you know how the electric company tv commercials always tells you to conserve energy to set your home thermostat to 78 degrees...so it's the same concept for your car. it seems like it would be unbearable but it's not. you do just fine at that temp in your house. and for in the car it would be the same but just a little lower temp (73-76) since the size of your car is much smaller so you use up the cool air quicker and it gets colder faster.

Edited by salsaguy

You guys are hard-core; we live in Atlanta and setting the car's A/C at 78 would never fly with my warm-blooded spouse, she likes it at about 68. Happy wife, happy life.

Yeah, I live in Phoenix, my A/C is between 72 and 70, always.  Night, day doesn't matter. (Just cause its dark doesn't mean its not 100 outside) :runaway:

You guys are hard-core; we live in Atlanta and setting the car's A/C at 78 would never fly with my warm-blooded spouse, she likes it at about 68. Happy wife, happy life.

It's more the humidity than the heat down there, right? In that case, running the AC at a higher temperature might be more comfortable than you'd think.

Summer goes between 90 to 96F here.  I got Oxford White, and I added tinting.  I have the Pan Roof, but I close the shade while parked.  I keep the temp at 73 with recirculate.  Fan speed will vary between 3 and 4 bars.  This gives me 49+ mpg for mostly city driving. 

Normally, I keep my home at 68, but I am finding that I am pretty comfortable with the C-MAX set as above.  I think that the vent routing allows the higher set temperature, because I always have a cool breeze directed at me from the lower center vents.

I won't argue with the premise of keeping the wife happy (though I don't have one).

However, I'm also in Atlanta, and grew up in Illinois, so you'd expect me to prefer cooler temps. But comfort is mostly what you get used to, and I'm very comfortable in the car with the AC set around 76. Once the humidity is gone, anything in the mid-70s is pretty easy to adjust to.

expect 36-38mpg if you set it to 68 degrees !!! that's chilly. where was she born? Siberia???

try to wean her off it slowly like go to 72 to start (then 74 ....). don't forget most ac units can't go more than 20 degrees below the outside temp without struggling hard and using lots of power. do you use recirc?? if you do you can do with a higher temp and not need 68. if you are using fresh 100% of the time, try running on recirc in the beginning when you start it up and off and on every so often, esp when you need more engine power.

Edited by salsaguy