First Service at dealer

MtnMarty

I had my first service at 5000 miles. Oil change, filter and tire rotation cost $47 with tax. I think that's a bit high. I also had them check two things, neither of which they were able to fix. The first was the fact that I have to slam the rear hatch to prevent the open warning light from coming on (manual, not electric hatch). They had to order a part for this one. The second item is that the switch on the side of the shifter which is supposed to engage the hill assist does not work. When I try to activate this when going downhill, nothing happens. I know there's supposed to be a light that comes on in the display, but that does not happen. Dealer sent an email to Ford for guidance on this and they said they'd fix both when the other part comes in.

Yeah its a bit high, mine was complimentary free first oil change BUT it was done when warning signal came on. If you have 5000 Odometer miles probably only 2500 ICE miles and way to early for an oil change. Let the car electronics tell you when to change oil.

I would love to pay $47. A usual oil change costs $35 (semisynthetic) and $25 for the tire rotation plus tax and waste disposal. It comes out to almost $70 when it's all said and done.

The Quicklane service guys know me since I bring everything to them now and throw in a deal here and there. The fixed a flat for free in my Murano last week.

I would love to pay $47. A usual oil change costs $35 (semisynthetic) and $25 for the tire rotation plus tax and waste disposal. It comes out to almost $70 when it's all said and done.

The Quicklane service guys know me since I bring everything to them now and throw in a deal here and there. The fixed a flat for free in my Murano last week.

My first change was complimentary from the dealer but they did hand me a receipt for $77 in charges; oil change only, no tire rotation!  $47 is GREAT for synthetic with a rotation but the OP probably got semi-syn.

My first change was also complimentary.  I also had it done today with a little over 5000 miles.  My dealership has an Owner Advantage Rewards program.  I get $10 off my next visit for a new vehicle reward and each time I have work done there I get points for dollars off.  I see on the paper that tells me how many points I have that it is Ford Owner Advantage which may be organized through Ford.  Maybe you could ask your dealer if they have this program.  

My first change was also complimentary.  I also had it done today with a little over 5000 miles.  My dealership has an Owner Advantage Rewards program.  I get $10 off my next visit for a new vehicle reward and each time I have work done there I get points for dollars off.  I see on the paper that tells me how many points I have that it is Ford Owner Advantage which may be organized through Ford.  Maybe you could ask your dealer if they have this program.  

Good idea, I've been an owner advantage for a few years.  5% back on all service and complimentary oil changes: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerAdvantageRewards

You know I forgot to check whether it was synthetic or not. Ugh.  I also have owner advantage, so I guess I'll get something off next time...which will be 10000 miles away. Yes, maybe ICE miles are much less, but I think it's better to error on the conservative side, especially with a new car.

Haven't had mine back to the dealer yet. Trying to get up the nerve to trust them with the software updates. However I did change my oil yesterday. I used mobile1 EP and Ford oil filter. Total cost about $40 and and maybe an hour time. I had about 9,750 miles on the original oil. Dipstick still checked right on the full mark but the engine had just over 4100 miles run time. See attached.

post-92-0-49442600-1372884646_thumb.jpg

Edited by cgul

i know the hybrid cars get less time in ice mode due to the EV time, but wondered if all the start/stopping of the engine wouldn't end up causing MORE issues/wear and tear than a conventional gas engine car.

i know they have special linkages and computer management systems/methods to help with this, but just wondering out loud....

If things still work like they do for traditional engines, probably only the initial start up of the engine causes the bigger wear.  It takes a little time for oil to get out of the pan.  Once that's done, I guess the much less use of ICE compensates for frequent starts and stops.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

• 2 weeks later...

My first service was complimentary too. But I didn't know about the synthetic oil thing. I looked at the slip and it just

says 5W20 oil. I hope they put in the right stuff. I am going to ask them what they put in. I am sort of an oil change freak and since it is the first change, had it done at 3,800. I figure that there are metal parts and such that are an issue with the first oil - - not that I know anything about car engines. But I had a Saturn for 20+ years and always changed the oil every 3,000. That car was as good as new when I sold it this year. Also, change my Honda oil about every 3,000. I have had mechanics say this is the thing to do.

Today, I have water under the car and splatters all over under the hood. Haven't had the air on for 2 days. Wonder what this is. Has never happened before even with the air on. I could actually see water dripping out underneath. I am wondering if they overfilled the coolant when serviced, but I had this happen after only driving about 4 miles. Has anyone had this happen. I am talking to my dealer tomorrow.

modern engines do not have metal shavings left in them anymore.close machining tolerances don't allow for this and they do a complete clean and flush before assembling.

modern engines can go 5000 to 10000 miles before an oil change. my Passat service intervals is every 10k.

doing the change sooner can be bad as sometimes the first oil put in a car is specific for breakin periods.

water under the car? Did you use the A/C alot? sometimes the dealer over fills the containers.

I did not use the air at all, that's what had me concerned. I spoke with the dealer today and he said that there is a system to cool the battery that works like the air conditioning. It produces water. So that must be what is going on. It is the first time this has happened. But there are a lot of water splatters under the hood. I am going to show that to the dealer on Monday. Also I am going to find out what they put in for oil, as this is a real small dealer in a hick town and they may not know much about these cars. I am afraid they may have put just regular oil in the car. When I asked them when to do the first oil change, I said 'about 3,000 miles?' They said, 'yeh.' So I am wondering just what they know. I suppose I should have the full synthetic oil put in. 

I appreciate help with this, as you can see my dealer here does not know a lot about the car. I am learning from reading the forum. 

jrabey,  if you have a CMax hybrid, the hybrid battery is only cooled by the interior air temperature and fans.  There are two interior intake vents just behind the rear seatbacks when they are in the upright position.  

The stock oil is a motorcraft semi-syn blend.