When Can a Dealer Book a Sale?

Wondering if you guys can shed some light on this...

Just got a Ford Customer Viewpoint survey asking about my "recent purchase" of a 2013 C-MAX Hybrid from my dealership.  The survey goes on to state, and I quote, "...related to your purchase experience on June 30."

Now, as you all know, Maxine wasn't born until July 11, and is still in transit.  I don't expect to take delivery until July 26 (current ETA per Ford).

I'm not trying to assume the worst here, but...did my dealership take credit for my sale before it actually occurred?  The specific mention of June 30 as the "purchase date" makes me a bit suspicious, as that's the last day to take credit for June sales.

So...is it kosher to take "credit" for a sale on a car that hasn't even been built yet?  Am I missing something?  Am I being too suspicious?  Am I asking too many questions?  :)

A lot of times, Dealers will often use an earlier Sale Date for up to a week before actual delivery takes place in order for a Customer to use a expiring special rebate cash offer.  Who would not rather lose a weeks worth of Warranty Coverage in exchange for an earlier delivery date to save an extra $750 or $1000 that would be lost with an expired Vincent Code #.

Interesting. Maybe they booked it early to meet their goals for June even though you don't have the car yet. I agree with comments above about contacting them about the survey. I wouldn't take the approach of trying to blackmail them though. I would ask about why the survey says that you purchased the car on June 30th and bring up the concerns from another poster about losing warranty days because of this and see what they say. If it turns out that they did something that is going to cost you warranty days or is not approved of by Ford then you can negotiate with them for something in exchange for letting their misbehavior slide.

A lot of times, Dealers will often use an earlier Sale Date for up to a week before actual delivery takes place in order for a Customer to use a expiring special rebate cash offer. Who would not rather lose a weeks worth of Warranty Coverage in exchange for an earlier delivery date to save an extra $750 or $1000 that would be lost with an expired Vincent Code #.

I can understand a week or so early, but almost a month? That seems a bit too unreasonable to me. I believe that, on custom orders, I can lock an any incentives available between date of order acceptance and date of delivery at the time of delivery, so booking early doesn't help that.

Still trying to get hold of the dealership sales manager to clear this up.

Edited by MadManMoon

I ordered mine on April 30 and it arrived on June 29th.  I got my survey on July 16th and it referenced the 29th as my purchase date.

I don't know the inner workings of the dealerships, but I know for me, I had planned on leaving the CMax at the dealership until July 1, when the window tint was going to be done.  Our sales guy, who we have dealt with for years and like very much (except when he turns on the seat warmers and toasts me!), said that was fine, but asked if we could at least sign all the paperwork and settle up financially on that Saturday, since that would put the car in that sales month.  

Okay, now I'm officially confused.

Just got another Ford Customer Viewpoint survey...asking about my service experience of my 2013 C-MAX Hybrid on July 20!!!   :drop:

Poor Maxine is just sitting there on Ramp 4G from July 11 to July 26, when apparently in bizarro-world she was delivered on June 30, and serviced on July 20!!!

I went to the dealership last weekend to discuss the June 30 issue, and they checked the system and found that they had mis-entered data from another vehicle.  It would appear this has not yet been corrected!

:banghead:

Dealer confirmed this morning that their sales and service systems operate on two different databases...and whichever employee entered my VIN incorrectly was at least consistent!  The service database has now been corrected as well.  Still no railcar, though.   :waiting:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick follow-up...received a welcome packet of sorts from Ford today congratulating me on my purchase, again showing the June 30 purchase date.  However, the VIN was also listed...and it's not my VIN.  I feel sorry for the person that actually owns this car and apparently did buy it on June 30, because I'm getting all their brochures and service coupons.  smile.png

I'll have to correct this at the dealership when I pick it up later this week (hopefully).

At least my suspicions that the dealer was pulling some sales quota shenanigans didn't prove to be true.