Highest MPG CMax Club (minimum 500 miles)

Jus-A-CMax

The drive to Acton is a killer. At the 300 miles mark on this tank, I was averaging nearly 48 mpg. The trip miles plus the miles to empty were up around 620. Then I drove out to Acton. No traffic, 70+ mph all the way out, uphill climb of 200+ feet. OUCH, only averaged 30 mpg getting there. Well, at least coming back is down the hill, right?

Ā 

Again, light traffic, the few cars were all coasting well over 75. I still do not have the update, so my engine had to stay running. The battery was topped out within the first mile. I was tempted to turn off the key and coast, but chickened out. It only managed to average 66 MPG on the way down. That made the round trip average a horrible 41.25 mpg, trashing any chance of a 600 mile tank. I still hit 556.2 miles with a tank average hitting 45.2 mpg using 12.28 gallons. The miles to empty showed 2

Ā 

How far are people willing to run past 0 miles to empty?

People have said they can go about 20 miles past 0, but I have not done it myself.

Ā 

I am at 603 miles for my current tank and I still have about 1.75 gallons left. Ā That puts me really, really close to 700 miles. Ā I'm think I'm going to get a can and a gallon of gas to give it a run.

Ā 

When I was at my parents house before I looked at trip 1 and it said 588.4 miles, 10.99 gallons, and 53.5 mpg. Ā I took a pic, but I'm going to hold off posting it to see if I can get a higher average. I'll post the best one after I fill up so I'm not updating my 500+ mpg daily.

People have said they can go about 20 miles past 0, but I have not done it myself.

Ā 

I am at 603 miles for my current tank and I still have about 1.75 gallons left. Ā That puts me really, really close to 700 miles. Ā I'm think I'm going to get a can and a gallon of gas to give it a run.

Ā 

When I was at my parents house before I looked at trip 1 and it said 588.4 miles, 10.99 gallons, and 53.5 mpg. Ā I took a pic, but I'm going to hold off posting it to see if I can get a higher average. I'll post the best one after I fill up so I'm not updating my 500+ mpg daily.

Ā 

Focus on some city driving and EVing your top priority, that will squeeze you out the extra miles. You CAN do this!!! You and FrBill are one of the top tier CMax drivers here :victory:

Ā 

700 is HUGE. Now you get the feel of what its like to even try 800+ ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Focus on some city driving and EVing your top priority, that will squeeze you out the extra miles. You CAN do this!!! You and FrBill are one of the top tier CMax drivers here :victory:

Ā 

700 is HUGE. Now you get the feel of what its like to even try 800+ ;)

Ā 

I got 56.7 mpg round trip today to work and home, that's a personal record! Ā When I got to work trip 1 said 53.7 mpg and when I got home it was down to 53.5. Ā This makes me really angry about the couple of days I drove home with the AC on and got 48 mpg round trips, when I went up to my friends house and my girlfriend insisted on using the air, and the time I went up and over this giant hill near my house when I went to get my haircut instead of driving around it, short 2 mile trips that ended up in the low 20 mpg's both ways... Ā On top of that it's supposed to be in the mid-90's here tomorrow, ugh...

Ā 

I want the 700 miles to be in my normal driving routes, not going to go out of my way to get a higher mpg, but I won't lie, I'm tempted... I know a 5 mile route with a gas station at the bottom of the hill that I can easily hit 100 mpg for the trip (assuming the lights work out for me) Ā but coming home is a bear so I'd have to do that for my last 5 miles. Ā 

Ā 

I couldn't imagine 800, my highest round trip ever was today at 56.7 mpg, I'd have to up that a full 5 mpg and AVERAGE that over 800 miles... Ā The only way I could see that happening is if I had a tow truck pick me up from work everyday for a month or so... Ā Lol!

I set two personal records today, best trip to work and best round trip to work! Ā Trip to work was 77.1 mpg (previous best was 76.1 mpg) and for the round trip I hit 58.6 mpg! Ā (yesterday was my previous best round trip at 56.7 mpg) Ā It helped that I hit traffic on the way home, the section of highway I normally drive at 55 mph I never topped 45, and combined with my personal best trip this morning I easily beat my previous best round trip.

Ā 

IMG 20130911 082429

Ā 

I'm also got up to 53.8 mpg for the tank when I got to work (641.6 miles and 11.91 gallons), I'm holding off on posting that picture because I want to wait and see if I can do better tomorrow or Friday.

Ā 

I really think I have a chance at a 700 mile tank, if I have 13 gallons to burn then I need to hit 53.833 mpg. Ā I'm right there and if I continue to get record or near record trips to work I will pass 700 just as I get to work on Friday the 13th! Ā Ha!

Ā 

Well I guess I'm still a bottom feeder in this club but at least I moved out of the 30's into the 40's!

Ā 

I can't wait for winter when I can finally use less a/c. Ā That should allow to move me further up the list.

Ā 

It's all about improvement and THAT is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!! Can't wait till the day you beat the 47MPG....screw the 43... :rockon:

Ā 

I set two personal records today, best trip to work and best round trip to work! Ā Trip to work was 77.1 mpg (previous best was 76.1 mpg) and for the round trip I hit 58.6 mpg! Ā (yesterday was my previous best round trip at 56.7 mpg) Ā It helped that I hit traffic on the way home, the section of highway I normally drive at 55 mph I never topped 45, and combined with my personal best trip this morning I easily beat my previous best round trip.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'm also got up to 53.8 mpg for the tank when I got to work (641.6 miles and 11.91 gallons), I'm holding off on posting that picture because I want to wait and see if I can do better tomorrow or Friday.

Ā 

I really think I have a chance at a 700 mile tank, if I have 13 gallons to burn then I need to hit 53.833 mpg. Ā I'm right there and if I continue to get record or near record trips to work I will pass 700 just as I get to work on Friday the 13th! Ā Ha!

Ā 

Go snitGTS!!!!!! :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard: :skateboard:

Way to go Danut!Ā  Is that Bellevue, WA?Ā  Looks like we are tracking similar MPG averages.Ā  Nick - Ballard

Ā 

Thank you!

Ā 

Yup Bellevue and my commute is onlyĀ 7 miles or so each way. The ICE never gets to warm up in the mornings and I am already at work. I think if my commute was longer with some freeway I would get much better.

In theory, shouldn't this club have just as many entries as we have members? Ā If everyone posted an entry, then we could see the bigger picture across the board. Ā Some drivers are more aggressive, or have more hills, or even more traffic than others. Ā This would paint a nice range of MPG's achieved under a wider range of conditions. Ā Right now, this list is more of a "best of" compilation.

In theory, shouldn't this club have just as many entries as we have members? Ā If everyone posted an entry, then we could see the bigger picture across the board. Ā Some drivers are more aggressive, or have more hills, or even more traffic than others. Ā This would paint a nice range of MPG's achieved under a wider range of conditions. Ā Right now, this list is more of a "best of" compilation.

Ā 

Is that called fueliy? Ā 

Ā 

Basically anything below 40mpg will not make it to a 500 mile tank (comfortably with room for error). Ā 

Ā 

Yeah, we can have an endless list but right now, I am thinking capping it as a Top 30 otherwise the Post #1 size just gets berzerk. Might keep a small "honorable" mention for those bumped out of the Top 30.

Ā 

As for the 500+ miles, its to make sure we have a decent amount of driving on your choice of terrain. That stops the 100+ MPG reports for the 6 milers etc. Even then, I see some drivers do continue to struggle to get > 35MPG due to skill, traffic, speed, terrain etc. However, 500 should not be a total stretch for those like spyburn who lives further away from gas (this is not a 600+ Mile CMax Club where its TIGHT to get those numbers for some).

Ā 

Ultimately, this thread is about IMPROVING your FE driving skill and the only way to do that is to have some ranking system. Lets keep it all fun and Maxing along. Who would not want to have 8c or less per mile? Ā Or maybe some prefer...Ā  :spend:

Ā 

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

With all due respect, I didn't see 500 mile tanksĀ as any sort of stretch, beyond the fear of running out of gas. The sucky lifetime average says I make it with 25 miles to spare, and both fill-ups have have exceeded 500 handlily.

Ā 

You'll hear from me on the 600 mile thread if I ever get a long enough stretch of surface driving. It's a month's worth of commuting... the weather will turn first, I bet!

Ā 

HAve fun,

Frank

Well here is what will be my best entry for the 500+ max mpg club, 54.0 mpg over 668.8 miles (12.38 gallons). Ā No way I top this tomorrow because I drove home through a huge storm, got hailed on, sat in traffic, drove through puddles galore, and averaged 36 mpg for my trip home... Ā The whole time I was sweating bullets, just thankful I made it home!

Ā 

I'm not making my 700 miles this tank, I ran in the house because of the rain but I'm about 683 miles and I've burned 12.8 gallons for the tank, so I'm not making 17 miles on 0.2 gallons. Ā I'm just going to drive to the gas station down the street from me tomorrow morning and fill up, I'll post that picture tomorrow night or this weekend. Ā Oh well...

Ā 

IMG 20130912 170414

And don't forget those of us who live 20 miles from a gas station don't necessarily want to test the Miles to Empty assumptions!Ā  It's a looonnnggg walk to the gas station in 100 + temps when there's no cell signal!Ā  Ā 

I was able to get at least 40mi past E. I'm sure you can easily get 20mi.

Paul