Highest MPG CMax Club (minimum 500 miles)

Jus-A-CMax

In theory, shouldn't this club have just as many entries as we have members?  If everyone posted an entry, then we could see the bigger picture across the board.  Some drivers are more aggressive, or have more hills, or even more traffic than others.  This would paint a nice range of MPG's achieved under a wider range of conditions.  Right now, this list is more of a "best of" compilation.

Well I think except for the die-hard hypermilers a vast number of owners just want to enjoy their CMax for what it is and not bust their butt trying to eck! out higher numbers just for the recognition and saying they did it.  Bragging rights aren't important to these folks, it is what it is.  I know until I started reading threads from Jus-A-CMax and other big hypermilers that it wasn't a big focus for me.  But now I just want to get into the 600+ club and my present tank of gas is my best change of doing that.  I've been a 500+ owner many times over.  Time to move up although I don't think I will ever grace the halls of the 700 or 800mile range, just too much work to achieve.  I'm giving it all I've got to just make 600+

Here is my 500 mile tank, 508.5miles using 10.01 gal for 50.7 MPG (18,129.7 total miles and a 98% lifetime brake score):

cmax500miles.jpg

:congrats:  Hannah WCU Awesome effort!!!!

I need to bump myself up the list a bit with my new best.  Here it is:

:congrats:  2nd highest female driver, only pipped by Adair by 0.1 MPG...how close is that!!!! Awesome driving C-Maxgo!!!!

Well I think except for the die-hard hypermilers a vast number of owners just want to enjoy their CMax for what it is and not bust their butt trying to eck! out higher numbers just for the recognition and saying they did it.  Bragging rights aren't important to these folks, it is what it is.  I know until I started reading threads from Jus-A-CMax and other big hypermilers that it wasn't a big focus for me.  But now I just want to get into the 600+ club and my present tank of gas is my best change of doing that.  I've been a 500+ owner many times over.  Time to move up although I don't think I will ever grace the halls of the 700 or 800mile range, just too much work to achieve.  I'm giving it all I've got to just make 600+

IMO, after you posted this basically slamming all the hypermilers here "Well I think except for the die-hard hypermilers a vast number of owners just want to enjoy their CMax for what it is and not bust their butt trying to eck! out higher numbers just for the recognition and saying they did it.  Bragging rights aren't important to these folks, it is what it is.  I know until I started reading threads from Jus-A-CMax and other big hypermilers that it wasn't a big focus for me. "

...it's clear you're telling everyone, this die-hard-hypermiling is not for you. Fair enuf, I accept that.

Then you clearly contradict yourself: "But now I just want to get into the 600+ club and my present tank of gas is my best change of doing that"...what gives Mike?

Are you saying you now want to join the "die hard hypermilers" who "bust their butt trying to eck! out higher numbers just for the recognition and saying they did it." and now YOU want "bragging rights" about it....huh...... :runaway:

I'm sorry but I am not going to let this post go by and let you slam all the great hypermilers who contributed tremendously to this forum with their knowledge and achievement like Matt, Seth, SnitGTS, frbill, Nick, 11StiLimited and many, many others and presume they all did it for "bragging rights".

I speak for myself but I enjoy the hypermiling game, it makes me more aware of the vehicle I drive in and most of all the conditions of the road, traffic and surroundings. Unlike the drone gas drivers. Plus its a personal achievement, just like when I first run my 1st 10K race. I do it cause I :flirt:  it.

I wonder if you go to marathons and tell the finishers they do it for "bragging rights"? Yes, I am being facetious. Flame away, but enuf is enuf!

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

mtb I get what you are saying in your last post. I really hope you make it. I don't know of anyone on this forum who has put in the effort and mods as you and still not made the 600 mark. I am rather offended by the attack that JUS just launched. In my opinion he just earned the "dick"  of the day award. Way to go MODERATOR!

That is what I didn't get.  I wasn't trying for anything spectacular and I was getting 500 miles out of every tank, easily.  I pulled it off the dealer's lot, at that point, my MTE was showing 450 miles.  I filled it up (since my dealer did not).  I then was reading MTE at 525.  So, in the 243 "test driven" miles before I drove my car off the lot, those non-purchasers still seemed to be putting down ok numbers in relation to this forum.  This is why I didn't understand how 500 miles was not attainable by everyone.  Honestly, if I am not mistaken, there are a few gas only cars with a range of 400+, so my thought was we can all do better than that easy in a hybrid.

To the folks who don't focus on things that give you extra miles in a hybrid, why would you buy a hybrid in the first place, if not to save money on gas?  The environment?  Sure, that is valid, but for that a p-zero emissions car would be just as practical.

MY reason for switching from a gas car to a hybrid had nothing to do with the environment, in the traditional sense.  MY reason was all about saving gas money.  I was spending $225 month on gas.  This broke down to 200+/- miles per tank at 14 gal fill-ups, once a week costing $55-$60 per fill.  Now I go 550-660 miles in a tank, and only spend $45 once every 3.5 weeks.  It truly PAYS to play this "game" ;)

I don't consider myself a hypermiler, but I'm more competitive than I ever knew, as is evidenced by my participation in this challenge and the 600 Mile Club. And, quite honestly, I appreciate what it's taught me about my driving style and more importantly, how to save money! But none of that has taken away from my love for my car! I bought the car, initially, because when I sat in it the first time, it felt *right*. The fact that I could double my miles w/o even trying was a plus. And THEN.....I started learning more about how to drive more effeciently and save even more!! What a deal!! And if I hadn't found this forum, and all the drivers with way more experience than I had, I would still be driving like I used to and being happy with 30+ miles per gallon. Instead, I'm learning new things every day here and getting 45+ miles per gallon to boot. It's just plain fun. And I'm grateful to the high-mileage folks who are so willing to share their knowledge.

Actually, it was ptjones back in Dec/Jan and then Matt's driving prowness and achievements (700+) that kicked in after that - that really pushed me to drive it harder.

:flirt: it now though...8c a mile (is it even that, I need to recalc) and I am laughing all the way to the bank while my wifes gas bill remains ridiculous at over $350 per month. Think her next car is a Tesla X.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

My husband and I are new to hypermiling. We love this car especially because it's fun to drive. We love to see who gets the best mileage on our trips. It's a challenge to better ourselves. In fact we find driving gas cars boring now. We drove my husband's gas car on a recent trip and we both got bored. I kept looking for something to watch other than the typical gas engine gauges. We've become better drivers because we are more conscious of what we are doing when we drive the C-Max. I'm very excited that I could improve my gas mileage on a 530 mile trip from 43 mpg to 47.9 mpg. More power to anyone who wants to hyper mile! :worship:

Edited by C-Maxgo

Could not agree more Maxgo.  'Normal' cars are kind of crazy, inefficient, 'wasteful' antiques now, and a bit boring. 

Like many here, I shun the hypermiling label because we have simply 'normalized' what we consider safe & efficient driving - coasting/EVing at posted speed most of the time, gobbling up brake & DHA regens, and squirting gas when we must.  We (the driving public) are so trained/brainwashed to hypergas/hyperthrottle/hyperbrake, that it takes an awakening to think & drive differently/more efficiently.  We (our family) are looking at the ratio of EV to ICE now, and are thrilled to be cruising along without any exhaust emissions more than half of the time.  We had a day trip this week out and around the Puget Sound (Hood Canal) that involved some 'city' at 25, but mostly 35 to 55 mph speeds; lots of waterfront flats, but mostly hills & dales............. and reached the 70% EV level for the 136 mile trip!!!  How cool is that, to know that most of your trip you did not spew out exhaust emissions.   :jump_earth:

And it is not difficult!  Enjoy the journey, say goodbye to point to point explosion driving!

Thrilled hypersmilers :)  :)  :love_shower:  :love_shower:  :love_shower: ,

N & K .........

PS  And no TB's with our Max!

PSS  Winter; well that is another story (although it is mild here).

DSC 4739

DSC 4745

Edited by C-MaxSea

I purchased my C-Max in mid-October 2012 and had my first 47mpg tank straight off the dealer's lot! When this forum started back in late 2012, the main issue being hotly discussed was why fuel mileage was steadily decreasing as outside temperatures began to drop during the winter months. I had experience with a 2010 Escape Hybrid that was getting city mileage in the low 40's and my C-Max was doing about the same...very disappointing. I developed grill covers that allowed the engine to retain heat thereby improving fuel economy. I did a ton of testing fuel mileage with and without the covers in a controlled test highway loop. The results showed a 2 - 4 mpg improvement in fuel economy with the covers installed. Around a dozen or so other C-Max owners with covers (some purchased from me and others made their own) experienced similar results early this year. I mentioned I believed we could get up to 700 miles on a tank and Jus-A-CMax had the brilliant :thumbsup: idea to start the 600 mile club! A good number of C-Max owners enthusiastically jumped on board to accept the challenge and here we are today with a 500+ mile club, a 600+ mile club and several who have topped 700+ and even 800+! 

I look on the challenge as just that - fun, fun and more fun. It makes driving a lot more interesting and it doesn't hurt to have a few extra bucks in my pocket either! Plus when I was close to the 700-mile mark, my wife who had been complaining about my obsessive/compulsive driving habits, joyfully encouraged me to drive around a local shopping center until I broke the 700 mark and THEN told me to keep going until I ran out of gas!!!!!! I wussed out at 725.2 even though I had a 2-gal gas can in the back in case I ran out of fuel (I didn't). That made two of us happy!

This is not for everyone but there are a good number of us that are having fun with it. I'd hate to see "hypermiling" labeled as a negative; it's an individual decision and heck, it's a lot of fun plus it gives us something to talk about. The challenge I'm working on now is to get over 47mpg at 70mph on the highway with aerodynamic assists (currently getting 50mpg at about 65mph). I just ordered the Aerohance GasPods.

Got my rebate check in the mail today to pay for my aerodynamic assists! Happy C-Maxing! :shift:

Here's my 500-mile tank. I had to take a gratuitous run locally to get over the 500-mile mark because I didn't want to run out of gas driving over CA-17 to Santa Clara.

When I filled up, the car took 12.488 gallons (no topping off), which worked out at 40.7 mpg, vs 11.53 galls and 44.0 mpg shown by the car.

Of course, my mileage might be better if I didn't drive back and forth between Santa Cruz and Santa Clara so much. It's frustrating to arrive at the summit with the battery 2/3 full, and then to run out of regenerative braking less than half-way down the other side. You'd think that, having a GPS on board, the PCM could take account of the upcoming downslope and stop the battery charging before the summit so that I'd arrive at the summit with an almost empty battery. Forcing the car to recognise the summit as an EV+ location didn't help, the upslope is too steep for EV operation. Any suggestions?

--Ian

post-870-0-96449100-1380326079_thumb.jpg

It's frustrating to arrive at the summit with the battery 2/3 full, and then to run out of regenerative braking less than half-way down the other side.

Do whatever pulse and glide you can on the way uphill.  For example, speed limit of 45 mph, pulse up to 50, kick into EV for the very short distance that you can get but allowing slow down gradually, allow speed to go down to whatever you can safely get away with (maybe 40 or just under), and also running down the battery level.  Then pulse again back to 50 and repeat.  Make sure to try to crown the top of the hill (going into EV and bringing the battery as low as you can get as you coast over the top of the hill.  If you are lucky, you will have the minimum battery level as you start the downhill run.

Here's my 500-mile tank. I had to take a gratuitous run locally to get over the 500-mile mark because I didn't want to run out of gas driving over CA-17 to Santa Clara.

--Ian

You're in Ian!!! Way to go!!

I finally got my first 500+ mile tank and best mpg at 45.8. The photo I shot was no good so I am attaching my Fuelly entry for the stats.

Tehuti, you're entered too!! Nice job!! By any chance do you have your EV miles and your total miles on the car at about that point? It's just another component of the total stats. If not, no biggie.

Have a great weekend y'all!

Tehuti, you're entered too!! Nice job!! By any chance do you have your EV miles and your total miles on the car at about that point? It's just another component of the total stats. If not, no biggie.

I had shot a pic of the stats but somehow it came out so blurred I couldn't read it. Next time I'll be more careful. My total miles were 2,848.10. Edited by tehuti

When I filled up, the car took 12.488 gallons (no topping off), which worked out at 40.7 mpg, vs 11.53 galls and 44.0 mpg shown by the car.

Of course, my mileage might be better if I didn't drive back and forth between Santa Cruz and Santa Clara so much. It's frustrating to arrive at the summit with the battery 2/3 full, and then to run out of regenerative braking less than half-way down the other side. You'd think that, having a GPS on board, the PCM could take account of the upcoming downslope and stop the battery charging before the summit so that I'd arrive at the summit with an almost empty battery. Forcing the car to recognise the summit as an EV+ location didn't help, the upslope is too steep for EV operation. Any suggestions?

--Ian

Hey if you are driving to and from Santa Cruz and Santa Clara?  I've seen you maybe?  CA 6YZE454?  

spaceball.gifspaceball.gifspaceball.gif

Edited by mtb9153