I don't want to be rude . . .

Altazi

. . . but I started a thread in the "Buying, Order, and Leasing" section before I stopped in here to introduce myself.  Allow me to correct this.

I just started a new job which has a 60 mile per day commute.  I am currently driving my 2001 F350 PowerStroke Lariat full-size crew cab pickup, and occasionally my wife's 2004 Explorer AWD Eddie Bauer.  The F350 gets great mileage on the highway, considering its size - upwards of 20mpg.  This is only if I can keep the truck moving at a steady speed, typically under 60mph to avoid aerodynamic drag.  Stop and go traffic drags the fuel economy down to around 15-16mpg, and it seems that most of the drive IS stop and go :banghead:  The Explorer doesn't get much better mileage than the diesel-powered truck.  if I am going to spend 1-1/2 to 2 hours driving in frustrating conditions, I want to do it economically, and in comfort and style.

This is why I began to look at the Prius V Five and the C-Max hybrid.  You can skip over to my other thread to see my comments on where I am with all of this.

I look forward to hearing about your own experiences with the C-Max, and advice & comments.

Greetings!

welcome you came to the right place to get the best info to help you make your buying decision easier. i too am here to make a decision on buying the CMax for my wife. many here have driven/owned both the Prius and cmax. many here are experts at getting the best mpg out of the cmax. lots of things and tricks. check out any thread by users Jus-a-Cmax or Recumpence.

stop and go sucks but with the cmax getting great mpgs it makes it alot easier and cheaper for sure.

best of luck and have fun here.lots of friendly helpful folks here. the Prius sites are not so friendly.

Welcome to the forum Altazi...thats one way to get attention with the subject,lol.

There is a lot of commentry on all CMax topics, a lot of reviews and opinions and do checkout the Fuel Mileage section and then make up your mind.

One major thing to note, you'll hear a lot of 3.5.1 and the updates by Ford to improve FE (don't know what this stands for? check out the links in my sig)...its a major step for a motor company. Not own a Prii but I doubt that Toyota would provide these software updates as Ford does. I personally blow away the 47/47/47 everyday, though I drive City now 90 to 100% of the time but in my other job I still blow away those figure and that was with at least 50% freeway.

Go read, and feel free to ask any questions if its not been asked before (there is a search function) as well.

:)

Welcome

I to have a long commute to work. I drive 70 miles a day round trip. 90% on the freeway at 70mph. I get anywhere from 46 to 52 mpg in my C MAX. Just this morning on the 35 mile trip into work with the cruse set at 70 I got 52.1mpg.

My director has a prius and gets 55 to 60 on the freeway. I looked at them to but didn't like the dash layout ,seats were not comfortable and no power at all. No Prius for me

Took a Fussion Hybid for a test drive next and liked it, but when I got back to the dealership I saw the C Max, I decided to drive it to. That was all it took. :rockon:  I went in and orderd one that day. I have just over 5,000 on the odometer so far  with no regrets. :wub2:

Hope this helps you make your decission.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I am going to sign papers on my C-Max SEL w/ 303A, panoramic fixed-glass roof, and interior protection package ($30,712.)  The car is in transit from Ford to the dealer, and I should be able to pick it up by Thursday. :)

Cool...in the meantime, feel free to join our many myriads of discussions and fun we have here :)

Niiiiiiiccee. You'll love the Pano! :hi5:

scuba, why do you like the pan roof so much even though it doesn't open and its very expensive for what it is. (don't include the tsb issue as a reason either)

my wife doesn't want the pan roof in her c-max and i would agree.and never uses her sun roof in her SUV but i do in my Passat to let hot air out in the day time when parked or let fresh air in when driving around town (just cracked up to angle not slid all the way back and open to see the sky)

if it was less $$ maybe but...

Edited by salsaguy

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I am going to sign papers on my C-Max SEL w/ 303A, panoramic fixed-glass roof, and interior protection package ($30,712.)  The car is in transit from Ford to the dealer, and I should be able to pick it up by Thursday. :)

congrats!!

what are you most interested in learning here regarding the car?

how much research have you done on the web. have you seen the cmax/Ford you tube channel with all the helpful videos Ford made on the car and the various screens for how your car works?

Salsaguy,  not to answer for Scuba, but give you my opinion on the pano roof.  We have always had a sunroof, swear by them, so I did not want the C-Max Pano either because it did not open.  Then my wife test drove, and loved the pano for two reasons; first it allows in much more light, a highly valued commodity here in the deep dark North;  secondly, there are two overhead 'map' lights with the pano instead of one in the non-pano roof. ( A third reason for us was that it came with the dealer car we chose which was priced very low, so we got it at a major discount )  I have found that the air system & windows do a good job of ventilation, and we don't miss the open sunroof.  Nick

Congrats Altazi, & welcome to the forum. Best of luck & enjoy the new ride. What a radical difference from the F350 to the C-Max. The C-Max is great in traffic, & the sound system should make it even better. Pack a thumb drive with music and you are set. Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

congrats!!

what are you most interested in learning here regarding the car?

how much research have you done on the web. have you seen the cmax/Ford you tube channel with all the helpful videos Ford made on the car and the various screens for how your car works?

I have been following the C-Max on the Internet for months.  I have watched numerous YouTube videos, especially those comparing the C-Max to the Prius V.  I expect to spend some time reading the user manual, and sitting in the car in the driveway fiddling with it.  As an electronic engineer, I enjoy technology, and look forward to learning everything available about the C-Max features & capabilities.

I expect to track the vehicle's fuel economy as well, since I want to verify my calculations for a payback period based on comparison with my F350.  LOL, I know - not fair.  But if I get around 40mpg, the C-Max WILL pay for itself in less than 10 years.  Lots of assumptions there, but it's a start.

I expect to pick up my C-Max from the dealer this evening :)

Salsaguy,  not to answer for Scuba, but give you my opinion on the pano roof.  We have always had a sunroof, swear by them, so I did not want the C-Max Pano either because it did not open.  Then my wife test drove, and loved the pano for two reasons; first it allows in much more light, a highly valued commodity here in the deep dark North;  secondly, there are two overhead 'map' lights with the pano instead of one in the non-pano roof. ( A third reason for us was that it came with the dealer car we chose which was priced very low, so we got it at a major discount )  I have found that the air system & windows do a good job of ventilation, and we don't miss the open sunroof.  Nick

I couldn't have said it better.  My only difference is that I live in the Sunshine State.  So, I do have to sometimes close the cover during the summer.

The Pano Roof sounded gimmicky, and it wasn't cheap.  But, I was surprised at lots of things about it.

For example, I feel like I get less driver fatigue.  Maybe it's from feeling like I am closer to the outside world.  Maybe the view of the outside world does something to make me feel better.  I can't say exactly what it is, but there is a positive impact.

I've had T-tops, sun roofs and convertibles.  After a couple of weeks, the thrill wears off.  I would open them perhaps two times per year, and then only on cool winter nights that we get in South Florida.  You see, I am an air conditioner-aholic when I am not out in nature or under water.  I really don't want or need something that opens; I just want something that feels like it's open without the fumes, heat, or wind-blowing-papers-and-stuff-from-inside-the-car.  I can see outside, but through a nicely tinted ceiling panel that allows me to look, day or night.

I plan on making long road trips.  This will give me a great view along the way.

Like I said, I am surprised at how big of a difference it makes.  Over the years of car ownership, it amounts to very little extra cost.  Saved gas money will pay for it.

One last thing about the expense.  With something as big as this, I didn't want to go with aftermarket, even if it would save some money.  The last thing I want is to get into a contest with Ford, should there be a leak or something that ruins the car.  I'd just rather have it done, and not worry about it.  It would have to be a big difference before I would think about doing it aftermarket.  Ford is on the hook, should anything about the roof go bad.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

altazi, good to hear your an engineer.in sure your life me and love data analysis and reading lots of info and research

I'm a quality engineer.

can't wait to see how you do on mpg improvement over your first 6 months.

lots of fun to be had by you.

envious here. hope we can get ours within the next 4 months.

Glad to hear you like you C-Max, I love ours, the wife didn't think to much of it to start, too small she said, she likes trucks, but after 28K, she mentions the other day that it is nice to drive. She has a 40 mile drive one way to work through the mountains here in New Mexico, We avg 39.7 but have a lot of up and down to drive.

It is a SEL and has the pano which I like, makes the car feel much more open. No problems with the car except the computer upgrade last month, took the dealership 2 days to figure out how to do it and then they did not have the chip they needed, the upgrade changes are nice be sure to get them.

altazi...lol...I found your thread in the other prii forum...recognized your avatar and said "hang on...isn't that altazi".....thought you bought both cars there for a second ;)

I came very close! As you could see, I was chewing on what was effectively a $5600 moonroof in the Prius V. The Prius beat the C-Max in storage, but thing that clinched the deal was test driving both vehicles. The noisy ride and the lack of power really hurt the Prius for us. The C-Max was just a nicer car overall, except that it didn't have quite as much storage. I do miss having a little bin that is readily accessible to set my phone in, or some other little things.

Think the pano roof will help with resale value when the time comes ?

I expect to drive the car until it falls apart, so resale value wasn't on my radar. I would say in general that a well-equipped car should have a better resale than a spartan model.

I came very close! As you could see, I was chewing on what was effectively a $5600 moonroof in the Prius V. The Prius beat the C-Max in storage, but thing that clinched the deal was test driving both vehicles. The noisy ride and the lack of power really hurt the Prius for us. The C-Max was just a nicer car overall, except that it didn't have quite as much storage. I do miss having a little bin that is readily accessible to set my phone in, or some other little things.

Funny enough, storage was last on my priority but it proved itseld nicely in the end...just the pure ride, "tightness" and the SUPERB view did it for me in my evaluation. I thought it was very prudent of you to check and ask the prudent questions.

Tonight I was driving my wifes 2006 Jaguar and the electronics felt so dated. As much as I use to whine (and really the rest of the forum) about the MFT, its pretty darn good with the sleek graphics, integrated voice commands and at a touch navigation, entertainment etc and the 3.5.1 really finishes it well...plus - thus far - we have stability like Win7. Yeah, better speed and may be an ever better UI would help....3.6?

Enjoy your stealthy 2013 Corsair  ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking at buying a C Max or Fusion. I like the idea of the hybrid and the electric/hybrid combo but nervous about making the leap from straight gas. I am looking for some feedback from real owners on some aspects of the vehicles that the dealerships may not be telling us.  What are some costs that a new owner may not be aware of as it relates to general maintainence? For the Electric/Hybrid combo, how much does your electric bill go up monthly from charging the vehicle?  Hybrid vs Electic/Hybrid combo? I think we would be a good candidate for the combo but concerned that the extra weight would decrease acceleration and passing speed on the highway.  I'm sure I have several more question but these are some main issues the wife and I would like cleared up.  Thank you.