Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

My dealer says they have 2 Hybid certified mechanics. I did take it back but they couldn't find anything wrong. It was running better when I left though. Lasted a few days then back to the SOS.39-42mpg This morning it's back to running normal.50.1mpg. Go figure. I'm thinking a sensor may be dying. That would explain it. Going to go on a trip to eastern Ohio this weekend. Lots of hills to climb. I'll post how I do.

Wish me luck

Having two "classroom certified" C Max mechanics is not the same as having two mechanics that have worked on hundreds of C Max's.  All of the certification in the world cannot replace good old hands-on experience and knowledge learned on the job!  It's kind of like life itself, schooling does not replace life experience!  You need to have both to resolved these issues on a new model car and only a large Ford dealership like Galpin can provide that.  I have a local Ford dealership within 5 miles of my house but, I choose to drive over 20 miles to Galpin to have my car serviced for these technical updates.  Once everything settles down, then, perhaps I will try out my local dealer for oil changes and the like.  

Well, just got car back. A note about the dealer and the update.

The dealer: Perry Ford in Santa Barbara Calif. took 3 days to change the oil, install the headliner update, and install the fuel economy update. And to NOT update Sync, check the front suspension clunk, or check the AC refrigerant level/noise as I asked. They also tried to charge me for the service, even though I had bought a prepaid service plan. Said plan, BTW, cost twice as much as it should have because they had "accidentally" sold me a plan for cars with 5000 mile service intervals, and after months of trying I finally gave up on trying to get a refund for the plan and just kept it. But I digress.

The update: Car is definitely louder at 2 bars -- not obnoxious but noticeable -- suggesting the ICE is either working harder or revving higher (didn't flip over to the tach in MyView to verify). Still plenty of torque to chirp the front wheels from a stop, but the delay before the car responds to full throttle -- which was borderline-unacceptable before the update -- seems even worse now. As promised, the car drops in and out of EV even above 62 mph, which is nice. It was 90 degrees today so I left the AC on LO most of the drive, so I cannot say if AC performance is affected in temperature-maintenance mode.

One interesting note: I indicated I wasn't sure I wanted the update yet, given the mixed reviews, but the dealer considers it a recall, i.e. mandatory. So if your car is in for service, the update is treated the same as, say, the exploding gas tanks in Crown Vics - something that must be fixed whether you want it or not.

Just heard from the Attorney Generals office. They tested my car against a new one and a used one with this update installed. The two test cars had same the results and mine was extremly different. They are going to make Ford fix my car now that it is confirmed my update is messed up. I don't know when this will happen so who knows when I'll get Maxie back. I have been driving my truck this week. Nice quiet ride compared to Maxie's screaming ICE 3,000 -4,000 rpms (1800-2000rpms in my truck) Milage is the same as Maxie 25 mpg. I sure miss my 50-55mpg I used to get when I bought Maxie before this update. :cry:

On OASIS, it specifies that the update procedure requires that the ignition cannot be on (key on ignition off) for the update to work correctly.

I wonder if some dealers are doing the update with the ignition on causing a bad update.

These are the dealer instructions for doing the 13B07 update.

NOTE:

When programming or reprogramming a module, use the following basic checks to ensure

programming completes without errors.

Make sure the 12v battery is fully charged before carrying out the programming steps and

connect IDS/scan tool to a power source.

Inspect Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and cables for any damage. Make sure scan tool

connections are not interrupted during programming.

A hardwired internet connection is strongly recommended.

Turn off all unnecessary accessories (radio, heated/cooled seats, head lamps, interior lamps, HVAC

system, etc.) and close doors.

Disconnect/depower any aftermarket accessories (remote start, alarm, power inverter, CB radio,

etc.).

Follow all scan tool on-screen instructions carefully.

Disable IDS/scan tool sleep mode, screensaver, hibernation modes.

Create all sessions Key On Engine Off (KOEO). Starting the vehicle before creating a session will

cause errors within the programming inhale process.

I hope they find the problem quickly and get your C-Max back to you running correctly very soon. And that they learn what went wrong and let all the service people know what to look for. 

I have worked on 3 phase variabl frequency motor drives a few times and when I have an issue with no torque, bad starting, things like that, it has ended up being a dead phase. One bad leg from the MG1 inverter to the motor would totally kill it's ability to hold back torque, which is what keep the engine RPM down and generates the electricity. This would make a racing engine and little charging power. Bu tI would certainly hope something like that would set some error codes for the Ford engineers to trace down.

Well, at the dealer for the update. I now have 3,234 miles with a month and a half of ownership. My overall mpg has been 44.5 off highway. I did have two trips with speeds at 110 mph. ( no more of those scheduled). The C-max is one of most fun driving vehicles. I will try my best to post updates.

I hope they find the problem quickly and get your C-Max back to you running correctly very soon. And that they learn what went wrong and let all the service people know what to look for. 

I have worked on 3 phase variabl frequency motor drives a few times and when I have an issue with no torque, bad starting, things like that, it has ended up being a dead phase. One bad leg from the MG1 inverter to the motor would totally kill it's ability to hold back torque, which is what keep the engine RPM down and generates the electricity. This would make a racing engine and little charging power. Bu tI would certainly hope something like that would set some error codes for the Ford engineers to trace down.

They say they have turned my baby over to Ford. I checked and she's not at my dealership so who knows where she is. Far as I know it could be back at the factory for its reprograming. Hope they tell me what they did to fix the problem so I can pass it on.

I miss Maxie :cry:

Hang in there JohnnOhio.....seems like I really lucked out with my Maxine, the most days she was away was 3 days for the GPS fix and every update has been baby smooth. Good thing is that Ford is now looking into it since its obvious this is above and beyond the dealership service department to handle.

We have the same cars, prolly built around the same time - the only difference is our dealers imho. Anyone in the Los Angeles region, stick with Galpin - nuthin but smoothness in the updates. No horror stories. Even the Gen will atest to them.

Hang in there JohnnOhio.....seems like I really lucked out with my Maxine, the most days she was away was 3 days for the GPS fix and every update has been baby smooth. Good thing is that Ford is now looking into it since its obvious this is above and beyond the dealership service department to handle.

We have the same cars, prolly built around the same time - the only difference is our dealers imho. Anyone in the Los Angeles region, stick with Galpin - nuthin but smoothness in the updates. No horror stories. Even the Gen will atest to them.

Thanks 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I should have gone to Ricart Ford. It's about 100 acres of car lot with it's own streets and traffic lights. You drive (not walk) out in the lot to look at cars. The only draw back is It's always busy and you have to wait a long time to get waited on.

My baby will be coming back fixed for sure this time, unless it can't be fixed. In which case they will have to buy it back. I'm missing her everytime I go to the gas station. Just filled my truck last night $65 and only last me 4 days :sad:

WHAT?!?! They didn't give you a loaner???? What's wrong with these dealerships???!!

Thanks 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I should have gone to Ricart Ford. It's about 100 acres of car lot with it's own streets and traffic lights. You drive (not walk) out in the lot to look at cars. The only draw back is It's always busy and you have to wait a long time to get waited on.

My baby will be coming back fixed for sure this time, unless it can't be fixed. In which case they will have to buy it back. I'm missing her everytime I go to the gas station. Just filled my truck last night $65 and only last me 4 days :sad:

I had my update done by Al Packer Ford. Two days later, I drove from Miami to the mountains of western North Carolina. Everything has been working properly. I won't really be able to say about FE until I get home to Miami, where I can drive my regular routes to compare FE to how it was before the update.

So far, so good .

I'm seeing about a 2 mpg boost from before the update, but it could also just be my car breaking in so who really knows.  Before my update my best tank was 647 miles @ 51.4 mpg.  Right now I'm at 603 miles and 53.5 mpg, and I still have about 1.75 gallons left.

700 :thumbsup:  easy peasy...you can thank me for saying that latah....... ;)

I'm seeing about a 2 mpg boost from before the update, but it could also just be my car breaking in so who really knows.  Before my update my best tank was 647 miles @ 51.4 mpg.  Right now I'm at 603 miles and 53.5 mpg, and I still have about 1.75 gallons left.

I'll never get that kind of milage. I live in the country 10 miles from the nearest town. My drive to work is 30 miles on the freeway at 70. My best for the trip was 54.3mpg before the update stuff.

Just made an appointment for the powertrain upgrade. The lady I talked to said the fuel tank needs to be nearly empty for this process. I thought this a computer programming issue. Why do they need an empty tank? I just filled up and a tank lasts me 3-4 weeks. This defeats the whole purpose of having a high mileage vehicle.

Well, at the dealer for the update. I now have 3,234 miles with a month and a half of ownership. My overall mpg has been 44.5 off highway. I did have two trips with speeds at 110 mph. ( no more of those scheduled). The C-max is one of most fun driving vehicles. I will try my best to post updates.

So any thoughts on going that fast?  

Could it have gone faster?  

How did the brakes work ?  

How was the handling ?  

Did you happen to notice the rpm of the engine?

Thanks.

By the way, after going 110 myself many years ago, I was in a state of "no more of those scheduled."

Edited by obob

Just made an appointment for the powertrain upgrade. The lady I talked to said the fuel tank needs to be nearly empty for this process. I thought this a computer programming issue. Why do they need an empty tank? I just filled up and a tank lasts me 3-4 weeks. This defeats the whole purpose of having a high mileage vehicle.

Did not hear this from my dealer.  Have not seen anyone else mention this on this forum.

I am still mixed up. I sense the city driving to work is the same but the trip coming home - I know I am 2 mpg short each time. I drive this route since my 800 tanks so I have a good sense and its low MPG right now. I cannot put a finger on why...is it I me as I tweak the charge/recharge cycles or Maxine, or the traffic. Mind you, it still 61 MPG total for the day and above but I need to be 62+ to break the 800 mile tank again. I'll keep exploring...right now I am floating to a NO-BENEFIT side of the 13b07 update when it comes to City driving...