Has Anyone Had this happen???

salprint

Last night...I got in my C-Max, turned the key to start....the engine fired up for a split second and then shut down.  (normally in this warm weather the engine would not have started at all until I start driving)  I put it into reverse and nothing...I didn't feel that normal grab of the tranny.  So I take my foot off the brake and slowly step on the gas...and BANG!!!!!  I thought the transmission fell out of the car.  It kinda felt like it was trying to go forward and reverse at the same time.....I felt the pull  back then the bang and then a pull forward and another clunk.  Scared the crap out of me.  Anyway...I shut the ignition off.....waited a few seconds and turned it back on again in the normal way like I was starting the car.  Everything was normal at that point, put it in gear and drove home.  Went to work today...everything was normal.  What do you think?  Should I take it into the dealer?

By the way..it has 13,500 miles and I haven't had any problems up to this point.

Edited by salprint

Take it to the dealer. If it has not been too long, the powertrain computer may have stored a DTC and freeze frame data they can pull and see what it did. It sounds like the computer did not boot up properly. Shutting it off and back on was a re-boot.

Take it to the dealer. If it has not been too long, the powertrain computer may have stored a DTC and freeze frame data they can pull and see what it did. It sounds like the computer did not boot up properly. Shutting it off and back on was a re-boot.

I agree Gary....I'll bring it in soon.  It'll probably never happen again...but who knows.

• 9 months later...

Transmission locked -- car won't move.  This has happened to my wife three seperate times.  Today, she was in a parking garage ready to back out, parking brake off, and the car would not move.  She turned the ICE off, restarted and it was okay.  Any ideas?

Transmission locked -- car won't move.  This has happened to my wife three seperate times.  Today, she was in a parking garage ready to back out, parking brake off, and the car would not move.  She turned the ICE off, restarted and it was okay.  Any ideas?

By any chance, is the car parked in a steep incline when this happens?

I see a pattern.

You might casually :flirt: mention to your dw that you have to have your foot firmly on the brake pedal every time you do anything to the car while stopped.

Tom,

As someone else mentioned, not having the brake depressed completely could cause this concern. If you think your C-Max is not operating properly, however, I recommend making an appointment to have the dealer take a look. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and info for the dealership you're taking it to. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Took my C-Max to the local Ford dealer today to have the recall 14S04 done (reprogram the rcm as per recall).  Anyone know what the rcm is?  My service writer was gone when I picked up my car.

I also raised the transmission issue when I dropped off the car.  They were unable to replicate the condition and found nothing in the network tests they ran.They did ids testing (?) as well as contacting oasis.

Ashley,  they never heard from you -- so the service writer said?

Took my C-Max to the local Ford dealer today to have the recall 14S04 done (reprogram the rcm as per recall).  Anyone know what the rcm is?  My service writer was gone when I picked up my car.

I also raised the transmission issue when I dropped off the car.  They were unable to replicate the condition and found nothing in the network tests they ran.They did ids testing (?) as well as contacting oasis.

Ashley,  they never heard from you -- so the service writer said?

Tom,

I never heard back from you after I reached out earlier in this thread, so I wasn't able to contact anyone. If you still need help, send me the info I requested in the previous post, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

I've also had this happen, especially when I'm in a hurry.  There seems to be a subtlety about having the brake pedal pressed and the transmission engaging properly.  As I recall when this happened last week, I got the transmission out of park, but not into drive (or was it reverse?).  "OK to drive" light was on.  I had to press on the brake, move the shift lever back into park, move it to drive (or reverse?), then release the brake.

I don't believe I had to stop and restart the car, but in any event, the transmission/brake interlock system seems to be a bit finicky.

Edited by Bill-N

Tom,

I never heard back from you after I reached out earlier in this thread, so I wasn't able to contact anyone. If you still need help, send me the info I requested in the previous post, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

Ashley,

I interpreted PM to mean personal message.  I left a "PM"  for you on the home page of this site by clicking the message symbol on the top right side of the home page.  Perhaps you ment something else?  Sorry we didn't connect.

Tom

Ashley,

I interpreted PM to mean personal message.  I left a "PM"  for you on the home page of this site by clicking the message symbol on the top right side of the home page.  Perhaps you ment something else?  Sorry we didn't connect.

Tom

Tom,

Hmmmm. That's odd. I didn't get anything. Next time, maybe try hovering your mouse over my name in one of these posts and then clicking the "send message" button. Sometimes technology gets in the way of itself.  :banghead:

Ashley

Tom,

Hmmmm. That's odd. I didn't get anything. Next time, maybe try hovering your mouse over my name in one of these posts and then clicking the "send message" button. Sometimes technology gets in the way of itself.  :banghead:

Ashley

Ashley, okay, will do.  Tom

• 1 month later...

Got to remember that this thing and all cars these days are computer controlled. I would suspect based upon how they operate that part of the system merely goes to sleep when you shut the car off. IOW it doesn't actually shut down so it can fire up quickly.

Well if you've got a computer (especially a windows computer) you know the more times the system sleeps the more likely you are to encounter problems. So I say if you power cycle the car and you're good, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now if it starts occurring often it may be something to get checked out.

Every car I've had at one point or another has done weird things. I bought a Civic Hybrid at 36k miles and shortly after I was driving it and the air quit. Adjusted the settings, nothing. Pulled over, turned off the car, started back up and everything was fine. Kept the car another 100k and it never occurred again.

Edited by John Sparks