2014 Ford C-max Hybrid!!!

Seth7721

The mileage figures may be "posted".. but that means little at this point. It's my understanding that the official EPA mileage figures for the 2014 C-Max have yet to be determined. The figures being used by Ford at present are simply last year's figures carried over to this year's vehicles.

Edited by maxed-out

The mileage figures may be "posted".. but that means little at this point. It's my understanding that the official EPA mileage figures for the 2014 C-Max have yet to be determined. The figures being used by Ford at present are simply last year's figures carried over to this year's vehicles.

The "official" EPA numbers are in the EPA database and on the Monroney Sticker (window sticker).  Ford could always change them but better have a very good reason as their credibility will sink even lower. I also doubt EPA will be thrilled with a change especially if higher. 

Here's a snippet of selected data from the EPA database.  Note the viscosity of the oil for the 2014 HEVs.  I don't know what the 225.10 means but it is has similar numbers as MB oil specs.  

gallery_167_32_6002.jpg
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Where can we see the EPA database? Window sticker?

Here is a link to a 2014 Hybrid window sticker:

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FADP5AU5EL501019

This info was taken from this post:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3123-only-30-days-til-2014-job-1/?p=39236

And I believe the EPA data came from here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

Edited by HannahWCU

I just posted this in the fuel mileage forum but I figured I would ask here as well. Ford said it was going to make several improvements to the 2014 model to raise gas mileage. Why is the EPA mileage on the 2014 model the same as the 2013?

• It is really not any higher?
  • It really is higher but Ford is being cautious?
  • The testing methodology just not capture how the changes will improve gas mileage. In other words, real world mileage did increase over the 2013 model year, the EPA test cannot detect this?

I just posted this in the fuel mileage forum but I figured I would ask here as well. Ford said it was going to make several improvements to the 2014 model to raise gas mileage. Why is the EPA mileage on the 2014 model the same as the 2013?

• It is really not any higher?
  • It really is higher but Ford is being cautious?
  • The testing methodology just not capture how the changes will improve gas mileage. In other words, real world mileage did increase over the 2013 model year, the EPA test cannot detect this?

I looked at and took pics of 2014 Energi and I don't see how they could make 1mpg improvement from the testing I have done. I would think you would have to make better than 1mpg improvement to change EPA #'s. IMO  It just makes a lot more sense to buy a 2013 CMAX and save 4-5K or more and spend $300 adding mods and get 2-4mpg better gas mileage than buy a 2014. :) 

Paul

My $0.02 is that Ford is looking to improve "Real World" MPG, not necessarily EPA estimates.  The difference between the EPA estimates and "Real World" mileage is what got them in trouble in the first place.  EVERY article stated that the Prius could come close or even exceed its EPA estimates, but the CMax .... well, you know the story.  So if they can make improvements to what customers actually get, and it is closer to the 43 MPG it currently is rated for ....  then its a win for Ford.

Sort of.

As far as I know, yes. Google offered it for a while, then discontinued the service.  I actually created an account with Mapquest and keep all my favorites from my CMax on there.  Then, whenever there is an update and I loose all the favorites in sync, I just go to mapquest and send them back to the car (can only send one at a time, but it beats trying to type them in and save them all again).   :yahoo:

If you create favorites at MapQuest with names that have lowercase letters, do the lowercase letters sync to the car?

I absolutely hate that ever since the latest MFT upgrade, it's impossible to use lowercase letters while naming favorites.

I may need create a MapQuest account just for this.

If you create favorites at MapQuest with names that have lowercase letters, do the lowercase letters sync to the car?

I absolutely hate that ever since the latest MFT upgrade, it's impossible to use lowercase letters while naming favorites.

I may need create a MapQuest account just for this.

I don't know, Really didn't pay any attention to that.  Not driving the CMax today.  I'll try to remember and sent something and see what it does.

I found this odd i.e. looked on Ford Canada dealer inventory and found VIN for a 2014 SEL that won't be built until tomorrow.  We couldn't get a VIN for ours until it was in production.  Just seems odd somehow.  http://inventoryfoc.ford.ca/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FADP5BU5EL501911

Take a boo at the mileage too.  Pisses me off.  Very unrealistic from our experience.

Edited by Laurel

I have noticed that some dealers in both US and Canada are showing 2014 C-Max Hybrids in stock. I was curious as to what axle ratio the 2014's have, so I put some VIN's into the ETIS website. Although the Window Sticker shows the vehicles to be 2014's, ETIS shows them as 2013's. The axle ratios shown is 2.57, which is the same as my 2013, which was built over a year ago.

So much for all the big changes announced for the 2014MY......

This can be partially explained by the fact that in Canada.. whenever the word "Gallon" is used, it's referencing an "Imperial Gallon". An Imperial Gallon is 1.20095 U.S. Gallons.

So 67/city divided by 1.20095 = 55.8/city.. which is still way higher than the US EPA figure of 45. I'm guessing the remaining difference is likely attributable to the Government of Canada's different testing methods for Hybrid vehicles, which are clearly more generous.

Edited by maxed-out

not for some non-canadians... ;)

Ahhh Jus, don't ya yust love being able to smack those "City" numbers out of the park!   :yahoo:

What a great car!  :love_shower:

(((Sadly the Canadian numbers are unrealistic for way too many drivers in the cold, dark (beautiful) north country; and again, on all cars)))

Edited by C-MaxSea

Ahhh Jus, don't ya yust love being able to smack those "City" numbers out of the park!   :yahoo:

What a great car!  :love_shower:

(((Sadly the Canadian numbers are unrealistic for way too many drivers in the cold, dark (beautiful) north country; and again, on all cars)))

Its been much cooler here and even with all the "toys" on Maxine, it's jus barely 56-58 MPG per day now, WAY DOWN than my 63MPG I was scoring in the summer. Amazing what lower temps can do to destroy MPG and hate to think what Maxine will be doing without her toys ;)

Brother Jus hung on to a 46mpg on trip2 all day today in my commute. Got up to 49.9 at one point.   Yes much cooler here today in the south bay.  Maxus has much improved over the last couple days since adding the airdam.  Now thinking about adding left over Extruded Rubber to the side rocker panels between the front and rear tires but wondering how it will look and what would it give me?  Seem to be able to keep my AvMPG no lower than 45 which I really like.  Amazing how keeping the RPM's at or below 2000 when pulling out from a stop can make such a difference.  Also keeping the battery level no lower than 1/4 or halfway used seems to really make a difference

Edited by mtb9153

Brother Jus hung on to a 46mpg on trip2 all day today in my commute. Got up to 49.9 at one point.   Yes much cooler here today in the south bay.  Maxus has much improved over the last couple days since adding the airdam.  Now thinking about adding left over Extruded Rubber to the side rocker panels between the front and rear tires but wondering how it will look and what would it give me?  Seem to be able to keep my AvMPG no lower than 45 which I really like.  Amazing how keeping the RPM's at or below 2000 when pulling out from a stop can make such a difference.  Also keeping the battery level no lower than 1/4 or halfway used seems to really make a difference

Hee...oh where did I see that...yes, thats right...I reported that in my Secret Sauce "Jus-Another-CMax" review especially for Freeway/Highway driving. In the City, however, I would go low because the batts pack more punch & go at the 35-45mpg city speeds so go lower. In any case, 2000 rpm is a good but SLOW way to recharge. I still believe in the 2 bar burn which is more like 2500-2800 rpm but thats jus me.

How can you affect the battery level? I mean, what types of behavior, input, etc? It seems to me the battery charges when it wants, and depletes when it wants. I don't know how to encourage one or the other.

You can effect the battery charge & discharge. Discharge - in the EV take it to the max threshold in the EMPOWER mode and watch it drain for very lil acceleration. To conserve, learn to feather the pedal to give the car the minimum EV it needs to maintain a steady or a slight decrease in speed. You can control the charge as well - most of us hypermilers here will say we use a "1 bar" when we are in re-charge mode - all this means is that in EMPOWER mode, we kick in just 1 bar of ICE and keep it steady until you charge to the level you want.

Also, per my Secret Sauce "Jus-Another-CMax" review, keeping the acceleration to a 2 bar will keep the car charging and give you decent acceleration.

If you want, you can switch to the My View and put the tachy on and usually 1 bar EMPOWER = around 2000 rpm. Note, the acceleration is much slower which may p*ss off the driver behind you so be road conscious. Hope this helps...yeah, you do have control on the charging.

Hee...oh where did I see that...yes, thats right...I reported that in my Secret Sauce "Jus-Another-CMax" review especially for Freeway/Highway driving. In the City, however, I would go low because the batts pack more punch & go at the 35-45mpg city speeds so go lower. In any case, 2000 rpm is a good but SLOW way to recharge. I still believe in the 2 bar burn which is more like 2500-2800 rpm but thats jus me.

You can effect the battery charge & discharge. Discharge - in the EV take it to the max threshold in the EMPOWER mode and watch it drain for very lil acceleration. To conserve, learn to feather the pedal to give the car the minimum EV it needs to maintain a steady or a slight decrease in speed. You can control the charge as well - most of us hypermilers here will say we use a "1 bar" when we are in re-charge mode - all this means is that in EMPOWER mode, we kick in just 1 bar of ICE and keep it steady until you charge to the level you want.

Also, per my Secret Sauce "Jus-Another-CMax" review, keeping the acceleration to a 2 bar will keep the car charging and give you decent acceleration.

If you want, you can switch to the My View and put the tachy on and usually 1 bar EMPOWER = around 2000 rpm. Note, the acceleration is much slower which may p*ss off the driver behind you so be road conscious. Hope this helps...yeah, you do have control on the charging.

+1 on both accounts. 

You can do a really long glide when you allow the battery to go way down while traveling at 45 MPH or less, and even more so at 35 MPH or less.  If you just keep rolling along, you can give it a 1 to 1.75 Bar five second recharge, and then you can just keep gliding it down for a good distance.

At a slower speed, you get great torque while in EV.  So, from a stop, you can use EV to get rolling to about 13 MPH, and then do up to a 2 Bar burn to get up to around 33 MPH, and then drop into EV, give a slight tap, and the torque will pretty instantly get you up to 35 MPH, and then you can glide with slight slowing until hitting 30 MPH, when you recharge and speed back up.  

Sometimes, a 2 Bar burn is all that you need to quickly recharge and stay up to speed.  Sometimes, you can do a smaller burn to bring up the SOC while using the least amount of fuel for the time that you are running ICE.

If you drive differently under different conditions, you get your best fuel economy.