Dear deer

finkins

A few weeks ago, I was returning from a holiday on the BC mainland, driving into Victoria on Vancouver Island in the traffic mass coming south from the ferry terminal on a four-lane highway, when all of a sudden a deer was right in front of my Cmax.

I had about one second to reflect on what to do. I elected to take my foot off the accelerator, and drive straight into the animal, (I had little choice) as it would create the least insurance claims and injuries for the traffic around me. I hit the poor deer dead centre at 75k/hr killing it, was able to drive home, and reported my sorry tale to local police.

My Cmax did not fare well. After some weeks because of issues getting repair parts, my collision repairman returned my car wonderfully rejuvinated, but an insurance bill of $11,200 not counting my rental vehicle costs which they covered as well.

Dear deer indeed!

The experienced insurance rep on assessing the damages initially suggested that the repair would cost between $4000 and $5000.  He took multiple pictures of the car, but at home I didn't have the heart to do that at the time. He way undercosted the final repair. The Cmax is one double-fill Oreo cookie under the hood!

The air bags did not deploy, as the car had enough weight to plow on without much sudden decelleration. And the car is high enough that we did not have any real fears that the animal would invade our windshield, thank goodness.

Interestingly, our provincial insurer indicates that panic stops, or sudden evasive manoevres to avoid a road animal causes much higher total insurance cost with other vehicle and personal injuries than just steaming on into the unlucky animal. My initial reflex to do this was apparently correct. Still, bloody painful.

That's one of the problems with a first model year vehicle. The value hasn't depreciated to the point where they just issue a check. And there aren't enough parts in the repair pipeline to make them less expensive. Also, the tech on this vehicle is, well, like finkins said " one double-fill Oreo cookie under the hood!"

I do feel his pain having my own deer 'close encounter' earlier this year.

Hope the repairs go well.

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd tell my story here that cost a buck it's life and will cost insurance a few bucks too. Driving here in Georgia on way to evening bicycle ride about 45 mph when deer appeared in front of me and I had no time to react. Hit the brakes as the deer impacted the front of car. Airbag did not deploy and car is driveable. Mangled the left front driver's side, shattering the headlight cover and leaving antler marks on the fender. Will drive to body shop tomorrow and see what the damage $$$$s are.

I'm a bit stiff from tensing but otherwise okay. Wheel covers and gas pods survived as well as bike rack and bicycle. My grill covers stayed on but the deer cracked the main grill cover. :sad:  Paul

post-143-0-38633200-1384822795_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-05872300-1384822817_thumb.jpg

Edited by ptjones

I have an appointment for Tomorrow to have an insurance adjuster look at my car (you got to be kidding me ). Since when do you have to make an appointment to have car looked at! :rant2:

I picked up 2014 FFH SE as rental car today so I will be able to do some testing on it with my Grill Covers. I got 53.5MPG coming back from Atlanta, 41mi about 55degrees, drafting on I85 :shift:  Doesn't have power of CMAX but good gas mileage.

Paul

Ouch, this has been a tough couple of weeks for the C-Max crowd. I too hope that the repairs are speedy.

No kidding.  The Enterprise took a hit end of last month. :sad:  Both my dealer and an independent shop estimated between $1400 and $1500 but the insurance only said about 60% of that.  Sounds like a bit more "adjusting" to be done. :spend:  Its going to the dealer after Thanksgiving.  A new fender is only $134.  If you blend paint into the door, the HYBRID emblem on the door must come off and can't be re-used.  A new one is $50.  But it would make a nice magnet for the fridge.  Then I'd have a hybrid fridge!  47 calories per kilowatt! :lol:

gallery_656_57_18195.jpg

Oh dear is right.  Sorry to hear of another such crunch - heart breaking in two regards.  Hope you are OK Paul !  (You don't seem to have lost your C-Max spirit !) Get well GUNNER. 

Nick

(Saw a number of deer crossing signs on Maui last week, but no deer)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Oh dear is right.  Sorry to hear of another such crunch - heart breaking in two regards.  Hope you are OK Paul !  (You don't seem to have lost your C-Max spirit !) Get well GUNNER. 

Nick

(Saw a number of dear crossing signs on Maui last week, but no dear)

They Dear signs all over here but it doesn't make a difference Dear don't care they go anywhere they want at their peril sometimes. :sad:

Paul