Unbelievably poor mileage

Laurel

I have this to say;

You are running your car in the absolute worse case scinerio. What I mean by that is this;

#1 (as everyone has mentioned) defrost is the hardest climate setting you can use.

#2 (this has not been mentioned, unless I missed it) you are running primarrily very short trips. ALL cars suffer hugely with innitial startup and the first few miles. The first 10 miles I generally see under 40mpg even in warm temps and sunny. However, my second 10 mile trip (once the car has been warmed up) is normally 50mpg. After that my mileage continues to climb until, by the end of the day, my total mileage average is typically around 57 to 58mpg (sometimes around 56mpg).

Oh, I have 36,000 miles on my car with 53psi in the tires with no problems at all. I still have tons of tread left.  :)

Matt

I have this to say;

You are running your car in the absolute worse case scinerio. What I mean by that is this;

#1 (as everyone has mentioned) defrost is the hardest climate setting you can use.

#2 (this has not been mentioned, unless I missed it) you are running primarrily very short trips. ALL cars suffer hugely with innitial startup and the first few miles. The first 10 miles I generally see under 40mpg even in warm temps and sunny. However, my second 10 mile trip (once the car has been warmed up) is normally 50mpg. After that my mileage continues to climb until, by the end of the day, my total mileage average is typically around 57 to 58mpg (sometimes around 56mpg).

Oh, I have 36,000 miles on my car with 53psi in the tires with no problems at all. I still have tons of tread left.  :)

Matt

53!!!! Sssssh...here I was thinking I was brave at 46PSI.....it does roll a TON BETTER though....

Just set the A/C to a higher temp and lower fan speed to help reduce it's impact.  You might also use the recirculation mode too.

It helps reduce A/C load by using the cabin air that's already been cooled down "VS" outside air.

I was sitting in a parking lot recently waiting for the wife to buy food and tried all three of those while watching the kWh draw and it made a HUGE difference.  Unfortunately, I can't get the wife to use recirculation and still working on getting higher AC temps as she seems to think 67 is where it should be.

My mileage did not go up much until the car hit 10000 now it is over 50mpg on any trip from 50 to 200 miles, my life time has gone from 38 to 41.3, everyday mpg avg is 44.4,  Interstate driving even with the new update to 85mph, is still in the mid 40's. Most of my trips are State local roads, at  50/60 mph. This is all C-Max computer info.

Edited by Arthur

Laurel,

Yes, the rain is back with us, eh? :(

Our Energi EV range has drops from mid-40km per charge down into mid 20km per charge with heat defrost use.

Like others have said, the defrost is the cause here. It uses both the A/C compressor, AND the heat.

Obviously, if people are getting in and out of the car with wet clothes, wet boots, etc - there is nothing you can do, you will have to keep running the defrost to keep up. The amount of super-high humidity days we get here are hard to deal with, but I have found that starting out with some defrost, then switching to vents after a few minutes is sometimes all that is needed to keep those windows clear. Limit the amount of water that comes into the cabin space - it all has to be removed by the defrosting system or it condenses on the coldest surface it can find, usually the windows.

-Ryan

p.s. Up to 13,000 km on our C-max now, we caught up and passed you!

I absolutely hate that you cannot activate defrost without turning on the AC - I just want to blow warm air on the windows. It takes longer to defrost, but it seems to then stay defrosted longer after you turn off defrost. 

Really, I'm disliking automatic climate control altogether. I would much rather control the temperature of the air coming out the vents directly. 

I absolutely hate that you cannot activate defrost without turning on the AC - I just want to blow warm air on the windows. It takes longer to defrost, but it seems to then stay defrosted longer after you turn off defrost. 

Really, I'm disliking automatic climate control altogether. I would much rather control the temperature of the air coming out the vents directly. 

Can't you push defrost and then push the A/C button to turn it off?

Adair, your AC was on... the only thing MAX Defrost adds is selecting recirc, and putting the AC on MAX AC which puts the fan on MAX. All logical features of a "MAX" setting.

It doesn't matter what the display says, "AC On" or "AC Off", you get AC in defrost mode. At least I get colder-than-ambient air whenever I run the defrost without turning up the temperature, which I don't do, to increase my %EV.

I can't recall seeing a domestic car without it...

HAve fun,

Frank

Adair, your AC was on... the only thing MAX Defrost adds is selecting recirc, and putting the AC on MAX AC which puts the fan on MAX. All logical features of a "MAX" setting.

It doesn't matter what the display says, "AC On" or "AC Off", you get AC in defrost mode. At least I get colder-than-ambient air whenever I run the defrost without turning up the temperature, which I don't do, to increase my %EV.

I can't recall seeing a domestic car without it...

HAve fun,

Frank

Yep!  Just push the button and the compressor will turn off.

Hmmmmm......sounds like 2 different opinions.

I can get 4.0 L per 100 kilometers with no climate on and the windows down LOL.  Gotta say I am not impressed with snow tires wrecking the smooth silent ride. Ugh!

Plus what they are doing to your MPG's .  Paul

If i did the math right ( um if google did the math right  ;) ) 4.0L to 100 kilometers is 60 mpg. Is that with the tires on?

Adair frbill was right with his calculation. We can get 4.0 L or 60 us mpg on a straight stretch with no climate control on and it is a nice mild day weather wise and the engine is warm. However I can only turn everything off when I'm alone as hubby won't tolerate it. Average summer mileage seems to be 5.5 L and winter maybe 7.2 L.

And you consider this BAD MILEAGE ?

Adair frbill was right with his calculation. We can get 4.0 L or 60 us mpg on a straight stretch with no climate control on and it is a nice mild day weather wise and the engine is warm. However I can only turn everything off when I'm alone as hubby won't tolerate it. Average summer mileage seems to be 5.5 L and winter maybe 7.2 L.

Ok, I'm missing something here.......come on Laurel, help me out here. I'm no good at these conversions. I'm stuck in the non-metric years!

You bet I do. Why don't you read for content before you comment? I said that 4.0 L is what can be achieved if you have nothing turned on--this is not the way anyone is going to drive this car unless they are experimenting to see what causes stinky mileage. 32 mpg gallon us is what we get for most of the year. I am commenting on mileage around town that ranges between 10 mpg /19L and 12 mpg /23 L when we take the car around town. By the time we get home the car is warmed up and then it is put away for a few hours until the next episode. The Car is housed in a garage. You can't tell me that is what we bargained for. Our window stcker is 4.0 and 4.7 L. We don't all live in California buddy!

I've read every post and don't see a problem. I offered helpful information too. Don't be a hateful idiot.

You're obviously never gonna be happy..... Go buy a Toyota, buddy!

NOTE FROM ADAIR.....We don't ever call anyone idiots..........ever! This may be acceptable on other forums, but not here. And Laurel has been around here longer than most anyone else......# 32 on the roster. So have a little respect and understanding of her frustration. We are all ...... ALL....new to hybrids and we learn from each other. But not by being insulting.

Edited by Adair

I've read every post and don't see a problem. I offered helpful information too. Don't be a hateful idiot.

You're obviously never gonna be happy..... Go buy a Toyota, buddy!

NOTE FROM ADAIR.....We don't ever call anyone idiots..........ever! This may be acceptable on other forums, but not here. And Laurel has been around here longer than most anyone else......# 32 on the roster. So have a little respect and understanding of her frustration. We are all ...... ALL....new to hybrids and we learn from each other. But not by being insulting.

So it's okay for he to be insulting to me because she's #32..............?  I don't think so, so until she learns to keep her comments civil you should consider your NOTE to her as well. It takes two to disrupt a thread and I'm not the one who started the disrespectful behavior.  Regardless of her inability to understand what to expect, it's uncalled for....and there is no excuse for it..........Thanks! 

Edited by drdiesel1